Don Bradman Cricket 14 - World Premiere Discussion

If anyone wants a video game without mistakes then its better not to play. Go play real cricket

I don't think it's about "mistakes"... it's about finding and hopefully fixing any game-breaking bugs, if they exist. So far things look pretty good and I don't think there's anything game-breaking. But the real test will come when we get the game in our hands and see how the AI plays. No amount of play-testing can tell you that and that's the "make or break" part of any game - AI.

Just been watching some of Matt's 20min video, have to say that feather edge looked and felt really neat. By felt I mean I was sitting here trying to figure out if he did nick it or not!

Good job there :clap

I don't think it's about "mistakes"... it's about finding and hopefully fixing any game-breaking bugs, if they exist. So far things look pretty good and I don't think there's anything game-breaking. But the real test will come when we get the game in our hands and see how the AI plays. No amount of play-testing can tell you that and that's the "make or break" part of any game - AI.

We will do our best but true AI that does not cheat can always be "gamed" if you search for exploits, always.

Player v Player, that's where sports games are at in the long term.

About the other footage we were expecting today.

Dean Milhe ?@twistie3 8m
Video taking ages to render due to all the cropping and stuff. Should be out in around an hour. So upset its delayed :(

Also another tweet telling us the length of the video:

Dean Milhe
@twistie3
@isrararrafi There was 20 Mins of gameplay recorded and I've narrowed it down to around 8 Minutes. Hopefully thats enough

Can anyone explain why the ashes 2013 forums are filled with kitchen supplies?
Just go here

Damn.... it was 24 plus hours between posts on the PC Ashes forum and I was sure this was going to be the one.

Damn.... it was 24 plus hours between posts on Ashes forum and I was sure this was going to be the one.

I wanted to see how long there would be between posts. Over 24 hours is a pretty good effort though!

@ cricket_online Did I talk about game-breakers? As I said a game cannot be 100% bug free.

Ross is right. There will be exploits just as in real life. We must remember that a machine cannot think for itself. What is programmed will remain. Thats were the game developer's skill matters but it cannot be perfect. The AI looks great so far. The real challenge lies in exploiting something which can think for itself

----------

Damn.... it was 24 plus hours between posts on the PC Ashes forum and I was sure this was going to be the one.

The one never comes

----------

BigAntStudios said:
The ONLY Cricket game worth buying this year!

Just erase worth buying from your siggy

Last edited:
We will do our best but true AI that does not cheat can always be "gamed" if you search for exploits, always.

Player v Player, that's where sports games are at in the long term.

Couldn't agree more. AI can only go so far in challenging a human opponent but for longevity online is the way to go for the simple reason no AI can come close a human opponent. That's why I loved AC09 - not for its AI but for online gameplay. But at least DBC14 offline will not feel old in a couple of weeks time thanks to career mode and steep learning curve to beat AI on veteran difficulty level :yes

And congratulations on a successful play-session yesterday and I hope you follow it up with an even more successful launch and plenty of sequels to boot :cheers

----------

@ cricket_online Did I talk about game-breakers? As I said a game cannot be 100% bug free.

Ross is right. There will be exploits just as in real life. We must remember that a machine cannot think for itself. What is programmed will remain. Thats were the game developer's skill matters but it cannot be perfect. The AI looks great so far. The real challenge lies in exploiting something which can think for itself

I disagree with that statement. There's no way you can pass judgement on AI after a couple of hrs of play testing. Whether AI is great or not can only be known when we get the game and spend hours on it.

[/COLOR]I disagree with that statement. There's no way you can pass judgement on AI after a couple of hrs of play testing. Whether AI is great or not can only be known when we get the game and spend hours on it.

Didn't I say so far? You never know. In the videos has the AI done something stupid? I don't think so.

While watching the career mode video for second time, observed that - for Matt's player profile, one of the screen showed
Aus ODI - no chance
Aus Test - no chance
Some domestic tournaments - no chance
English County - long way off
Indian league t20 - no chance

Does this mean, our career players will be given chance for playing English county & IPL kind of tournament as well?

In other words, what does 'No Chance' and 'Long Way Off' signify?

While watching the career mode video for second time, observed that - for Matt's player profile, one of the screen showed

Does this mean, our career players will be given chance for playing English county & IPL kind of tournament as well?

Yep, you got it. Your player an be offered contracts for those tournaments

That my player is no where near good enough to make it in those leagues, instead I put the time in at the Australian domestic level, earning my way up through those things that you saw popping up saying +2 points for the shot. The more of those points you get the more your player is considered for selection - and because you get them for all kinds of actions in the game, you get a benefit from all of what you do.

I imagine if you choose to actually play in the field those extra skill points from things like catches would help you make it. Indeed you'd probably have to if you wanted to make your way as a career wicketkeeper.

Your skills slowly also go up as you go, with your player starting with high skills in the area of speciality you chose. I don't know what the relationship is between those points popping up and the amount of skill increase.

Users who are viewing this thread