Don Bradman Cricket 14 - World Premiere Discussion

I played on the hardest difficulty in the nets, I could barely hit it. Mikey from Big Ant who has been playing it for months could hit about half the balls.

Matt, did you find you were edging the ball while playing on the harder mode? Based on your view of the game, would it not be unreasonable to assume that edges would be less likely on easy mode due to the assistance the game gives a batsman, whereas on the harder mode, user input would cause the bat to go where the player indicates, giving rise to more chance of edges?

I played on the hardest difficulty in the nets, I could barely hit it. Mikey from Big Ant who has been playing it for months could hit about half the balls.

No.

So complain about it once the game is out to the company that has a history of releasing multiple patches for their sports games.

So what are your biggest worries gameplay wise?

Does the gameplay look fluid to you?

Did you edge the ball at all?

Last edited:
well this forum has been interesting reading I must say. Personally I was impressed with the videos minus the bugs (but we don't even know which bugs will actually be in the finished game yet so can't really be to picky.) In my humble opinion we have some people who have played the game on here and we should probably listen to what they have to say as around 95% haven't played it yet. Also it was not the final build so no one can really judge till ALL of us have a controller in our hand, the copy of the final game and the ability to give our own opinion

Did you edge the ball at all?

Handy that I was doing some research about something else by looking through all of Matts posts..

I wish I'd gotten footage of us all playing in the nets on the hardest difficulty. It was hard doing anything.

In normal gameplay on the lower difficulties no, it wasn't particularly challenging to play defensively - but it wasn't a perfect shot all the time - I edged a few that mostly went to ground, helped by the fact that I was playing against someone spin bowling for the first time.

well this forum has been interesting reading I must say. Personally I was impressed with the videos minus the bugs (but we don't even know which bugs will actually be in the finished game yet so can't really be to picky.) In my humble opinion we have some people who have played the game on here and we should probably listen to what they have to say as around 95% haven't played it yet. Also it was not the final build so no one can really judge till ALL of us have a controller in our hand, the copy of the final game and the ability to give our own opinion

Ah the sweet, fresh fragrance of sanity. Thank you.

As to Matt's statement on IC2010 I think the point he was making was that whilst the game he played was good especially compared to other games, he hasnt played it enough to guarentee himself that it might still suffer like IC2010 did in terms of re-playability. I dont think Matt was basing that on anything than the fact that he hasnt played it enough to be sure .......

Is that the jist Matt??

This is an amazing video. Minor innovative stuffs that are not there in previous games - bowler diving, bowler canceling the runner up in half way, reaction of a silly point fielder during the cover drive etc, are just fantastic!

Also LOL, just saw the 'Lagan' equipments making into the academy. Haha, guess this was Ross's request? :D excellent, raising the bars again & again. Just can't wait to get this on my hand.

Ok thanks I read your overview before.

I was interested in the edges issue and the repetition of shot issue (which has troubled previous games).

I think we need more gameplay footage.

You didn't play on highest difficulty in a game right?

The lack of footage of realistic edges is quite disturbing.

----------

As to Matt's statement on IC2010 I think the point he was making was that whilst the game he played was good especially compared to other games, he hasnt played it enough to guarentee himself that it might still suffer like IC2010 did in terms of re-playability. I dont think Matt was basing that on anything than the fact that he hasnt played it enough to be sure .......

Is that the jist Matt??

Surely that is because you can just smash the ball around using 1 shot again and again? Even on higher difficulty.

After watching all the gameplay videos there's one thing which struck me and maybe Matt, Ross or anyone else who was at the play-session can provide more info... I hardly saw any shots behind the wicket. Shots like glance, tuck off the legs to fine leg, flick off the pads to deep fine/square leg, glide to third man are staple shots in cricket and generally 30-40% of the runs come from behind the wkts area. Yet we hardly saw these shots in the play-session videos. Was it because it's tough to score behind the wkts in the game?

Is that teh jist Matt??
Correct. I'm just responding to the fact that on reflection I was very wrong about IC2010 from my initial preview of it.

I am still impressed by the leap forward that the action cam was for batting - the default batting cam in DB14 seems the evolution of that if you'd have made the game from the ground up with that kind of angle on gameplay in mind.

Everything could still be a catastrophe, but I'd rather be somewhat positive, what I saw was deserving of no less than an open mind into playing it.

I did not.

Ok thanks I read your overview before.

I was interested in the edges issue and the repetition of shot issue (which has troubled previous games).

I think we need more gameplay footage.

The lack of footage of realistic edges is quite disturbing.

Come on Martyn how do you suppose the so called lack of edges to be disturbing? I do wish you could rephrase your sweeping statements sometimes.

Perhaps more in the line of: is the fact there is so little footage of edges something to be concerned about or is there a practical reason behind that perhaps? Would make conversing with you so much easier, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread