Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

That's why I'm crediting EA for what they did. They were pioneers of the batting controls we saw in IC 2010 and now DBC and they did it nearly a decade back on PS2 :eek:

EA Cricket 07 sucked due to poor AI and repetitive bowling but they nailed the batting part on PS2 with that behind the wk camera. Now it's fashionable to take shots at EA but they did do a great job with EA Cricket 07 and were just an iteration or two away from nailing cricket as a sport in a video game. I would love for them to re-enter the cricket video gaming market as more competition can only be good for cricket video gaming and fans like us.

I know many of the guys at EA and I am a fan of their work, they have some of the best talent the industry has ever seen, however it cannot be said that DBC's batting is based on anything found in EA Cricket 07 / IC2010. We took a great risk in departing from the past control schemes, I really don't think it's fair on the BA team to say that they merely finished off what EA started.

I know many of the guys at EA and I am a fan of their work, they have some of the best talent the industry has ever seen, however it cannot be said that DBC's batting is based on anything found in EA Cricket 07 / IC2010. We took a great risk in departing from the past control schemes, I really don't think it's fair on the BA team to say that they merely finished off what EA started.

I said EA were the first ones to deviate from the conventional batting controls in that they introduced left & right stick for batting and were the first to introduce behind the wk batsman view while batting. DBC does have a similar batting concept but it's clear you have done it not only for batting but bowling as well. That colored ring around the ball instead of marker on the pitch, no HUDs etc. is unique and not seen anywhere else.

If you see the thread and the context of my post, you will see I wasn't having a go at DBC but merely pointing out that EA aren't all that bad as they are made out to be and have contributed quite a lot to cricket gaming genre. If it seems like I was saying DBC merely copied EA that was not my intent.

Last edited:
Brian Lara Cricket 99 had a backfoot/frontfoot selection. It wasn't on a joystick but that didn't matter. EA put it on the joystick and called it the "skillstick" but really it was just two buttons mapped to a joystick.

I said EA were the first ones to deviate from the conventional batting controls in that they introduced left & right stick for batting and were the first to introduce behind the wk batsman view while batting. DBC does have a similar batting concept but it's clear you have done it not only for batting but bowling as well. That colored ring around the ball instead of marker on the pitch, no HUDs etc. is unique and not seen anywhere else.

If you see the thread and the context of my post, you will see I wasn't having a go at DBC but merely pointing out that EA aren't all that bad as they are made out to be and have contributed quite a lot to cricket gaming genre. If it seems like I was saying DBC merely copied EA that was not my intent.

I wasn't saying you were having a go, I was just making things clear. I did read all of the prior pages (as I do :) ).

I would be. SA are no pushovers. Just can't picture that happening right now.

I'm not suggesting we will whitewash but that is exactly the kind of comments being made about the English side after the Gabba test. Just saying.

I wasn't saying you were having a go, I was just making things clear. I did read all of the prior pages (as I do while i rest my thumbs which are aching from 8 hour marathon in DBC against Mike :) ).

Corrected

Also probably not fair to blanket 'EA sucks'. There are many studios/subsidiaries around the world that seem to differ alot from one another in the way they push their games out.. or maybe that's just top-down influience from the marketing/financial part of EA.It's THEM that need to keep their hands out of the game making side of the company.

The DBC control scheme is unlike anything we've seen before. If anything it's closer to "Little Master" cricket than it is to EA07 or IC10. It's control over shots way beyond anything before, and is way above comparison.

Something about career mode, say I was an English player how would I get myself in to the ipl or other domestic leagues? Would there be an auction type thing? Or would you just be told your playing for whoever?

Cricket 2007 on PS2 had an option to play cricket using conventional controls or using century stick controls from behind the wk angle where wk was half-invisible and you can actually see the ball through the wk.

You used left stick for footwork (LS up for front foot & back for back foot shot) and right stick for the direction of shot. It was quite brilliant to play on PS2 but the major problem was that it didn't support 360 degree shot selection. If you have EA Cricket 2007 on PS2 try the game with behind the camera angle and you will see what I mean.

EA Cricket 2007 is the only cricket game I can go back to play (since the AC09 servers were taken down) and have kept my PS2 only for that game.

It is if you played the game on PS2 with behind the wk camera.

True. To expand on it, depending on how much you pushed the RS determined the power of the shot in ea07.

I think one of the reasons why you never see a 150 kph bouncer is that it'd be a wide over the batsman's head (and possibly the keeper's too!)

Morne Morkel bowled a 149.5 Kph bouncer in the first test. If that wasn't a wide Larwood/Johnson would be fine.

Which relies on doing the impossible on a controller, making slight and precise movements on an analogue stick with perfect timing.

Yeah, EA's century stick is the closest control scheme we've seen to DBC so far, but it's still very different. And bowling was ignored totally.

Which relies on doing the impossible on a controller, making slight and precise movements on an analogue stick with perfect timing.

Yeah, EA's century stick is the closest control scheme we've seen to DBC so far, but it's still very different. And bowling was ignored totally.

And AI

Users who are viewing this thread