Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
Sehwag had two miserable innings in the first test and the pitch in Nagpur didn't support his kind of batting. Never underate anybody especially Panesar - he bowled Kaif and Dravid with two magnificent rippers and who's to say that if the conditions are right he can't do that to the Indian openers.

hondeyho said:
Sehwag had two miserable innings in the first test and the pitch in Nagpur didn't support his kind of batting. Never underate anybody especially Panesar - he bowled Kaif and Dravid with two magnificent rippers and who's to say that if the conditions are right he can't do that to the Indian openers.
...and who's to say that Sehwag wont eat Panesar's heart for breakfast, lunch and dinner? (End of supercilious metaphor.) The only point made is that Sehwag has the penchant to hunt down the spin attack...it is purely an extrapolation based on a trend.

m_vaughan said:
Thats if Sehwag lasts till then.

Absolutely Yes! If you have seen Sehwag's big innings like the 309 and the 254 vs Pakistan, he has had a hell lot of reprieves from the Pakistani fielders. I dont think England are going to be as benevolent. So I am geared up to see a total flop show from Sehwag (unless something dramatic happens and the English fielders are hell bent on seeing what the hell does this guy possess)!

prarara said:
...and who's to say that Sehwag wont eat Panesar's heart for breakfast, lunch and dinner? (End of supercilious metaphor.) The only point made is that Sehwag has the penchant to hunt down the spin attack...it is purely an extrapolation based on a trend.

Yes, he might! But they are also right. See, when it comes with Sehwag, its all so unsure. Sehwag might thwack some one heavily one day and might get out in a cheap fashion to the same person another day. He is that sort of a player. Actually, his success in the longer version of the game (and that too at the opening slot!) has perplexed many.

hondeyho said:

Panesar is a promising bowler for England and he must be at a great confidence peak after getting the big names of Indian cricket like Sachin, Dravid and Mohammed Kaif. But the thing is, when you start using your feet and try to work him out, he reverts to the negative mindset for which Nasseer Hussain was so jokingly poked at in the commentary box for employing it in 2001. If Panesar can maintain the attacking line for some more time, he might be more successful.

I know I certainly should but I don't see Sehwag as much of a threat - his average against England is only 32.50. He may prove me wrong but I still don't see his real threat. He has been bowled for a duck by Hoggard twice in his career so far - that's one to watch.

hondeyho said:
I know I certainly should but I don't see Sehwag as much of a threat - his average against England is only 32.50. He may prove me wrong but I still don't see his real threat. He has been bowled for a duck by Hoggard twice in his career so far - that's one to watch.
I agree but Sehwag is that kind of player who can surprise England with a big
knock in the next match.

ZoraxDoom said:
Montogomery (Monty) Burns's father? :)

lol nah not him.

He was the Great British leader of the 6th Armoured Division (The Desert Rats), who defeated Rommel in the Egyption desert, and started to turn the war back in favour of the allies.

Anyway thats the History lesson over, back to the cricket chat.

Sehwag

sohummisra said:
And if you end up with Sehwag vs. Panesar, that could destroy the young man's confidence.
I am more worried about Sehwag's confidence.

m_vaughan said:
Thats if Sehwag lasts till then.
Sehwag's raising more Questions than his big mouth can answer. :cool:

Last edited:
hondeyho said:
I hope the English bowlers share your attitude.

A guy does not average higher than 50, with multiple overseas centuries, and not be a threat to the opposition. A guy doesn't score 195 in a single day against the Australians in Australia and get dismissed with many overs still to go, without being a threat. Sehwag is like a volcano. He seems to be quiet quite often, but when the explosion comes its going to drown you out of the test match.

Panesar has not even faced a challenge yet. If you think the Indians are going to allow him to get on top of them again in this series, you are much mistaken. All we need is a decent start at the top of the innings--which if you go by this test match, means that we just need to keep Hoggard out of the box (not saying that I agree with that, but if Panesar is dangerous as you make him out to be, Hoggard is going to take all the Indian wickets, right?). If we get a decent start in the top order, who are you going to turn to? The pace bowlers will be tired from the seering heat, and we will most definitely go after the spinners.

Anyways, I expect a much better batting performance from the Indians in the next test match.

sohummisra said:
I hope the English bowlers share your attitude.

A guy does not average higher than 50, with multiple overseas centuries, and not be a threat to the opposition. A guy doesn't score 195 in a single day against the Australians in Australia and get dismissed with many overs still to go, without being a threat. Sehwag is like a volcano. He seems to be quiet quite often, but when the explosion comes its going to drown you out of the test match.

Panesar has not even faced a challenge yet. If you think the Indians are going to allow him to get on top of them again in this series, you are much mistaken. All we need is a decent start at the top of the innings--which if you go by this test match, means that we just need to keep Hoggard out of the box (not saying that I agree with that, but if Panesar is dangerous as you make him out to be, Hoggard is going to take all the Indian wickets, right?). If we get a decent start in the top order, who are you going to turn to? The pace bowlers will be tired from the seering heat, and we will most definitely go after the spinners.

Anyways, I expect a much better batting performance from the Indians in the next test match.

I expect Sachin to come out firing at Mohali. He looked excellent in the second innings at Mohali with that 28* off 19 balls. Just watch out for him at Mohali. England might be facing the brunt of his blade! Sachin scores his centuries on the hardest of tracks. He has scored great hundreds overseas. So even if we get a seaming wicket at Mohali, Sachin is the best equipped along with Dravid to score big!

ya even i expecting sachin to make a big score but lets see what happen at mohali bez we cant forget that england also is in big touch so all eye at mohali...

cricket_lover said:
on what basis did More stated that they won't "pick Ganguly at all! no matter how good he plays".
That clearly tells you the role of politics/prejudice in BCCI and cricket in India.

Its true, he cannot replace any player in the current team, purely based on performance. Laxman played an important knock in Pakistan, but clearly struggled against swing.

The coach has a very significant say in the selection. It always does. Coach and the captain are the most important factors. It was very clear in the past articles, You want Chappel or Ganguly, and BCCI has, so far, went for Chappell.
Indeed, these selectors are a bunch of jokers.

You don't throw away talent and experience just like that. Gilchrist has been struggling, for a while now. Since the Ashes, he has never performed consistently. Same goes with McGrath, his performance in the test series against SA and the VB series are quite dismal (for his talent). Couple of composed innings in Tests and some good knocks in domestic level won't purchase Ganguly a test spot (or even just the consideration), then what will?

If he performs, he has to be back. I don't want, nobody wants a player in their team who doesn't perform well.

If Ganguly does perform, consistently, then More/co. should select him. His so called "arrogant attitude", according to several team mates has changed.

I like Chappell's way of handling this topic. One side, he barks at Ganguly, and at the other side he praises Tendulkar...just to maintain the equilibruim...smart thinking indeed! :cool:

If this is going to be the case in INdia, where even you do your job/work hard and yet fail to reap the reward, it won't be a surprise in the future if teh team fails consistently. We need to shed this prejudice and stinking politics for something better. Make the game fair for everyone.

To India-England series,
If Laxman stays in the 11, i'm sure Dravid will send him 1-down, we have seen this happen many times. It was good to see Tendulkar attacking...thats the way he plays, and I, now..get the feeling that he puts unnecessary burden on himself, especially when the team is down.
Sehwag will be hungry for runs, he will need to spend more time in the crease. I don't thinkt he bowling attack will be different this time...though.
You think Kiran More and team will make such a controversial move just because the 'coach said so'. He has his opinions there. But they are hardly binding. The selectors have their own opinions guided by their own reasons.

what reasons? Ganguly had a fight with him sometime in the past? Ganguly has been Dalmiya's favourite? Pawar said so?
Or is it just "Ganguly's performance is nothing to brag about"

He has played two "test matches", scored 45+ in two innings and 35+ in two innings. Agreed. Not the score you expect of him, you want bigger one's. But it is not the legitimate reason.
If Chappell says past performances do not matter selection, then why do the keep saying that Ganguly has been in bad form? He hasn't and he showed that. He needs big scores.

Enough said about him. It is a situation we need to be ashamed of, an unfair treatment on players purely based on prejudice and personal reasons.

Hey, I'm NOT saying that Chapell was not responsible for Ganguly's omission. I'm saying that he was not the only reason and neither was he the major reason. A lot of powerful people wanted him out. Its just that the blame has now fallen on Greg. Ganguly would have made his exit even if there was no spat.Why????????????

Because what goes around comes around. Ganguly used his closeness with Dalmiya to his advantage a lot of times. Ganguly being Dalmiya's favourite is nothing bad. But the fact is that Ganguly continuosly used that position to his disadvantage. Meanwhile he forgot such an act would not be loved by others concerned. Now when the administration has changed he is not welcome, as he is considered as a part of the previous administration. Only Ganguly is to blame for that. Even Greg says Ganguly was the one who got him the job as coach. Ganguly was supremely powerful then. Once you use politics to your advantage, you can be assured that some day it will be used to his disadvantage too.

Look at Tendulkar. He isnt bothered by any administration. That is only because he never bothers to play politics. He is there to play cricket, plays to his best and then goes home. On the other hand Ganguly was power hungry.

Neither captain nor coach has a vote in the selection process. They can express their views. Its always upto the selectors whether to listen to them or not. Historically, selector never listen to captain and coach blindly. Their decisions are more influenced by politics than the opinion od the coach which they could easily ignore as they have done hundreds of times before.

Anyways, Ganguly was never a good enough TEST cricketer. His record speaks of that. He was a great ODI player though. I find it hard to believe that Ganguly at this age is gonna regain his best form. And even with his best TEST form i doubt whether he will find a place in this team. Playing Yuvraj , Kaif , and Raina is more in the interest of the team

hondeyho said:

Just dont look at the average. One good day, and Sehwag will take that average into the 60's. If he gets going he is hard to stop. He not only scores at a damn fast rate, he wont throw away his wicket also.And he is capable of scoring even well over 200 in a single day himself

varunvgiri said:
Just dont look at the average. One good day, and Sehwag will take that average into the 60's. If he gets going he is hard to stop. He not only scores at a damn fast rate, he wont throw away his wicket also.And he is capable of scoring even well over 200 in a single day himself
Exactly. Another interesting statistic: Sehwag has 11 centuries and 10 half-centuries. One of the top conversion rates in the game, I think. Especially seeing the attacking form of cricket that he plays. He manages to get a strike rate of 75+, an average of 50+ and a conversion rate of 50%+, yet he is not a threat to this supremely powerful England team.

Users who are viewing this thread