Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Issues and Anomalies

Status
Not open for further replies.
That all said, only at least two free patches? Charging for patches is one of those no-nos in the gaming world. I know what you mean, but saying "free" and "patch" together is one of those things that might get people a bit suspicious. I recall the Kerbal Space Program creators having an issue when they even mentioned the possibility of making an expansion park some day off in the distant future.

I have to be very conservative in my language. All patches will be free, I am committing to two of them for now.

The first patch will change some of the issues of balance in the game and the career mode fix.

The second will add functionality including Online Tournaments and online/offline co-op, and no doubt a number of fixes that arise out of discussions with the community.

Speaking of sequels though, at this time do you think there will there be enough money from this first iteration to secure the future of them, or is it still too early to say? Is the companies overall goal to produce a yearly cricket game, or one every few years?

A cricket game every year would ruin my marriage.

PSN Leaderboard for career mode

Gday Guys, I will delete this thread once the answer is given, sorry for making another thread but

Does anyone know how you score points on the PSN career leader baord

for some reason i have been stuck on 12717 points for like 3 dyas, I am getting substantiually better at the game, and have moved into my 3rd year in career mode, but i am simply not scoring anymore points

why is this? how do you score points?

cheers guys

Yes you can do it all the time. Keep all 11 fielders in the ring and bowl wicket to wicket and the AI will keep doing this. Get run out and keep giving catches

4. Even with the great strides made this week I will not make money from this game, I will hopefully from the sequels.

Dude, this is sad. I hired the game to check it out before I bought (been burnt by too many cricket games in the past) - and it's a stunning achievement, notwithstanding the issues and anomalies that currently exist.

You deserve to make money on this, and I'm sad that you won't.

I'll be buying it as soon as I have an income again.

4. Even with the great strides made this week I will not make money from this game, I will hopefully from the sequels. I have committed to at least two free patches.

:eek:

This is slightly surprising that you will not make much money out of this gem. Not a good statement to hear however the hope that there will be future iterations of this makes my day. :cheers

On a similar note, if you can share a break even point or estimated sales for this game?

It would be very, very difficult to split the difficulty levels, not saying we wont in the longer term provide for this but it is not as simple as you put forward.

Thanks Ross - I was wondering about this as I felt (from a layman's perspective) that splitting difficulties would be the easiest way to resolve some of the game "imbalance" issues people are having (personally I'm an "Amateur" batsman and a "Pro" bowler at the moment).

The difficulties you mentioned - do these apply only to the more complex split @Alberts has suggested or equally to the more "simple" splitting of difficulties between batting and bowling?

I'd disagree with most of your statement.

I, personally, have found that over time my batting is slowly improving, to the point where I'm probably at the lower realistic level of the number of runs expected of a #9 order bowler. My skills are still VERY minimal, but I have found that with careful planning I can at least contribute a bit for my team. Every time I go out there I am learning from my mistakes, and every time I loose my wicket it is because of a mistake I am making, not the game.

The ease for bowling, for me, is mostly related to the bug of the dead-eye and quick fielders. If I bowl the good length and in line, the batsman can't really do a lot with it. But doing that for even 3 overs straight is neigh impossible with the control scheme and my ability to focus, and I am always getting punished when I push it down leg or just too wide on the off side. Now that my skills are improving to the point I can actually see the swing and cut of the ball, the lower order batsman are starting to struggle against me, which is good and realistic.

Early on, before I got my accuracy down pat and worked out the timing window, I was probably getting more wickets than I do now, simply because every wild shot was being punished, but that caused opportunities to the overpowered AI fielders. I've gone from an average of 6+ runs an over in a 4 day match with about 4 wickets from 10 overs to 2.5 runs an over for usually 2 or 3 wickets from 10.

Apart from my actual player level improving, and perhaps my knowledge of when the ball is in a certain condition to favor different types of deliveries, I don't think my bowling figures will improve to any dramatic extent, and the upcoming patch will definately make bowling harder (or at least keep the batsman in longer).

HAHA this is where the emotive posting is usually directed. Not at BigAnt but people who don't have the game, played the game for a minimal amount of time or only play career mode but yet think they have a better handle on the game than most that have actually put in a bit of time.

If you are playing career mode as a bowler who bats at 9 chances are you will not notice the imbalance between bat and ball. Go play a few Tests, ODIs or t20s on Pro or Amateur then you might know what some of us are talking about.

You start your post by disagreeing with mine, then later on you go on and talk about how you are still getting used to batting and how you have to plan for batting but straight after that you talk about "The ease for bowling, for me".

^^^That is the exact point i made.

If you are already finding bowling much easier why are you of the opinion that your batting will get better and your bowling will regress?

"I don't think my bowling figures will improve to any dramatic extent" They will

Guys I can't get my head around the linking issue in career mode, If I "get best" and play other modes, will everything then be linked correctly and players be in their correct roles?

Thinking about stopping career until the patch comes, but if I play other modes I want get best teams :yes

It would be very, very difficult to split the difficulty levels, not saying we wont in the longer term provide for this but it is not as simple as you put forward.

Cricket is not a simple game to code it is a finely balanced game that has evolved over centuries, rushing to quick change is not good for the long term, conservative considered change is the way to go.

The second part everyone agrees with pretty much.

Im not sure the first part works that well anyway even if you could do it.
I think its the difficulty levels themselves that need to be adjusted.

Personally I dont think batting difficulty ramps up properly on the current difficulty settings. I need a whole new option somewhere in the middle.

Amateur is way too easy 6 sixes an over isnt difficult or uncommon. The window for accurate timing of shots must be huge. While thats fun for a few games at the start its obvious why that would lose its luster quickly.

Pro (for me) is way too hard. In career I cant score. I play defensive for an over or two but the moment I try to score I get out.

I dont understand why you chose to make the gap so large between the settings. I 100% agree that there should be challenging settings. The longevity of the game depends on it. However Theres 5 difficulty levels. The first one I didnt even know existed, I cant imagine how easy that must be considering novice which is very easy in itself. Surely the difficulty could have been evenly ramped up over the course of those 5 levels.

To me it seems easier to change amateur to novice with the same setup behind the scenes. Then make amateur similar to pro but with an increased timing window for batting. Having it this way would be people could practice their skills in casual matches and actually improve before entering career mode which isnt possible on amateur as it currently stands.

If there is a simple way to tone down fielder powers then that should be done in the short term too. I think even the most staunch supporters agree that theres something wrong with the athleticism and throwing accuracy of every fielder. Toning those down would go a long way towards balancing bowling and batting on pro and above.

At the end of the day you guys know what you can and cant do and I know nothing except that the current setup doesnt cater to me at all. And that makes me sad.

HAHA this is where the emotive posting is usually directed.

Wow.. so you get emotive at me when I try and give a level headed, un-attacking, (what I would consider) intelligent response to your post. That's mature.

Not at BigAnt but people who don't have the game, played the game for a minimal amount of time or only play career mode but yet think they have a better handle on the game than most that have actually put in a bit of time.

Well, I was giving my personal opinion, and clearly stating as being my personal opinion, where as your comment gave the indication of a sweeping broad assessment of what you think most people will/do believe.

Yes, I have not put a huge amount of time into the game. I have played different modes at different difficulty levels, but I also, initially (as I mentioned) found a huge difference between the perceived imbalance between bowling and batting, yet the longer I play, and with knowledge of the upcoming patch, am confident that the difficulty difference will be alot smaller.

If you are playing career mode as a bowler who bats at 9 chances are you will not notice the imbalance between bat and ball. Go play a few Tests, ODIs or t20s on Pro or Amateur then you might know what some of us are talking about.

Why should I play on pro or amateur when I'm already getting a realistic game out of playing legend? The idea of different difficulty levels is so you can move up when you are finding the game, in general, too easy. I'm not going to flog a dead horse about the difference at the moment because, as mentioned many a time, a patch is coming in which will hopefully address the main issues.

You start your post by disagreeing with mine, then later on you go on and talk about how you are still getting used to batting and how you have to plan for batting but straight after that you talk about "The ease for bowling, for me".

^^^That is the exact point i made.

Yes, batting for me is currently realistic in difficulty and what I'd expect from a batsman of my skill and 'age', along with my own personal experience with the game. Bowling is a complete different story, and I thought I made myself totally clear when I mentioned that bowling is not an indication of the difficulty in handling the control scheme or how the batsman performs, but how the fielders perform. Collapses in the batters that I cause is due to the overpowered fielders, not due to the ease of the bowling mechanics.

If you are already finding bowling much easier why are you of the opinion that your batting will get better and your bowling will regress?

"I don't think my bowling figures will improve to any dramatic extent" They will

My batting will get better because I have so far spent 95% of my game time bowling and only a small portion batting. Had I played as a batsman, I'd probably be closer to my peak as a batsman. My bowling skill will not regress as time goes on, however, my bowling/team results should reduce come the next patch.

There may be issues with the batting progression in the game, however lets just see how people fell about it two weeks after the first patch and then we will start to get a good idea of where people are really at.

FIFA 14 | FAILS, GLITCHES & BUGS [HD] - YouTube
FIFA 14 | FAILS, GLITCHES & BUGS [HD] - YouTube

Have a look at this. This is one of the sports titles with the biggest budgets

So now people are comparing it to games like Fifa and GTA, man those games are so huge that bugs could be ignored but in a game like cricket where therez not much to do how ?an the bugs be ignored. Those games were complexed games so there is a chance that there might be sum bugs but cricket is such a simple game that many good quality cricket games are available on android even but still Big Ant creates a game with such noticable bugs, that exactly shows why Big Ant is such a famous company ?Sarcasticly? =D
And what i mentioned that was nt just any bug, it was an unavoidable mistake, the whole opposition gets run out foolishly everytime in T10, this cant be ignored. And itz the same on every difficulty so whats the use of difficulty settings.

Having played both in roughly equal measure (I've actually probably done more batting), the batting does seem far harder, but I am improving over time. Having racked up something of the order of 30 hours of play you'd hope I'd be somewhat proficient however. The issue I see here is mostly that the difficulty in the batting might turn some players off if they are stuck in a position of mauling the AI while bowling, but struggling while batting.

On the batting front in general though, finally got a century, with Doolan while dining on a mix of the leg side bowling and the bowlers losing 30+ km.h^-1 of pace having bowled more than 5 overs. Currently got Doolan on 103* from 75. I guess if you can't stop them bowling at your leg stump (or down the leg side), embrace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread