Story Brendon vs Callum vs Jono - A Worcestershire Battle

You guys can post your next match anytime over the next week, as I'll be able to post my next one next weekend/Monday.

Worcestershire vs Unicorns
Challenge Trophy - group match
29th August 2010

Teams:

Worcestershire

1. Daryl Mitchell
2. Vikram Solanki*
3. Jeff Ingram?
4. Shaaiq Choudhry
5. Alex Kervezee
6. Alan Darbon
7. Shakib Al Hasan
8. Joe Leach
9. Imran Arif
10. Matthew Mason
11. Alan Richardson

Unicorns

1. Michael O'Shea
2. Duncan Snell
3. Zoheb Sharif
4. Chris Murtagh
5. Josh Knappett?
6. Jackson Thompson
7. Keith Parsons
8. Mark Hardinges
9. Tom Mees
10. Chris Peploe
11. Carl Greenidge

Toss:

Worcestershire won the toss, and chose to bat first.

Match:

Worcestershire - 194 for 7 (40 overs)

Jeff Ingram 53 (64)
Alex Kervezee 49* (47)
Daryl Mitchell 46 (70)

Mark Hardinges 4-35 (8)
Carl Greenidge 2-40 (8)

Unicorns - 197 for 7 (34.5 overs)

Josh Knappett 52 (51)

Imran Arif 2-29 (7)
Alan Richardson 2-34 (6.5)

Result:

Unicorns win by 3 wickets, with 31 balls remaining

Unicorns 2
Worcestershire 0

MOTM:

Mark Hardinges (4 for 35 off eight overs)

Reaction:

Our 6/7/8 made a combined total of five runs, that really killed our chances of posting a decent total after a good start, as we just couldn't take advantage of the batting powerplay.

Remind me never to play this Joe Leach joker again, a first ball duck with the bat, and 44 runs off only four overs.

We were in control of the game heading into the later half of their innings, but Leach and Mitchell bowled seven overs for 69 runs between them, in the end I just gave up and didn't even bowl their eighth over, as we'd already more or less lost.

I'm pretty annoyed as we dominated the first 25 overs of both innings, but in the end we come away with nothing, thanks to some woeful death batting, and a useless performance by our fifth bowler.

haha you lost to the Unicorns :p Hopefully I have more success against them this time around...

29th August 2010
Challenge Trophy - Group Match

Teams:

Worcestershire

1. Daryl Mitchell*
2. Stuart Adler?
3. Alex Kervezee
4. Shakib Al Hasan
5. Julian Stafford
6. Jack Manuel
7. David Wheeldon
8. Imran Arif
9. Gareth Andrew
10. Jack Shantry
11. Matthew Mason

Unicorns

1. Michael O'Shea
2. Duncan Snell
3. Zoheb Sharif
4. Chris Murtagh
5. Josh Knappett?
6. Jackson Thompson
7. Keith Parsons
8. Arfan Akram
9. Mark Hardinges
10. Tom Mees
11. Chris Peploe

Toss:

Worcestershire have won the toss and elected to bowl first

Unicorns - 225/8

Jackson Thompson 71 (72)
Keith Parsons 51 (36)

Jack Shantry 2/37 (8)
Imran Arif 2/40 (8)
Gareth Andrew 2/42 (8)

Worcestershire 230/7

Julian Stafford 93* (95)
Jack Manuel 65 (50)

Chris Peploe 3/24 (7)
Mark Hardinges 1/43 (8)

Worcestershire won by 3 wickets with 6 balls remaining

Worcestershire 2
Unicorns 0

MOTM:

Julian Stafford (93* off 95)

Comments:

Well we may have won but only thanks to some great batting from Stafford and Manuel who prevented us from collapsing. Bowling first, we had them at 5/90 but Thompson and Parsons put on a huge partnership which our crap bowlers weren't able to break. Arif, Shantry and Andrew all bowled well, taking 2 wickets a piece, and going at a similar economy rate. Al Hasan was ████, taking 0/31 off 5 overs while Wheeldon took 1/35 off 6 and Mason was alright, taking 1/21 from 4 overs, with the new ball before coming on and ruining his figures by conceding 19 runs off his 5th over to finish with 1/40 from 5. Mitchell got us started with 2 sixes off the first over, before he fell for 20 off 11 balls. Adler and Kervezee both scored in double figures but couldn't go on while Al Hasan finished off a ████ game with a golden duck. We were in trouble then at 4/60 but Stafford and Manuel played well, making a 133 run partnership, before Manuel was out for 65 off 50 balls, although the match still not yet won. Stafford continued to bat superbly scoring 93* at about a run a ball, whiile Wheeldon and Arif scored 4 and 0 respectively but Andrew made sure he didn't get out and finished the match by hitting a six. Well this has been a wonder season in One Day cricket, only having lost 2 games so far out of a total 9.

Finally someone agrees with me, Fail Al Hasan is rubbish!
For the record he failed again with the bat in my latest game, scoring only 2 or 3.
I'll post his stats with my next update, as I cbf opening up the game atm.

29nd August 2010
Challenge Troph - Group Match

Playing XI?s

Worcestershire

1. Daryl Mitchell
2. Vikram Solanki*
3. Moeen Ali
4. Ben Smith
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Alex Kervezee
7. Tony Stack?
8. Imran Arif
9. Matthew Mason
10. Alan Richardson
11. Chris Russell

Unicorns

1. Michael O'Shea
2. Duncan Snell
3. Zoheb Sharif
4. Chris Murtagh
5. Josh Knappett?
6. Keith Parsons
7. Mark Hardinges
8. Tom Mees
9. David Burton
10. Chris Peploe
11. Carl Greenidge

71103039.png

Unicorns win by 3 runs

Despite good all-round performances from Mitchell and Shakib, we fell 3 runs short. Bowling first, Snell and Murtagh put on a fine partnership for the third wicket that took a long time to break. Richardson, Russell and Shakib were all expensive with the ball which led to me bowling Mitchell. He took a wicket in his first over, and then a couple more later in the innings. Mees hit out near the end however, hitting 39 off 21 at the death to push their score to 242. Solanki and Ali fell early, but Mitchell put on a good partnership with Smith to begin the rebuilding. Once Smith fell, Shakib took over, batting aggressively to push our score closer to theirs. The lower middle order collapsed however, and despite decent contributions from Arif and Richardson we couldn't hit the required runs at the end and fell 3 runs short

Worcestershire vs Somerset
30th August 2010

Teams:

Worcestershire

1. Daryl Mitchell
2. Vikram Solanki*
3. Jeff Ingram?
4. Shaaiq Choudhry
5. Alex Kervezee
6. Alan Darbon
7. Shakib Al Hasan
8. David Wheeldon
9. Imran Arif
10. Matthew Mason
11. Alan Richardson

Somerset

1. Marcus Trescothick*
2. Arul Suppiah
3. James Hildreth
4. J... Bucknall
5. Nick Compton
6. T... Boseley?
7. Peter Trego
8. Alfonso Thomas
9. Ben Phillips
10. Billy Taylor
11. Charl Willoughby

Toss:

Worcestershire won the toss, and chose to bowl first.

Match:

Somerset - 215 for 6 (40 overs)

Arul Suppiah 42 (49)
James Hildreth 41 (50)

David Wheeldon 2-47 (8)
Matthew Mason 2-58 (8)

Worcestershire - 197 all out (39.1 overs)

Daryl Mitchell 82 (106)
Alex Kervezee 40 (38)

Charl Willoughby 5-30 (8)
Ben Phillips 2-29 (8)
Peter Trego 2-60 (7.1)

Result:

Somerset win by 18 runs

Somerset 2
Worcestershire 0

MOTM:

Charl Willoughby (5 for 30 off eight overs)

Reaction:

Omg, for the second match in a row we've dominated it in parts, but yet again some terrible death bowling and some terrible death batting was where we came unstuck.

At about the 25 over mark they were scoring at three and a half an over, but they finished their innings with a run rate of almost five and a half an over.

At the 33 over mark we were on exactly the same score as they were, but for the second match in a row Fail Al Hasan failed, and so did our number eight who in this match was Wheeldon.

Fail Al Hasan has been the worst ever overseas player I've ever had, and I've been playing ICC since ICC 2.

He has a FC batting average this season of 26, and a FC bowling average of 44, while he has a OD batting average of 18. He's actually been a pretty decent OD bowler, but when you two are batting him in the top five, it just shows you how bad my luck's been with him. I'm going to go as far as saying if he'd played well this season, we would have won twice as many games this season as we have currently, so many times when he's walked to the wicket the games been in the balence (just like my last two games), and every time he's failed.

Also FTR, Solanki has a OD batting average this season of 19.

Last edited:
30th August 2010

Teams:

Worcestershire

1. Daryl Mitchell*
2. Stuart Adler?
3. Alex Kervezee
4. Julian Stafford
5. Jack Manuel
6. Ben Smith
7. David Wheeldon
8. Imran Arif
9. Gareth Andrew
10. Jack Shantry
11. Chris Russell

Somerset

1. Craig Kieswetter?
2. Marcus Trescothick*
3. James Hildreth
4. Arul Suppiah
5. Zander De Bruyn
6. Nick Compton
7. Richard Griffith
8. Alfonso Thomas
9. Alex Tudor
10. Ben Phillips
11. Charl Willoughby

Toss:

Worcestershire have won the toss and elected to bowl first

Somerset - 255/7

Marcus Trescothick 85 (101)
Arul Suppiah 51 (40)

Alex Kervezee 5/38 (8)
David Wheeldon 2/41 (8)

Worcestershire - 256/6

Daryl Mitchell 103 (92)
Alex Kervezee 85 (64)

Alex Tudor 3/64 (8)
Charl Willoughby 1/49 (8)

Worcestershire won by 4 wickets with 17 balls remaining

Worcestershire 2
Somerset 0

MOTM:

Alex Kervezee (85 off 64 and 5/38 off 8 overs)

Comments:

Alex Kervezee!!! What a legend. We were in trouble as Kieswetter and Trescothick put on a strong opening stand of 99 runs before Wheeldon came on and struck with the wicket of Kieswetter in his 2nd over. The pace bowlers were getting smashed around the park and Mitchell was taken off after conceding 12 runs in 2 overs and Kervezee came on. He took the wicket of Hildreth in his second over for 24 before Trescothick and Suppiah then went on to put on a good partnership of 50 runs before it was ended by Kervezee into his 5th over, Trecothick bowled for 85. Wheeldon was brought on for Arif who conceded 20 runs in his last over and took his second wicket before Kervezee took 3 wickets in his final over, 2 in his last 2 balls to take 5/38 off his full 8 overs, as they ended up making 255/7, a target that would be very hard to chase.

It got worse for us when Mitchell ran Adler out for 9 but Mitchell and Kervezee scored quick runs to get us to 187 before Kervezee got out for his quickfire 85 off only 64 balls. Stafford and Manuel fell early though but Smith came in after having some great form in the team as he guided Mitchell through to his 100 before getting out next ball, followed by Wheeldon but Smith and Arif made sure they got over the line with 21* off 34 and 20* off 51 respectively as we won with just under 3 overs remaining and 4 wickets in hand. If we win our next match, we will be top on the ladder (after all teams had played 11 games).

Stop posting your match just after I post mine! :rolleyes
I always lose and you always win, it's annoying. :p

30th August 2010
Challenge Troph - Group Match

Playing XI?s

Worcestershire

1. Daryl Mitchell
2. Vikram Solanki*
3. Moeen Ali
4. Shaaiq Choudhry
5. Shakib Al Hasan
6. Alex Kervezee
7. Tony Stack?
8. Imran Arif
9. Matthew Mason
10. Alan Richardson
11. Chris Russell

Somerset

1. Gerald Deakin
2. Craig Kieswetter?
3. Marcus Trescothick*
4. Kevin Ripley
5. Arul Suppiah
6. Peter Trego
7. Alfonso Thomas
8. Alex Tudor
9. Ben Phillips
10. Murali Kartik
11. Charl Willoughby

99843923.png

Somerset win by 82 runs

As usual, our bowling got flogged around to all regions of the park. Deakin and Trescothick played steady hands at the top of the order, both reaching half centuries, before Ripley and Suppiah opened up, scoring half centuries at strike rates of well over 150. Chasing, we lost wickets at regular intervals with no decent partnerships forming. Mitchell and Stack both reached half-centuries at more than a run a ball, but the next best was Kervezee's 21. Look at the worm, we were matching Somerset's rate for most of the match, before their run-laden last few overs, where Kartik ripped out the tail.

Ah, the talented Mr. Ripley! Or perhaps he of Believe It Or Not fame.:D

Sorry, couldn't resist being silly. Unfortunate result there - bad luck sir. It could have gone otherwise, but it often doesn't with Somerset, in my limited experience. I know last year irl they made the Champions League.

1st September 2010
Worcestershire vs Surrey

Teams:

Worcestershire

1. Daryl Mitchell*
2. Stuart Adler?
3. Alex Kervezee
4. Julian Stafford
5. Ben Smith
6. Shaaiq Choudhry
7. David Wheeldon
8. Imran Arif
9. Gareth Andrew
10. Jack Shantry
11. Matthew Mason

Surrey

1. Steve Davies?
2. Michael Brown
3. Usman Afzaal
4. Mark Ramprakash
5. Nick Poole
6. Rory Hamilton-Brown*
7. Chris Schofield
8. Gareth Batty
9. Chris Tremlett
10. Iftikhar Anjum
11. Andre Nel

Toss:

Surrey won the toss and elected to bat first

Surrey - 213/8

Nick Poole 70 (79)
Chris Schofield 54* (43)

Imran Arif 3/32 (8)
Jack Shantry 2/35 (8)
Alex Kervezee 2/38 (8)

Worcestershire - 214/4

Julian Stafford 106* (93)
Shaaiq Choudhry 65* (55)

Andre Nel 3/52 (8)

Worcestershire won by 6 wickets with 46 balls remaining

Worcestershire 2
Surrey 0

MOTM:

Julian Stafford (106* off 93)

Comments:

Well our One Day form has been absolutely brilliant. We started off great with the ball, having them at 3/19, before they fought back to 4/64 but Poole and Hamilton-Brown played well, with a 68 run partnership. We got them down to 8/168 after that but Schofield and Anjum put on a 45 run partnership to finish 213/8. Arif bowled really well, taking 3/32, taking the wickets of English keeper Steve Davies, dangerous batsman Nick Poole and Chris Tremlett. Shantry had got us off to the great start, taking the wickets of Brown and Afzaal to finish with 2/35 from 8 overs. Kervezee meanwhile continued his good bowling form backing up his 5/38 against Somerset with 2/38 against Surrey. Mason took the only other wicket, to finish with 1/46 from 6 overs. Wheeldon and Andrew both went at over 6 an over.

Andre Nel ripped through our top order though, to have us at 3/24 before it got worse for us when Stafford ran Smith out for 15 after putting on a fifty run partnership to have us at 4/74. Stafford put that behind him though to make a stunning unbeaten century, his first of the year in One Day cricket while Choudry on One Day debut scored 65* off only 55 balls as we recorded a comfortable victory to go top of the ladder for the first time this season. We will need to probably win our final game to go through to the next stage though, unless we finish as the best second place finisher over the 3 groups.

Worcestershire vs Surrey
1st September 2010

Teams:

Worcestershire

1. Daryl Mitchell
2. Vikram Solanki*
3. Jeff Ingram?
4. Alex Kervezee
5. Alan Darbon
6. Jack Manuel
7. Shakib Al Hasan
8. David Wheeldon
9. Imran Arif
10. Matthew Mason
11. Alan Richardson

Surrey

1. Steve Davies?
2. Michael Brown
3. Younis Khan
4. Usman Afzaal
5. Mark Ramprakash
6. Rory Hamilton-Brown*
7. Chris Schofield
8. Gareth Batty
9. Jade Dernbach
10. Chris Tremlett
11. Andre Nel

Toss:

Surrey won the toss, and chose to bat first.

Match:

Surrey - 251 for 5 (40 overs)

Steve Davies 97 (104)
Younis Khan 85 (94)

Alan Richardson 4-44 (8)

Worcestershire - 209 for 9 (40 overs)

Alan Darbon 65 (72)

Andre Nel 3-37 (8)
Chris Schofield 3-39 (8)
Chris Tremlett 2-27 (8)

Result:

Surrey win by 42 runs

Surrey 2
Worcestershire 0

MOTM:

Steve Davies (97 runs off 104 balls and two catches)

Reaction:

We just got outplayed again, an alright batting effort, but our bowlers done no where near enough in restricting them.

Users who are viewing this thread