Don Bradman Cricket 14 - World Premiere Discussion

Talking about the cameras, if there is one thing which I was wishing was a bit more like the real thing was the behind the stumps catching.

In the following video at 0:53 there is a nice looking slip catch but it would have been so so good if there was no camera cut to a catching camera after the edge, it would have been perfect!

If this is to allow for manual fielding with an hint of slowing down of speed as well then I am ready to sacrifice the same for lesser camera cuts for more authentic gameplay anyday!

I hope this can be considered for the next iteration :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will give u a C+ for this.
you didnt even consider fhe weight of the bat compared to the ball. Even for hitting straight back you don't need the bat to swing at a higher speed than the ball. The Bat's weight conpared to the ball comes into play. Time to rewrite it. I am willing to extend the deadline for submission for another 24 hours. Get onto it quickly

Haha well Poor Pomers couldn't have handled too much information at once, hence I tried to leave it with just that. But I should have added.
REPORT-cont.
Acc. to Newton's second law, Force=Mass*Acceleration. Acceleration is provided by the speed(or velocity as its a vector/doesn't change direction) and time taken to reach the ball. Mass is the weight of the bat.
Also I wanted explain about the spring effect from the willow, as someone mentioned, as a reply to Dr.Pomers' query "Doesn't the ball bounce off the wall?".

Anyway Dr. Pomers, elasticity and tendency to absorb vibration can differ with materials. We don't bat with a wall. Try bouncing a leather ball against a willow, cement wall, your face and whatever you like and measure the distance travelled on rebound. They were all stationary but why did the ball have different distances? Materials matter.

On summary:
Factors that affect the speed of the ball:-
  1. Speed of the ball.
  2. Mass of the ball.
  3. Material of the ball and bat.
  4. Speed of the bat.
  5. Mass of the bat.
  6. Lateral Resistance on pitch(amount of grass/moisture) and air.
  7. Vertical resistance due to gravity.
  8. A brain to understand all this.

Couldn't someone just do the math on how fast the ball was travelling based on the two known factors - the length of a cricket pitch and the distance to the fielding ring?

Yes, the aim is as said, to make it a watchable camera. So when you're not batting and just watching the game go by you can have it on broadcast and it'll look great.

It's also a nice addition for us to use in the demo mode that loads up when you don't touch the game, so it makes it look pretty. :pI'm not quite sure what you're asking in terms of what the camera does. But the Broadcast Camera was designed and built by watching hours and hours of actual TV footage and then applying it to the game, so if it's done in normal TV broadcast then you can assume it is happening in our Broadcast Camera.It's our opinion, for local multiplayer, that it will be best to use the 'Far (Bowling)' camera. We have that as the default option with options to invert the batting controls if needed to suit the camera positioning as well.

The 'Far (Bowling)' camera will provide you with the down the pitch view that you want from Broadcast, but won't have that camera pan that is giving you motion sickness. :p

As said, the Broadcast camera is mainly for you to watch the game with, not really to play it from. Any other camera is designed for gameplay purposes, the Broadcast is mainly for hands off purposes.

Are we going to not play with the broadcast camera ??? If i am batting can i play with broadcast camera ?? Just confused anyone who can clarify. Kind regards.

If a bowler runs in 30 yards at 18 mph and delivers the ball at 83mph to a batsman 22 yards away, at what point do I get bored of all this physics chat?

I will be dissapointed if broadcast view camera does not have any charm in the game because this is how it happens in real cricket. BigAnt studios needs to to make broadcast camera as integral like other camera views.

You can but you shouldn't.

But why ? Could please give few logical reasons ?? i am expecting a lot from broadcast camera in DBC 14 while batting because the other camera views don't have any comparison with real cricket camera views.

Broadcast camera is an option that is as well executed as other features are in the game. It is your own choice how you want to play.

I will be dissapointed if broadcast view camera does not have any charm in the game because this is how it happens in real cricket. BigAnt studios needs to to make broadcast camera as integral like other camera views.

Yes that is why as you said "this is how it happens in real cricket."
That you watch and this you play...Its not real cricket its virtual game but a realistic cricket game....So that behind the batsman camera angle makes you to decide on what shots to play effectively as you feel like you are at the middle of the crease which is the effect Ross and team are trying to make us feel it that way....So whatever the camera angles are available in the game it is highly recommended to play behind the camera angle for batting....:cheers

But why ? Could please give few logical reasons ?? i am expecting a lot from broadcast camera in DBC 14 while batting because the other camera views don't have any comparison with real cricket camera views.

-Because this isn't like other cricket games.
-It will probably be much harder to judge the line and length of the ball from the broadcast view.
-There isn't any pitch markers because this isn't like other cricket games.
-As a batsman you are facing the bowler, so a view from behind the batsman makes sense.
-Did you know this game is nothing like other cricket games?

Yes that is why as you said "this is how it happens in real cricket."
That you watch and this you play...Its not real cricket its virtual game but a realistic cricket game....So that behind the batsman camera angle makes you to decide on what shots to play effectively as you feel like you are at the middle of the crease which is the effect Ross and team are trying to make us feel it that way....So whatever the camera angles are available in the game it is highly recommended to play behind the camera angle for batting....:cheers

Thanks for an extensive answer but i would stiil go for broadcast view camera

Users who are viewing this thread