Brett Lee The World Best Fast Bowler At The Moment?

nah did you watch his speed that time?

Read the title of the thread. It says "The world best fast bowler". Pace is a component in making someone the best fast bowler - numbers on a speed gun are measures of the speed from release, they only pay a contributing factor as to the effect of pace.

Furthermore, the title says "at the moment", so why are you whining on about the '99 world cup or anything in the past. You must admit that you are horribly biased in thinking that Shoaib Akhtar is the world's best fast bowler at the moment. At the moment, he cannot string two balls at 90mph together; there goes his number one weapon which was sustained pace. Furthermore, he can barely bowl five overs on the trot, he is unfit even when bowling at half pace. He is in some good form, but he is still nothing compared to Steyn or Lee based on current form.

usy said:
He bowled the quickest against england in 2003 WC
Played comfortably (-ish) though by Nick Knight;).

Shoaib Akhtar is a very good fast bowler. He is perhaps the quickest of all time. However, based on current form, he pales in comparison to Brett Lee and Dale Steyn. He is a drug user, a violent person and an overall mental wreck, judging by his actions covered by the cricketing media (there is no conspiracy here). Based on career form, he has not played enough Tests to be counted as one of the all time greats because of injuries. In ODIs, economy rate of 4.64 is not that good, strike rate of 29.9 is not breathtaking. Very good, but not great.

He has sacrifised accuracy for pace. He pushes his body to the level where it throws itself off balance and all the straight lines of the action go to pot. This has meant he is wasted potential and with his body weak, he will always be wasted. Speed guns corrupted Akhtar, watch Brett Lee bowl, he bowls mid 140s (which Akhtar could have done comfortably in his prime) but the accuracy and swing is brilliant becuase Lee pushes his body to the limit whilst keeping it balanced. Watch Jeff Thompson bowl, he has been timed at 161kph but most of his balls do not look near that pace because he saved his energy for his bouncers and yorkers which could consequently be very fast. Ian Pont made a comment on cricketweb saying that Akhtar was smart about how to gain pace through action modifications, but I say that he is not smart on how to use it and now he is a great potential, with a poor record and a body which is paying the price of abuse in the persuit of pace.

I say yes. He'd have competition from Bond if he was fit etc. though.

But could he ever be fit with an action like that? Paradox if I ever saw one.

I stand by my statement that he's just a fat useless old man nowadays. yes he was pretty decent back in the days before he found out about steds and cream cakes, but he's just going downhill now. Time to get a new idol Usy.

Oh and go ahead and abuse Rooney, I have absolutely no idea what relevance that has to anything, but please go ahead and abuse one of the country's finest young sportsmen if you so desire.

He is not fat. He is muscular. He is not old, he is 32. He talked about abusing Rooney because he thinks that he is a similar idol to British people as Akhtar is to Pakistanis.

Last edited:
We need to see how Steyn does once the honeymoon period ends. However, on form alone (ignoring today, because he is injured), I would have him in a Test World XI because of his amazing wicket taking ability. He'll always be expensive, but with a strike rate of 39.4, he can afford to be.

I see you don't watch much cricket. Dale Steyn opens the bowling for South Africa and is around the spot of quickest bowler in the world, perhaps behind Shaun Tait and level with Brett Lee.

Oh i do watch plenty of cricket. But i don't have Fox sports which is pay tv. Anyway Fox sports broadcast international matches where as channel 9 don't. They only broadcast cricket matches that involve Australia playing.

Aktar one of the finest cricketers ever?!?!?

Hey man, I'm talking about the fear which shoaib gives with his slow bowl, get it?

SHoaib is Fast, he is a match winner. One of the finnest Cricketers ever produced.

When he is running in you know something is gonne happen.

You've got to be joking. This is the funniest thing i've heard so far in 2008 and frankly will take some beating!

Yep, definitely Steyn second at the moment.

ATM I would say yes, Steyn is close on his heals though. Lee is just that bit more consistent especially this season where he continues to take bags of wickets.

But could he ever be fit with an action like that? Paradox if I ever saw one.

He changed his action after the last injury. Unlike Lee, he just wasn't blessed with the genetics to make his body withstand the same strain.

Steyn at his best is probably the best, but you can't say that. He's inconsistent. Lee has been inconsistent through the first bunch of his career, but in the last few years and especially this one he's changed that.

Tait'll be up there in a couple of years i think. A little bit of training from the Aussie coaches and i think he could easily take a test place, he's far and away the quickest bowler in the world atm, tends to be consistently 2-3mph above Lee, and i'm sure that he'll be the first bowler to hit 105mph, he'll have the world record before too long. Lee and Steyn are the 2 guys at the top of the tree atm, and are going to take something special to knock them off. Jimmy Anderson'll be the best in the world this time next year though ;)

:p

Tait'll be up there in a couple of years i think. A little bit of training from the Aussie coaches and i think he could easily take a test place, he's far and away the quickest bowler in the world atm, tends to be consistently 2-3mph above Lee, and i'm sure that he'll be the first bowler to hit 105mph, he'll have the world record before too long. Lee and Steyn are the 2 guys at the top of the tree atm, and are going to take something special to knock them off. Jimmy Anderson'll be the best in the world this time next year though ;)

:p

really is James Anderson really getting better? I haven't heard much of him. Any big bags of wickets for Jimmy.

Lee and Steyn at the moment definitely. Lee's vastly improved. It's as if he now bowls the McGrath line with more pace. Steyn's stats and figures for the past few months have been pretty damn awesome too. Both are quick and swing the ball, I would love to see these two in tandem right now.

He was joking.

i considered that for like a second but was like who cares and wrote the post. Anyway in my opinion Brett Lee has gone a tad slower but has developed that outswinger and accuracy beautifully. In the past he was just bouncer or yorker or around those lengths and consistently 145 km. But know he has a great balance and getting plenty more bagfuls of wickets.

Andre Nel is good than both.

Joking.

Lee and Steyn best right now. Bond is best though when hes playing.

I agree, Lee & Steyn. Although, Steyn only bowls low 140's.

Bond's the best when his playing though.

I love watching Dale Steyn bowl. Champion.

Users who are viewing this thread