Doctor's Pro-AI Patches

Ok, so I've been giving this patch a good run now. It took me a few goes to get into the swing of batting, trying to work out where the shots go and all that.

Now I've got a game at Aus 2/200 vs NZ (after tea, day 1), so I feel I've seen much of the game so far.

First up, I love what you've done with the sixhits. It now works more like a "power" button, which is what it should have been. In most patches, where there's no 3rd Man, I've got every confidence that sixhitting a cut will (unrealistically) pop up in the air to gully or a slip. Being able to safely hit the ball clear of the infield to exploit a gap is almost better to me than hitting the ball for six. It also rings true with the mantra "If you're gonna go, go hard", I am now happy to have a fling with the sixhit through the covers, for a rather dashing lofted drive.

I don't know if advancing down the wicket has ever been more fun. To come down the track and hit the ball over the bowler's head is a delight and is a treat for the odd spectator you might have. Again, it makes more sense than what was originally intended. If you charge the bowler, you don't have a little dab of an on-drive, you are looking to score big!

Overall, I've found, as opposed to other patches, I can feel a lot of bad balls. Like when you get a ball full on middle stump, I know it will go to the midwicket boundary.

There are downsides, though. Not necessarily unique to this patch, however.

Batting against medium pace drives me insane. They bowl half their deliveries down the legside, even standing with all 3 stumps exposed, you can't hit a lot of balls. They don't ever seem to get enough bounce short of a length, I can't remember seeing a successful cut or pull. As you can imagine though, this is a highly irrelevant area, unless your opponent is New Zealand.

I'm not too crazy about the standard on-drive which goes behind square. It just feels a little silly. This might be countered by the fact that this might be the first patch in a long time where the ball can actually be glanced down to fine leg. The backfoot on-drive confuses me a lot. I love using it, but I don't really understand it. Does it ever go in front of square?

Definitely not unique to this patch is the batsmens inability to hook or pull. It may be easier than I suspect, but I just don't ever have the confidence bars to spare searching for the ideal ball to hit. In my opinion, the bat should at least make contact with any ball around waist to chest height and straight, in particular, long hops from medium pacers and spinners. This is a shining example of a shot that should be about "power" and not "sixhit". They should be predominantly grounded, with the odd one, perfectly timed, flying clear over the rope.

Overall though, a great patch for batting, that should only get better.

@ angryangy -
First of all thank you very-very much for such a thorough feedback on batting aspect of my patch. I really appreciate it. :hpraise :hpraise :hpraise :hpraise :clap :clap

Now, the issues ->
angryangy said:
First up, I love what you've done with the sixhits. It now works more like a "power" button, which is what it should have been. In most patches, where there's no 3rd Man, I've got every confidence that sixhitting a cut will (unrealistically) pop up in the air to gully or a slip. Being able to safely hit the ball clear of the infield to exploit a gap is almost better to me than hitting the ball for six. It also rings true with the mantra "If you're gonna go, go hard", I am now happy to have a fling with the sixhit through the covers, for a rather dashing lofted drive.

Yeah thanks, I knew this idea is going to be liked by everyone, when I implemented it. :happy :happy

angryangy said:
I don't know if advancing down the wicket has ever been more fun. To come down the track and hit the ball over the bowler's head is a delight and is a treat for the odd spectator you might have. Again, it makes more sense than what was originally intended. If you charge the bowler, you don't have a little dab of an on-drive, you are looking to score big!

Glad, its working well. :cheers :cheers

angryangy said:
Overall, I've found, as opposed to other patches, I can feel a lot of bad balls. Like when you get a ball full on middle stump, I know it will go to the midwicket boundary.
yeah, that's the way it should be. You should be able to punish every bad ball. :cheers :cheers

angryangy said:
Batting against medium pace drives me insane. They bowl half their deliveries down the legside, even standing with all 3 stumps exposed, you can't hit a lot of balls. They don't ever seem to get enough bounce short of a length, I can't remember seeing a successful cut or pull. As you can imagine though, this is a highly irrelevant area, unless your opponent is New Zealand.

Yeah, I know that's really irritating sometimes, when the medium pacers ball too many balls down the leg side. I've tried it,given some thoughts on it and come to conclusion that, its something to do with players abilities, rather than with AI patching, because if you make them ball tighter line, all the main bowlers start bowling that Mcgrath line, which is even more frustating. (..I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.).
So, my suggetion to you is, use the Player Editor and change the abilities of the players, whom you think is required.
Btw, Are you using any updated roster made by our members?? :onpc

angryangy said:
I'm not too crazy about the standard on-drive which goes behind square. It just feels a little silly. This might be countered by the fact that this might be the first patch in a long time where the ball can actually be glanced down to fine leg. The backfoot on-drive confuses me a lot. I love using it, but I don't really understand it. Does it ever go in front of square?
Yeah angy, it definitely goes in front of square,again depends on your timming though, and if you want to see the efficiency of that shot, just watch out how well CPU plays that shot. It can go anywhere from fine leg to midwicket. :onpc

angryangy said:
Definitely not unique to this patch is the batsmens inability to hook or pull. It may be easier than I suspect, but I just don't ever have the confidence bars to spare searching for the ideal ball to hit. In my opinion, the bat should at least make contact with any ball around waist to chest height and straight, in particular, long hops from medium pacers and spinners. This is a shining example of a shot that should be about "power" and not "sixhit". They should be predominantly grounded, with the odd one, perfectly timed, flying clear over the rope.
Yeah, I agree with you mate. This is the area where not only I but every patchmaker here is working very hard without any success (..or may be little bit of success). :( :( :( Again, poor poor poor EA.................... :mad: :mad: :mad :mad :mad :mad :swords :swords :getyou :getyou :getyou :whip :whip :whip
but I promise you, that I'll have a go at it again. :upray

angryangy said:
Overall though, a great patch for batting, that should only get better.
O.k., so this was about batting. Glad that you liked it. :happy
Now, I request you to please try out bowling as well. I'm sure it will definitely be a whole new experience altogether + watch out CPU's tactics,as they approach there inning.
:onpc

Thanks once again for such a wonderful feedback. :) :happy :hpraise
C.D. :onpc

Last edited:
ashu2411 said:
Thanks fir that reply. I agree with your six-hit arrangement. Bowling was good in test matches. No problem of any kind and everything was perfect. You have to bowl strategically to get wickets which I really liked.
Thanks mate.
Enjoy!!!!! :cheers :cheers

angryangy said:
I'll get there, just got to make more runs first.
Yeah right, post a good total on the board first. :cheers

plays with ur patch and finally u got 7 out of 10 points for the patch, keep it up and make good patch for ODI's too.

plus point in ur patch is scoring rate is slow compared to other patches, 6 hit shot blocked, more swing and its hard to play in 2nd innings compared to 1st one.

minus point, u can hit lot of fours on leg side, leg side shots not looks so realistic, usually the matches played r on green pitches.

but overall its good patch to play with.

y2j826 said:
plays with ur patch and finally u got 7 out of 10 points for the patch, keep it up and make good patch for ODI's too.

plus point in ur patch is scoring rate is slow compared to other patches, 6 hit shot blocked, more swing and its hard to play in 2nd innings compared to 1st one.

minus point, u can hit lot of fours on leg side, leg side shots not looks so realistic, usually the matches played r on green pitches.

but overall its good patch to play with.
Thanks for your feedback mate. :hpraise
Leg side shots are made more easier to play,just to ensure you put more bad balls away, but I'll definitely look into that next time. :onpc

Last edited:
hey well done your patch is very good. i like the cpu pacing in test matches keep it up

1 minor issue is that sometimes the batsman leaves alone the yorker or straight delivery and in a result is lbw

Cric doc should work for ea sports developing cricket games, I'll tell you he'd do well.

I rate this patch 10/10, I was bored but once I installed is patch, I never get bored of playing it again, I recommend this patch for any cricket lover.........Brilliant stuff. :cheers

Cric doc are you thinking of doing a odi patch?

Hi Bro,

I downloaded your patch cpl of days, havent gotten around to really work on it. 1 thing did jum out, CPU plays the flick to fine leg for just about any full pitched delivery even if it is outside off!!!Will explore in detail and let u know the info.-KB

jazz said:
hey well done your patch is very good. i like the cpu pacing in test matches keep it up
Thanks for your feedback mate, and glad that you liked it. :hpraise :hpraise :cheers
jazz said:
1 minor issue is that sometimes the batsman leaves alone the yorker or straight delivery and in a result is lbw.

I'm sure it won't happen all the time, in the beginning of the inning it may happen sometimes. :onpc :happy :cheers

bkannan said:
Hi Bro,

I downloaded your patch cpl of days, havent gotten around to really work on it. 1 thing did jum out, CPU plays the flick to fine leg for just about any full pitched delivery even if it is outside off!!!Will explore in detail and let u know the info.-KB
Thanks mate, :hpraise :hpraise :happy keep them coming. :cheers :cheers

Indiangod said:
Cric doc should work for ea sports developing cricket games, I'll tell you he'd do well.

I rate this patch 10/10, I was bored but once I installed is patch, I never get bored of playing it again, I recommend this patch for any cricket lover.........Brilliant stuff. :cheers

Cric doc are you thinking of doing a odi patch?
Thanks again mate.!!!!! :hpraise :hpraise

Had some time yesterday to test out the patch further(used When we Bowl),and tried my bowling out.Looking really good,I can see that you've personally tested it out quite a bit before releasing it finally.Well Done and looking forward to your future patches.

sid_19840 said:
Had some time yesterday to test out the patch further(used When we Bowl),and tried my bowling out.Looking really good,I can see that you've personally tested it out quite a bit before releasing it finally.Well Done and looking forward to your future patches.
Thanks mate. I appreciate it. :hpraise :hpraise :hpraise :hpraise :hpraise

Hey cricket doctor,

I have mixed feelings about your patch. I find the batting a little strange. I understand & appreciate your philosophy behind the patch re batting, but I reckon that if I want to try hitting the ball in the air I should be able to hit it in the air. Also, your back foot on drive makes the pull/hook redundant. Also, the outfield is too fast for my taste. Even a badly timed shot is guaranteed to go to the boundary.

Having said that, the AI and ball movement (esp seam) is excellent. I love this aspect of your patch. The CPU plays a good innings, and you have made it hard enough for us that it is a real challenge.

I did an experiment with Boss's batting file and outfield settings (cpgv5) and your AI file. Even though Boss's batting is normally a quick/high scoring thing, I was unable to score any decent runs unless I played like a proper test batsman. I also compared your patch to Boss's Extreme cpgv4. Yours is harder, but more fun & realistic.

So, after all that, I guess what I'm saying is that I don't really care for the batting part of your patch, but the AI part makes it so that even with Boss's batting I have to play ground strokes. And then the CPU team bats really well also. This is an awesome patch!!!!!!!! I love your work. I look forward to seeing your next patch, hopefully with revised batting. Yours is the first AI I have come across that makes it difficult without seeming artificial. Fantastic stuff mate :)

:happy :happy :happy

gonzo99 said:
Hey cricket doctor,

I have mixed feelings about your patch. I find the batting a little strange. I understand & appreciate your philosophy behind the patch re batting, but I reckon that if I want to try hitting the ball in the air I should be able to hit it in the air. Also, your back foot on drive makes the pull/hook redundant. Also, the outfield is too fast for my taste. Even a badly timed shot is guaranteed to go to the boundary.

Having said that, the AI and ball movement (esp seam) is excellent. I love this aspect of your patch. The CPU plays a good innings, and you have made it hard enough for us that it is a real challenge.

I did an experiment with Boss's batting file and outfield settings (cpgv5) and your AI file. Even though Boss's batting is normally a quick/high scoring thing, I was unable to score any decent runs unless I played like a proper test batsman. I also compared your patch to Boss's Extreme cpgv4. Yours is harder, but more fun & realistic.

So, after all that, I guess what I'm saying is that I don't really care for the batting part of your patch, but the AI part makes it so that even with Boss's batting I have to play ground strokes. And then the CPU team bats really well also. This is an awesome patch!!!!!!!! I love your work. I look forward to seeing your next patch, hopefully with revised batting. Yours is the first AI I have come across that makes it difficult without seeming artificial. Fantastic stuff mate :)

:happy :happy :happy

Hi Gonzo,
:cool:

This is one of the best feedback that I've got for my patch. Thanks a lot mate. I really appreciate this. :clap :clap :hpraise :hpraise :hpraise :hpraise :clap :hpraise

Yes, I agree with whatever you've posted here. I'll definitely work on batting in my next patch. :onpc

About Bowling against CPU and CPU's batting strategy :-
I knew even before the release of my patch that this aspect of my patch is going to be loved by all,as I know it is perfect. so, I was expecting this kind of feedbacks from you all. :happy :happy :happy :cheers :cheers :cheers

Thanks once again. :hpraise :hpraise
and just wait for a surprise. :cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread