Don Bradman Cricket 14 - World Premiere Discussion

As far as I recall, I played Cricket 07 with the Batsman Cam. The Batsman becomes less opaque and the camera is right behind him. So what is the problem with these guys asking for Broadcast cam.

simply because the behind the view angle isn't the same as that in C07. It's quite different than that if you look in the videos(the default camera angle).
Also, the fact that new controls suit that angle better as it has been made for that camera angle. Also, the fact that people without playing the game cant comment which angle is better and ignore the views of the people who have played the game in playsessions as well as the developers themselves.

Just remember, forget the previous games and start fresh

This may not help but I don't understand how anyone plays FIFA or PES from the broadcast cam. You can't see defenders in front of you and you basically spend your time looking at the radar.
With the end on view you can see gaps, space etc.
For cricket I want to see what the player I'm controlling sees. Batting down the screen back towards yourself really makes no sense and ever since I've been able to use a batsman first player cam I've always used it.

So what camera do you use for Fifa then? 95% would use broadcast or similar. Youtube it.

And Big Ant's own game AFL live 1? Again, see above.

I've always used broadcast - that's why the radar exists. And why every game since Warne 99' has had a radar of the field in the corner.

Batting down screen does make sense - people want to see a game that replicates real life. More people watch cricket as opposed to playing it. So they will want to see, and will be drawn to a game that replicates what they see on tv. Hence the call for a functional broadcast cam. If you don't have it in there, then too bad for Big Ant, the replay value will suffer.

Feel sorry for all the poor people with their head on the block for daring to suggest a need for a functional broadcast cam. Grab the lube, you're gonna need it when an offended Uncle Ross comes around.

I used to use the broadcast cam and then I found it was much easier to use the end on one. Ditto with AC09 and IC10.
This has nothing to do with Ross or DB14 but thanks for making the connection...

I used to use the broadcast cam and then I found it was much easier to use the end on one. Ditto with AC09 and IC10.
What's the default camera in FIFA? I have a feeling that the majority of people, far from a preference for 'broadcast' would just use what they are given.

The examples of Baseball games are enough to provide a counterpoint. You just get a more natural batting experience from the camera view behind the batsman.

As has been repeated frequently, the option is there, but it's not too much to ask that people give something a go before deciding that they liked it the old way in older games - just play the older games if you're not open to things being different. Playing two player batting from the bowling camera wasn't nearly as nice as it was playing single player behind the batsman.

A fielding radar is one point I think where hud is valid that the game doesn't include (to my knowledge). I think except for late movements of fielders, the game showing you the batsman's knowledge of the field is a good way of giving back the peripheral vision you lose from any camera.

An implementation I've always envisioned is that you would have larger dots on a radar for fielders who are outside your normal range of vision combined with your judgement statistics. So if you've got a good player and fielders are in placements that you can see them all, you'd have an accurate field radar; if you don't, the dots would become larger to indicate the batsman's uncertainty.

What's the default camera in FIFA? I have a feeling that the majority of people, far from a preference for 'broadcast' would just use what they are given.

I do that....:D

I have never seen a fielding radar either on the T.V or on the field. The best Cricket game till date, Cricket 97 did not have a fielding radar, it is all about knowing in your mind where the fielders are and approximately where I want my shot to go.

There is going to be no batting cone in DBC 14 which makes the need for a fielding radar unnecessary even if you wanted to look beyond the idea of minimal hud.

So what camera do you use for Fifa then? 95% would use broadcast or similar. Youtube it.

And Big Ant's own game AFL live 1? Again, see above.

I've always used broadcast - that's why the radar exists. And why every game since Warne 99' has had a radar of the field in the corner.

Batting down screen does make sense - people want to see a game that replicates real life. More people watch cricket as opposed to playing it. So they will want to see, and will be drawn to a game that replicates what they see on tv. Hence the call for a functional broadcast cam. If you don't have it in there, then too bad for Big Ant, the replay value will suffer.

Feel sorry for all the poor people with their head on the block for daring to suggest a need for a functional broadcast cam. Grab the lube, you're gonna need it when an offended Uncle Ross comes around.
I'm actually glad you brought AFL Live up. Because you'd actually know if you followed that game, that Ross specifically mentioned his disdain for what would be considered a 'Broadcast' or 'TV' like camera in preference to what was actually used in the end for the game. A 'Broadcast' camera for AFL Live would mean many cuts, many zooms, a lot of camera movements that would affect the gameplay experience. The camera in AFL Live was specifically catered to be the best for gameplay purposes.

It's strange though, that you mention how people "will be drawn to a game that replicates what they see on tv". Because, as I said previously, that is EXACTLY what Broadcast camera does. It replicates the broadcast experience, which is why it's called a Broadcast camera. But suddenly that isn't what people want too? I personally think people will be drawn to the game by camera angles that are catered for the gameplay...

We're saying that it's mainly a watchable camera, because we have 4 camera options that are specifically catered to getting the best gameplay experience out of them. They were designed FOR the gameplay, Broadcast was designed specifically to replicate the Broadcast experience, which it does.

Last edited:
Hey Ross, we don't have a chance to play the AFL live in our country still:noway
That's is why I plead so much for a release in Sri lanka:thumbs

I believe the original AFL Live is available on PSN and XBLA as a digital download.

The people who go straight to broadcast camera may as well stick with old games. You're missing the whole point that this is a new approach to cricket game mechanics which is built around non broadcast cameras. MLB works perfectly without it

The examples of Baseball games are enough to provide a counterpoint. You just get a more natural batting experience from the camera view behind the batsman.

As has been repeated frequently, the option is there, but it's not too much to ask that people give something a go before deciding that they liked it the old way in older games - just play the older games if you're not open to things being different. Playing two player batting from the bowling camera wasn't nearly as nice as it was playing single player behind the batsman.

A fielding radar is one point I think where hud is valid that the game doesn't include (to my knowledge). I think except for late movements of fielders, the game showing you the batsman's knowledge of the field is a good way of giving back the peripheral vision you lose from any camera.

An implementation I've always envisioned is that you would have larger dots on a radar for fielders who are outside your normal range of vision combined with your judgement statistics. So if you've got a good player and fielders are in placements that you can see them all, you'd have an accurate field radar; if you don't, the dots would become larger to indicate the batsman's uncertainty.

Some people like their video games to look and feel how they do on tv.

Then they can just play on the broadcast camera...bloody hell. Going round in circles here.

It's in the game, it just isn't the best camera for the gameplay mechanics. Playing on the broadcast camera appears as thought it will be an inferior experience relative to the other cameras available.

And that's fine, we cater for that, it's all a SuperStormInATeacup

Personally I have never changed the default camera on a sports game in my life because I believe that the default camera is the default camera for a reason, that reason being the creators, people who know a lot more about gaming than me, believe it is the best camera position possible. However having said that I intend to use the 'Pro Cam' for my career mode.

Users who are viewing this thread