Don Bradman Cricket 14 - World Premiere Discussion

i just want to know will they fix these bugs in Retail version ?or we need to download patch???

Thanks Matt for the videos. Loved them all. Very happy to read that controls feel right and the initiative taken by Big Ant (no keyboard) seems to be going in the right direction.

It's getting hard to wait now. Love the idea of spending time on getting used to the new and perhaps the best way of playing cricket.

Just take a look at MLB the show to see how ball physics and ball speed can be represented in a game.

Sadly there are very few programmers with that level of skill around unfortunately.

The biggest hurdle is with animating the batsman: when it comes to shot selection in baseball you (essentially) have only two types, and generally it's coming in a dinner-tray sized window. You don't need to worry about stuff outside that window and also don't need to take into consideration that the batsman can change his body shape/position and direction to get the ball in a 360 degree circle from a high or low position.

Given that you want your action which actually selects/starts your shot to come as late as possible in the delivery, it takes an incredibly complex animation system to allow you even get the bat anywhere near the ball... OR you cheat it and need the button press earlier, but that feels really sluggish.

If the ball just misses or passes through the bat slightly 1 instance in 1000, and the game felt really good... Personally I'll take the gameplay over fractional bugs like that: I am currently frustrated with PES: every animation is pretty much perfect, but it makes the game feel like that dream when you're trying to run through thick porridge. :(

i think this game looks realistic..but the main problem is the players are not stylish enough..their body language doesn't appeal me much...cricketers look the most stylish athlete in the world when they play..otherwise the graphics was superb..there are some bugs at the pro cam view..the top view of the stadium was great.. i think this game needs to be furnished :thumbs

Must say Im generally very impressed with what I saw, thanks again Matt. Seems way more polished than any other cricket games we've seen and Im amped to play it soon!

My main gripe is the same one I had with IC2010 and most games before it - The shot selection (or animation) linked to the fullness of the deliveries still seem off. I dont know how you found it to be, Matt, but from what I saw it appears that it's still too easy to play a coverdrive (for instance) from deliveries just short of a length and still time them well enough to go to the boundary.

And all the batting animations seemed eerily similar to IC2010...I just really dont want this game to go on auto-pilot like the previous ones, where you can pretty much use the backfoot on-drive for any ball of any line and length - that was one of the most frustrating things with both IC2010 and AC09 and why I could barely play them for more than a month.

The bowling looks intuitive though and the replays are rad! Very impressed with that and the way they managed to capture the atmosphere....

Re the shots Matt was playing difficulty level will hopefully make a difference in terms of playing the right shot to the right ball.

The biggest hurdle is with animating the batsman: when it comes to shot selection in baseball you (essentially) have only two types, and generally it's coming in a dinner-tray sized window. You don't need to worry about stuff outside that window and also don't need to take into consideration that the batsman can change his body shape/position and direction to get the ball in a 360 degree circle from a high or low position.

Given that you want your action which actually selects/starts your shot to come as late as possible in the delivery, it takes an incredibly complex animation system to allow you even get the bat anywhere near the ball... OR you cheat it and need the button press earlier, but that feels really sluggish.

If the ball just misses or passes through the bat slightly 1 instance in 1000, and the game felt really good... Personally I'll take the gameplay over fractional bugs like that: I am currently frustrated with PES: every animation is pretty much perfect, but it makes the game feel like that dream when you're trying to run through thick porridge. :(

The quality of animation is really the issue.

In Mlb the show you really have to try to notice the difference between reality and the game.

There are actually loads of different animations which vary depending on your timing and input,..that is a crucial difference between that game and cricket games, Cricket games have a very small set of animations in comparison.

As for PES i won the international cup on highest difficulty first time with no saves used. There are some significant ai bugs unfortunately.

So you need a combination of good animations plus good ai to make a very good sports game.

Have to say watching vids again, it seems the players seem to run 22yds very quickly, maybe it was my perception from watching on a ipod4 but in saying that it was relative to the speed if the fielders returning the ball, have to agree about gameplay v realism, there's no way we could react quick enough at full speed, two fifths of a second irl. Hope this doesn't come across as negative, I'm more than happy with what I've seen and will be buying DB ASAP!

It's not about "programmers" but budget. Give Big Ant the budget which MLB The Show gets and I'm sure they will blow MLB out of the water.

----------

That's to be expected. In fact no sports video game can replace the actual sport for realism be it Madden, MLB, NBA, FIFA etc. If we can get a close enough simulation we would be more than happy.

Between did Matt provide any insight into how easy or difficult it was to select a shot while facing the pacers? If we get enough time to react and select a shot according to the delivery I would say DBC14 has nailed most aspects of the gameplay.

Budget can't make a game.

You need highly skilled 3d animators and programmers.

There aren't many of those in the UK or Australia - they tend to be in USA or Japan. That is why you don't get high quality cricket titles in a nutshell.

There aren't many of those in the UK or Australia - they tend to be in USA or Japan. That is why you don't get high quality cricket titles in a nutshell.

You are basically stereotyping people here and questioning the game development capabilities of people you have neither met nor know enough about.:rolleyes

You are basically stereotyping people here and questioning the game development capabilities of people you have neither met nor know enough about.:rolleyes

It has nothing to do with stereotyping.

Simply the facts that the games industry is dominated by the USA and Japan. So that is where the talent is.

I don't have to meet every single game developer in the world to appreciate that :facepalm

How many places you have been to in this globe? How many game developing organization you have worked with? Because, am just amazed with such a accurate stats! :rolleyes

You really have to know the real world before speaking on it.

How many places you have been to in this globe? How many game developing organization you have worked with? Because, am just amazed with such a accurate stats! :rolleyes

You really have to know the real world before speaking on it.

The games industry died in the UK due to lack of talent to compete with the USA and Japan.

Sorry but I don't believe the art of cricket failed through lack of money alone.

Oh please, the hard efforts/skills from Ross and co is well reflected. Lets just not come up with imaginary 'no meaning' stuffs that is true only to our mindset.

Like Matt mentioned few pages before - if you are really not feeling good, this is not the thread and place, you are welcomed in not to buy this. Keep waiting for the non existent US & Japan companies to produce cricket games only for you. :thumbs

The games industry died in the UK due to lack of talent to compete with the USA and Japan.

Sorry but I don't believe the art of cricket failed through lack of money alone.

you have completely overlooked Chief's point - and he should know, after all - that animating baseball shots and cricket shots are not the same, that cricket will have more variables. anybody with even a passing knowledge of the sports will know that to be true: as Chief pointed out, the window that a baseball pitch will arrive in a much smaller window than a cricket delivery, and the shot will go in smaller areas.

unless you can engage properly with what people are actually saying, instead of dreaming up bogus, incorrect statements (the uk gaming industry is not dead, for one) how on earth can you expect to be taken seriously?

Users who are viewing this thread