Don Bradman Cricket 14 - World Premiere Discussion

I attended the play session today. It was fantastic to see the game in motion. Very smooth gameplay and graphics. The only issue I would raise is when playing a drive off a spinner and you miss, you really need to quickly hit that circle button to get back into the crease. This seems to happen most of the time. Personally I would like to see this tweaked as the amount of stumpings that happened today was enormous! That's the only negative piece of feedback I have, otherwise I love it and can not wait for its release. Thanks Ross and the team for allowing us to be part of the session this afternoon!:)

I don't what it feels to play the game yet. But this is one of the problems in EA cricket 2007(my most favorite cricket game till DBC 14 came): When you play spinner and keeper is standing near stumps, and try an advance shot leaving the crease, and if you miss you the ball, the keeper doesn't stump you immediately, this happened both while batting and bowling. So looking at this review, I say it is a good feature added by Bigant, batsmen will think before leaving a crease. But will be still waiting for more reviews and experience it when I get the game.

The animations generally look lovely, but the batsmen seem to freeze after their shot in a very robotic way. It doesn't look too bad for a classic cover drive but even for the scoop shot; when they did a replay and rewinded you could see that the batsman froze in that unorthodox position.

Is this a case of the human player not pressing a button to run or return to the crease?

Cant say any of the videos today impressed me that much, certainley not the classic cricket game i hoped it would be.:noway

I forgot to mention that the leaving the ball part in the video ...But I don't know whether we can control the leg as well while leaving the ball?? :)

----------

Is this a case of the human player not pressing a button to run or return to the crease?

As far as I have seen the video I think the response is quick unless its pressed .. Will surely take time to get used to the controls so easily... And mastering at the hardest level would surely take some skill....:)

Not very impressed considering the expectations from the game. Some things seem too un realistic . On the flip side, i'd rather play the game and comment than by watching a video.

Like Fifa and PES, the game probably looks less impressive on lower difficulties. Any chance of higher difficulty videos, guys?

Looks ok, hope it plays ok and it's better than the AC2013 silence, I'll buy it whatever as if it gets the support and input from the community here who are an important part of cricket gaming it'll get better and better with patching and future cricket games will also benefit... thumbs up from me if a cautious thumbs :yes

Steve S.

My last post for the night, been a long day.
My opinion is good overall but I will not judge to much till I have seen more of the final version in the next couple of days. I feel this is going to be a good cricket game and like Ross said the best so far, if it's near what we want well we will all find out next month.:spy

Matt,

One question for you... did you get enough time to select your shots while playing the game or did you have to pre-mediate the shots? Looking at the videos it looks like you get enough time to choose your shot when spinners are bowling but when pacers come on you may have to decide the shot you want to play before hand.

There was an interesting comment from Ross a few days ago about realism versus game. The gist of it was that the reason it can't feel exactly like cricket is that if bowlers came in at 90mph we wouldn't hit the ball.

The only test for me is how it feels when you play it. Is it an immersive simulation and does it feel like cricket most of the time?

Thanks very much for all those who produced the videos, they were very nice. However there were some glaring errors in the gameplay in a few cases. One where a batsman was given out caught at slip, but the bars showed the ball going right through the centre of the bat, also in that replay, it looked to me like the ball was speeding along the ground.

A couple of time I saw some very casual running by the AI, not sliding their bat in when it was going to be a close thing, and in fact saw one incident of that which resulted in the AI player being run out.

As other people have mentioned, batsmen seem to freeze in position before running after striking the ball.

It also appears that when you see a replay, it doesn't look like the bat has made contact with the ball sometimes.

I'm sure that most of these things will be fixed for the launch. I will buy the game, whatever, as I see it as the best cricket game so far, but it needs sharpening up. Once again thanks for the videos. :cheers

There was an interesting comment from Ross a few days ago about realism versus game. The gist of it was that the reason it can't feel exactly like cricket is that if bowlers came in at 90mph we wouldn't hit the ball.

The only test for me is how it feels when you play it. Is it an immersive simulation and does it feel like cricket most of the time?

Just take a look at MLB the show to see how ball physics and ball speed can be represented in a game.

Sadly there are very few programmers with that level of skill around unfortunately.

Just take a look at MLB the show to see how ball physics and ball speed can be represented in a game.

Sadly there are very few programmers with that level of skill around unfortunately.

It's not about "programmers" but budget. Give Big Ant the budget which MLB The Show gets and I'm sure they will blow MLB out of the water.

----------

That's to be expected. In fact no sports video game can replace the actual sport for realism be it Madden, MLB, NBA, FIFA etc. If we can get a close enough simulation we would be more than happy.

Between did Matt provide any insight into how easy or difficult it was to select a shot while facing the pacers? If we get enough time to react and select a shot according to the delivery I would say DBC14 has nailed most aspects of the gameplay.

Well I for one am not going to let anyone s pessimism sway me at all. Love what I see.

All those with half full glasses: cheers!

Okay, it's overview time!

It's hard to get a judge of the game overall in the time I had with it, chopping and changing modes and really just trying to get a hang of the controls. I'll review the game proper once I've had it for a few weeks, so these are first impressions - the game could still suffer from a catastrophic lack of replay value like IC2010 did after a good first impression.

Matt can you elaborate on this point please? why do you feel the game could suffer for lack of replay value?

Users who are viewing this thread