Don Bradman Cricket 14 - World Premiere Discussion

One thing I'm not sure about with the controls is the line. Unless I'm missing something very obvious, you may not necessarily want the ball to always be hitting top of off stump for a good length ball, for example. You may want to put the ball way outside off for a plan.
How is this achieved?

This is what I was getting it, from Angads description I would say that you would push the stick diagonally right if bowling at a right handed batman. The further right you push the further outside off you would bowl. Too much and you would bowl a wide. I actually really like this idea as it will really take some time to learn and master. Does this mean though that with less skilled bowlers there is a smaller margin of error??

Me being bored of being off strike I'd say. You've always got control over whether you call for a run as the non-striker and the AI doesn't run against your choice.

Oh oki...I got little excited thinking the ai called you for a run (since it was the last ball of the over and you being a tailender :p) and you rejected it :lol

----------

This really concerns me as I know I have a problem with my angle of stick work. When playing Fight Night on the PS3, I'm always punching with the wrong arm due to my forawrd push being slightly to the side.. I just know this is gonna make me bowl like Mitch (which is why I'll probably just stick to spin bowling).

This is exactly how there will be variability in gameplay. You just wont be able to bowl all balls in the exact same spot.

Me being bored of being off strike I'd say. You've always got control over whether you call for a run as the non-striker and the AI doesn't run against your choice.

I thought somewhere Ross had said that the AI would reject runs if he thought he couldn't make it?

----

regarding the bowling controls, they sound seriously good. actually challenging and fun.

I thought somewhere Ross had said that the AI would reject runs if he thought he couldn't make it?

Yes you are right....AI would reject runs only those which are suicidal but close ones are not rejected....:yes

----------

What is the function of "select angle of delivery" LAS in the before bowl-Pace ??:)

----------

We have seen the scoop shot..But can we place the shot over the wicketkeeper??

Yes you are right....AI would reject runs only those which are suicidal but close ones are not rejected....:yes

----------

What is the function of "select angle of delivery" LAS in the before bowl-Pace ??:)

----------

We have seen the scoop shot..But can we place the shot over the wicketkeeper??

WOuld have thought it related to the angle you approach the crease from i.e. coming in wide of the crease as opposed to coming in close to the stumps

I used to hate the behind the camera angle view in the previous games as the only thing we would be doing is look for the pitch point and the reason I hated is that the batsman would obstruct the view of the pitch point...But in this game it just feels right from the start as the only thing we do as a batsman is look at the ball all the times...This has really changed the mindset of all the cricket fans and new cricket gaming fans [Which will happen after this game releases]...:yes:thumbs

So excited about this game.. the excitement is really building for this game and rightly so! Now creating the team i play for on a saturday, Can't wait to get going on this. :) Great work Ross and the team! :cheers This game is the next level of Cricket game! Just wondering i know you probably can't say atm but will there be special editions of the game as i want to back this game & Big Ant so much!

Different shots feels like being played by different players...One left handed batsman's Defensive shot felt like Phil Hughes' shot....And the hook shot from the extra footage 1 video at 3:39 feels like Shaun Marsh's shot....Standing still till the end and fast hands for four.....Superb..:clap

My Review of the game:

So all in all I played the game probaly for a good 30-45 minutes. I didnt get to do 2 things that i really wanted to do due to time shortage on my behalf, the wife was wondering where i was and i didnt have the heart to totally explain what i was doing, but alas, lets move on

Bowling: I found it really hard to generate speed, and also to direct the line of the ball, after thinking about it more i now realise it was due to the players and difficulty level. Bowling will be harder to master than batting, the best bit about it is you wont be able to put it on a dime everytime especially when just starting in career mode, this is a good thing, you need to play more to get better. I assume if i was using mitchell johnson for australia whilst bowling i would of been able to generate speed and swing with a better line, yet im pretty sure i was using big ant players so hence i was spraying the ball everywhere.

Spin bowling will be alot of fun to master, since playing the game i have decided to change my career mode player to a batting allrounder who bowls leg spin, this will be alot of fun!!

Batting: Well where to begin!! Once again i didnt get a chance to bat in career mode which is what i really wanted to do, but playing the games i did and batting on rookie mode which im pretty sure it was it still took awhile to get the hang of it, then i got the hang of it and bang, Sixes galore with Biggs!! In no way will this game be easy to master trust me!! I remember trying to pre mediatate my shots before the ball was bowled and i was all over the shop!! Once i stopped and waited to see where the ball was pitching and what line it was taking things got a lot easier. The timing, and placement will take hours and hours to master which is exactly what i wanted

Batting in pro mode cam can only be real difficult which is perfect, even after playing for a while i know im going to be spending hours in the nets.

Menus/General: I do remember Mike saying at one point " We spent all this time on developing replays and no one watches them! They just skip them" Mike, thats the way it is, having a replay after every ball will be pointless, having an option to replay every ball yep, no problems, but i wont watch every replay, only when i do something good maybe, but even then we will just skip it and move on, sorry mike!

Navigating through the menus, from what i seen, was real easy, not a problem at all, there were options and menus galore, trust me, every wish will be your desire in this game!!

Conclusion: Really, I cant wait, i noticed a few little bugs and crashes, but from what I can tell it was all hardware, nothing to do with the DBC software, Seriously this game right now is absolute gold, with a day 1 patch it will be fantastic, and no doubt it will continue to improve

I got some videaos off my iphone but tried to upload to planet cricket and it wouldnt let me, if anyone wants to let me know the best way to do it please feel free to let me know.

All your excitement about this game is justified guys, trust me, its going to be a great summer when this gets released, lets just hope its soon, because after playing the game i cant see why we dont already have it!!

Also a massive thanks to Ross and Mike, it was fantastic putting a face to the names, and they were real accomodating, if i had more time no doubt i wouldve had a go at career mode but i had to get home to go out to dinner.

so yeah, any questions please feel free to ask away

Great read. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. For any doubters out there this kind of read has to generate the necessary enthusiasm and trust.

Last edited by a moderator:
The AI won't start to run without input, it could be possible that they might shout you down if they have no chance, but I didn't see that happen while I was playing.

--

Would suggest everyone give the default cameras a good go before deciding that you like broadcast cameras better.

How to slide the bat while running between wickets in the game??

PS: There is triangle for dive but slide nothing is mentioned...:)

The AI won't start to run without input, it could be possible that they might shout you down if they have no chance, but I didn't see that happen while I was playing.

--

Would suggest everyone give the default cameras a good go before deciding that you like broadcast cameras better.

I would suggest that that is the only sensible thing to do. Having a look at the videos again and am so impressed by the lighting. Floodlight flashing of the blade of the bat as it swings through the air. Superb. Absolutely superb.

I suggest people watch this video - MLB: The Show 13

For years, baseball games have been designed so that players use the camera behind the batter. It is simply not possible to bat from a 'broadcast' camera. And it doesn't impact on the immersion at all. Gameplay is more important than a broadcast camera, and The Show is an example of this.

I suggest people watch this video - MLB: The Show 13

For years, baseball games have been designed so that players use the camera behind the batter. It is simply not possible to bat from a 'broadcast' camera. And it doesn't impact on the immersion at all. Gameplay is more important than a broadcast camera, and The Show is an example of this.

The thing that really impresses me with that game is the commentary. They are really reacting to what is happening out there. Love the names of the players being called as they come into play. Talking about the weather and that the ball would have carried further if it wasn't October but July! Brilliant stuff.

Though the unanswered question is how the ball would have carried in early September.

Users who are viewing this thread