Don Bradman Cricket 14 - World Premiere Discussion

Out of curiosity, none asked where is HBK? It would have been an obvious question I reckon if outsider of the forums had visited after seeing FB updates, expecting HBK from WWE. :p

They could have appealed...it was a clear edge after all. Oh well...not too concerned about it. Having known ross and his team, i know they will do the best they can with all the restrictions of budgets and so.

I am liking the videos even more after repeated watching. Its really fluent when everything goes well without the bugs. Looks fantastic. Imagine what this game will look and play like in 2 years.

Frankly I wouldn't mind the ai not appealing occasionally for a catch when I'm playing ;).

More importantly this is not a problem when playing against a human opponent....as there is manual appeal...and then there is BARS too

Pretty sure Red was short, green good and orange full.

Don't remember seeing any legbyes, byes although I saw a few hit the pads and go off towards the short leg fielder. I guess if he wasn't there then you'd run!

Lastly, yes you could tell the difference between the two versions.

Was happy with the BigAnt bag giveaway as well....I was lucky - mine had 2 HDMI leads left in it by a BA staff member! Only wish it was one with Mike's USB stick in it! (That was where he reloaded the game from when they realised it was an old build on there!)

Want to elaborate more about the bolder part? What difference was obvious?

Appreciate all this information bro. I still don't get how you can just stand there without punching matt playing in front of you and take the controller away from him.

Frankly I wouldn't mind the ai not appealing occasionally for a catch when I'm playing ;).

More importantly this is not a problem when playing against a human opponent....as there is manual appeal...and then there is BARS too

Well of course AI sometimes should not appeal. But i would think those would be feather edges and not the obvious ones. But what i took away from that part is the edge...which looked really good. The catch...not so much. Hated the one handed catch in all cricket games.

Oh playing with another player will be a blast. Preferably a 2 vs 2 game if possible.

----------

Size does matter bro :spy

No it does NOT.

i refuse to believe that!!

Did you hear??

I will not believe it!!

Never!

Not all catches are one handed, some will be. There is a gameplay balance vs animation issue.

How difficult is it to play good defensive shots in the game? Is it as challenging as the other shots in the game or is it as easy as all previous titles where a defensive shot almost guaranteed you not getting out. It was a pain to play multiplayer test matches as all the opponent had to do was press a button and the batsman would play a perfect defensive shot all the time. Personally I do think that it should be a challenge to play a perfect defensive shot as well, so that it's a fair game between bat and ball. Even in real life cricket, a huge amount of dismissals (specially in test cricket) take place when a defensive shot is offered.
I wish I'd gotten footage of us all playing in the nets on the hardest difficulty. It was hard doing anything.

In normal gameplay on the lower difficulties no, it wasn't particularly challenging to play defensively - but it wasn't a perfect shot all the time - I edged a few that mostly went to ground, helped by the fact that I was playing against someone spin bowling for the first time.

I do have to say I'm annoyed that so much time here had to be spent on explaining away bugs that are already fixed - I recorded so much from the older build simply because it came in last on a third TV set and meant I wasn't hogging the screen to go through things like the career mode that aren't really set up for it - the others were mostly on two player to try out the controls.

The majority of the things I knew weren't issues on the other consoles because if they were we would have noticed them. I'd assume and hope that if there's anything they saw bug wise out of the retail builds on the other consoles that they are checking it on the zero day patch version to try and make sure it's fixed.

Time and time again Big Ant have shown they patch and improve their games post-release. They have a track record.

If you want to give in to the generic, everything is awful, "the game isn't perfect therefore it's like all the other" cynicism, annoy a few people on the internet who will take the bite if you like, you're the one missing out.

Want to elaborate more about the bolder part? What difference was obvious?

Appreciate all this information bro. I still don't get how you can just stand there without punching matt playing in front of you and take the controller away from him.

Hahaha!!! Dunno how well that would have went down!

Yeah the was an obvious difference between the 2... On the older build the ball would hit the ground and deviate waaaayy too much from the fielder, which gave away a few extra runs / overthrows. It just looked less polished if you get what I mean (hard to describe!)

DBC 14 is looking unbelievable Ross! I don't know if people need to criticise for the sake of it or or are simply trolling because seriously this isn't just the best yet but very close to being perfect and nothing ever is perfect and no I am not getting too excited.

There's a difference between poor graphics and "style" - the look we have is by design, to try and take into account that we will not be making all of the characters and models - some will like the style, some won't.

I love the graphics and design, it is very pretty and it feels like Cricket! :)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and of course there is going to be some criticism toward the game (even I have a few gripes from the videos I've seen), it's just natural, happens with everything in video games and life in general. I think though the BigAnt team; Ross, HBK etc etc are really committed to this, trawling through forums, threads and what have you. How many other companies actually do this and are in constant contact with the fans and general community? Pointing out pro's and con's is going to make this game better, and the amount of effort the BigAnt team are continually putting in is outstanding and they should be applauded. Let's hope this translates to a very good game, get behind them people!

One question for you... did you get enough time to select your shots while playing the game or did you have to pre-mediate the shots? Looking at the videos it looks like you get enough time to choose your shot when spinners are bowling but when pacers come on you may have to decide the shot you want to play before hand.
I basically decided the stance and whether to hit the aggressive shot trigger in advance, and usually had an idea of where I wanted to hit based on the gaps, but then could adjust based on the ball bowled to hit elsewhere - or even take my finger off the trigger if I need to play the ball less aggressively.

Because the stick itself plays the shot, it feels far more natural than trying to do similar with the IC2010 style of pointing in the segment of the field you like and then pressing a button to play the shot, and therefore is easier to adjust late to the actual ball being bowled.

I hate to say it - but if EA kept evolving the Century Stick from Cricket 07 on PS2, it would have ended up similar to what you've got here. So for those of you who think it's a positive, this is like if EA kept making cricket games.

^^^^
Yup, I was reminded of EA Cricket 07's "century stick" control when I read about DBc 14's control scheme. Looks like you need to choose your "spot" in the field before you face the ball and then adjust. I hope the controls feel intuitive over time and the pre-mediation comes down the more you get used to the controls.

Between great job with the updates yesterday :thumbs

If anyone wants a video game without mistakes then its better not to play. Go play real cricket

Users who are viewing this thread