Don Bradman Cricket 14 - World Premiere Discussion

So youre telling me you think it came off the bat at a reasonable, realistic pace?

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

Last edited:
[/COLOR]Can someone explain to me using Dr Pomers methods how Golf works?

It is beyond our comprehension. Sadly we studied physics based on Earth. Doesnt seem like Dr. Pomers did so.

----------

So youre telling me you think it came off the bat at a reasonable, realistic pace?

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

Ok time for a physics lesson for you then.

The ball already had a speed X on it while meeting the bat. The bat has a speed Y with the swing. They meet and the ball continues to move in the same direction with only slight deviation and the bat stops prematurely which means now the speed of the bat is transferred onto the ball. These two ADD up now and thus the ball now has a speed of X and Y minus some lost in deviation and heat. (Which is why the ball races to the boundary faster behind the wicket)

Now case two, when you hit the ball straight back you need the speed to be higher than the ball and 150kph balls reach the batsman at 120kph on normal pitches. And once I saw Brendon Mcullum generate 148kph of batsped(courtest: Inaugural T20 world cup).
Gayle and Dhoni are only faster and more powerful.

It is beyond our comprehension. Sadly we studied physics based on Earth. Doesnt seem like Dr. Pomers did so.

----------

Ok time for a physics lesson for you then.

The ball already had a speed X on it while meeting the bat. The bat has a speed Y with the swing. They meet and the ball continues to move in the same direction with only slight deviation and the bat stops prematurely which means now the speed of the bat is transferred onto the ball. These two ADD up now and thus the ball now has a speed of X and Y minus some lost in deviation and heat. (Which is why the ball races to the boundary faster behind the wicket)

Now case two, when you hit the ball straight back you need the speed to be higher than the ball and 150kph balls reach the batsman at 120kph on normal pitches. And once I saw Brendon Mcullum generate 148kph of batsped(courtest: Inaugural T20 world cup).Gayle and Dhoni are only faster and more powerful.

So youre saying that if I throw a ball at a wall, the ball will only come back if the wall is moving faster than the ball????

(In an attempt to move on)

Ross, what is the fastest (statistically) a bowler can bowl a ball, I saw one at 166 km/h but what is the fastest you have seen or know is possible?

Gotta love hitting the ball with still bat. Its not like you swing the bat which adds more forces into the equation...

I vote Snowy for mod... just throwing it out there, he deserves a shot at Dutch's toaster. Either that or get Ross moderating posts ;)

Whatever it was, there is nothing unusual about it, you can have a batsman hit the ball faster off a quick bowler and we have a spinner here.

I'm aware of the concept of physics, it just looked a bit odd. That is also possibly the product of a camera phone filming at a poor angle, so I won't read much into it.

I am happy to have ugly cricket in there though. In other games they batsman either looked like Mark Waugh or Chris Martin, without much in between. You could tell how scripted the whole thing was. BA is taking a risk of having adaptive animations and full physics, and that's bloody hard to do. Sometimes it'll lead to something that looks a bit funny, but you see that in real cricket so I'm not worried.

There are also so many little aspects that will take years to get right. I watched a trailer for FIFA 14 next gen, and it was advertised that attacking players will duck their heads to avoid a shot on goal by their teammate. It seems to me like that's an incredibly basic thing, and something that kids in under 10s would do out of instinct, but it's taken ~20 years to get it in a video game. Cricket will no doubt have a similar evolution over time.

The number of times I've sat at the footy and seen something that made me think "if we had that happen in a game people would laugh at us"... balls that go at right angles because of spin, balls that just stop dead, etc. etc.

This is a video game, an artistic interpretation of the sport, physics are approximate.

The number of times I've sat at the footy and seen something that made me think "if we had that happen in a game people would laugh at us"... balls that go at right angles because of spin, balls that just stop dead, etc. etc.

This is a video game, an artistic interpretation of the sport, physics are approximate.

I dare say that in all science the physics are approximate to some degree :thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread