Don Bradman Cricket Academy V 1.00 Beta is available (Updated 28/03)

This is incredible. I love that how far you push the triggers determines how aggressive or defensive the shot is. I love the edges. I love everything!

My footwork is fairly terrible though :p

Now this game makes sense. I was having issues on the lower levels because of the assisted movement and stuff so I felt there was a lot of miscommunication between me and The Don - putting it on Legend with full manual control and it's perfect. The difference is massive and it's so damn good. :D

I love that how far you push the triggers determines how aggressive or defensive the shot is.

Haha, I'm using a PS2 controller so I don't think I have that luxury - I'm kind of an all or nothing kind of player though so it probably suits me! XD

This is incredible. I love that how far you push the triggers determines how aggressive or defensive the shot is. I love the edges. I love everything!

My footwork is fairly terrible though :p

Ahh, is this officially the case? Triggers are really touch sensitive.. It's like a real Century Stick! (TM)

Oh you mean the trigger buttons or the direction stick?

after playing in the nets for an hour or so i have some questions but heres a main one
do we have a button to play ground shots ???

any ideal shot i play goes in the air and if i play the shot late it becomes a ground shot... is this it ?? if yes ,then something has to be done about it ..

on the higher difficulty levels like pro , veteran and legend the balls which are bowled at a higher pace outside off is almost impossible to play or even touch it

at the highest pace on the higher difficulties even the straighter ones are too tough to play ...

i felt medium pace was the right pace to play the ball.. ( now i know what ross was telling earlier when some one was complaining about the lack of pace in one of the video)

not tried too much playing the spin , but i felt the spinners should be played a bit late and the pace bowlers need to be played a bit early and the medium pacers need to played at the right moment .

after struggling to play the pace balls on higher difficulty level , i tried blocking the ball playing defensively ,i wasn't very successful in that too

overall the game is very tough to master and we may not see every ball being hit to the boundary and also to add the controls would need a lot of tweaking and improvement for the future iterations ..
.. :cheers

Just tried this.

Either this is god awful... or my controller is messed up or I do not understand the controllers (and yes I read them)

No matter what, the batsman tries to play the ball towards the legside. And the same damn shot everytime.

But I can push back on the left stick and go to a backfoot shot, but he still tries to play to the legside?!

Your calibration is probably wayyy off.

Have to say the bat on ball sounds are all great - worth playing with headphones I'd say.

after playing in the nets for an hour or so i have some questions but heres a main one
do we have a button to play ground shots ???

any ideal shot i play goes in the air and if i play the shot late it becomes a ground shot... is this it ?? if yes ,then something has to be done about it ..

on the higher difficulty levels like pro , veteran and legend the balls which are bowled at a higher pace outside off is almost impossible to play or even touch it

at the highest pace on the higher difficulties even the straighter ones are too tough to play ...

i felt medium pace was the right pace to play the ball.. ( now i know what ross was telling earlier when some one was complaining about the lack of pace in one of the video)

not tried too much playing the spin , but i felt the spinners should be played a bit late and the pace bowlers need to be played a bit early and the medium pacers need to played at the right moment .

after struggling to play the pace balls on higher difficulty level , i tried blocking the ball playing defensively ,i wasn't very successful in that too

overall the game is very tough to master and we may not see every ball being hit to the boundary and also to add the controls would need a lot of tweaking and improvement for the future iterations ..
.. :cheers

I think if you press left and right trigger at the same time as the directional buttons it is an agressive ground stroke.. So many buttons to press..

Is there not a comprehensive batting tutorial available somewhere? Seem to all be stabbing in the dark here

Are the triggers analog? I believe you would need the triggers to be analog for shot power. Trigger buttons are R2 and L2, right below the shoulder buttons.

Good point. In that case I might just get the stuff to connect Xbox 360 controllers to PC. Too easy.

I think if you press left and right trigger at the same time as the directional buttons it is an agressive ground stroke.. So many buttons to press..

i tried playing that , and by doing that too ,if its an ideal shot the ball is played uppish and if its played late it becomes a ground shot
:)

edit : sorry ,went back and tried as you said it worked ... ideal ground shot works :)

Last edited:
Is there not a comprehensive batting tutorial available somewhere? Seem to all be stabbing in the dark here

It was posted here! Big help I found! :)

Sometimes we do forget that the tutorial isn't in this aspect of the game.

So for those that need it, here's some help.

Anything north of the equator of the Left Stick (that is anything on top half) is your Front Foot placement. From the perspective of a right hander, that means that up and right (in a diagonal angle) would be moving your player to the front and right. Up and left (on a diagonal angle), will be front and left.

Same thing goes for back foot, anything south of the equator (bottom half of stick) is your back foot movement. Back and left will move you back and left. I think you'll start to see what I'm getting at now. Basically, the angle and direction of the left stick will move your player in that angle and direction. For pull shots you will need to get on the back foot, otherwise you'll play around the ball, etc.

As for what is being perceived as 'not the shot I played'. On lower difficulties the foot placement is assisted for you. If you want full control, bump it up to Legend (Veteran and Pro have less assistance too), let it be know that you will need to get it very spot on though at that difficulty.

It's recommended to start on Amateur or Rookie and just get used to what the movement and positioning is like.

Also on those difficulties, if you take a look at the ball marker (the circle around the ball) you will see it flash white for a split second. This indicates perfect timing. That will not be there on the higher difficulties though, meaning you need to know your timing to get it in the ideal range.

Hope that helps. :)

----------

Oh and I'll also add a couple of other things I forgot.

The colours around the ball indicate where the ball is pitching.

Yellow = Full
Red = Short
Green = Good

The ball marker will also have a gap depending on which line it's pitching, a gap to the left of the ball means it's pitching right, a gap to the right, means it's pitching left. No gap means it's on middle stump.

As for the triggers, they do indeed work. Although it's not really the best showing of them in the nets as they don't do the damage they might on the real grounds. ;) But yes, L2/LT is an aggressive shot, which means the ball will generally be more lofted. R2/RT is a defensive shot. R2/RT+L2/LT is an aggressive grounded shot meaning the ball will be hit hard along the ground.

L1/LT is your unorthodox shots, like the scoop, sweep, etc. And R1/RT is the advance down the pitch, which is best used against spinners imo.

Just got my first nick behind - delightful! :D

Last edited:
I got back in the nets for my second session and there are two things I have noticed.
1) I finally got a thin edge. It went low but at a catchable height to second slip. Beautiful. Just think back to AC09 and IC10 where edges went looping towards the fielder off a 95mph bowler and you realise how good this is.
2) I tried to play a scoop shot and it hit my pad and ricocheted onto the stumps. There was something oddly satisfying about that.

It has been said before but, even in the net, it feels like cricket.

Glad it's not just me finding satisfaction at getting bowled realistically. Just mistime or misalign a shot and seeing those bails fly puts a smile on my face somehow. Might not be the same when it's first ball in a big test though, haha! The sound might be my favourite bit of the lot though somehow!

*THWACK!*

Guys, sorry for the interruption when you all are talking about how awesome the game is, but I am not able to play any shot at all! :P It might be something wrong with my gamepad, but it still is working at least (I can leave the bowl :D). Can anyone tell me exactly how you are supposed to play a shot?

I am holding the trigger button (for example, the unorthodox shot or the aggressive shot trigger) then I am moving the left stick (like forwards or backwords for foot movement), holding it there and then I move the right stick, when to ball comes close, to where I need to play the shot. What am I doing wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread