Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
89.8 MPH precisely. Nearly got Colly (or Bell?), just flicked legstump after being dug out.

Adarsh said:
His fastest ball, a yorker which nearly got Bell, was 145 kph (90mph). Pretty quick. On average however, he is usually 87/88 mph.

That is quite quick on a slow pitch( As i hear ).

India have to start well tomorrow. Cant allow the pressure to release. India should go all out and try to pick atleast three wickets in the first session when the ball is likely to swing. Lets hope that Munaf gets a few wickets and gets going..

I think I should make this clear to everyone. The pitch makes no difference to the bowler's speed. The speedometer marks the speed as it is delivered from the hand, BEFORE it pitches, so it will have no effect on the reading. The batsman, however, will be affected. On a fast pitch, a 140 kph ball might come on to him at 120 kph. On a slow pitch, it may come on to him at 105 kph.

Flintoff had a baby boy last night.Congrats Freddie.It's a healthy baby as per Flintoff's interview at the toss.Hope the baby boy opens up new horizons in his life.It has already brought with it the stint of Captaincy for him though.

ZoraxDoom said:
Pitch has no effect on speed. It is recorded upon leaving the hand.

The speed at which the ball leaves the hand doesn't really matter...what matters is what was the speed when it comes near the batsmen. The pitch is a big big factor for that.
You beat Newzolt on talking about Freddie's baby?

hehe. yep, frustrating time for Flintoff though.

Unless the spinners turn it on, the game will end in a big draw. The forecast...ahhh! :mad:

The speed at which the ball leaves the hand doesn't really matter...what matters is what was the speed when it comes near the batsmen. The pitch is a big big factor for that.
It was a yorker. It didn't bounce. So it is just the speed off the hand.

Adarsh said:
I think I should make this clear to everyone. The pitch makes no difference to the bowler's speed. The speedometer marks the speed as it is delivered from the hand, BEFORE it pitches, so it will have no effect on the reading. The batsman, however, will be affected. On a fast pitch, a 140 kph ball might come on to him at 120 kph. On a slow pitch, it may come on to him at 105 kph.

A laser speed gun measures the round-trip time for light to reach an object and reflect back. Light from a laser speed gun moves a lot faster than sound -- about 984,000,000 feet per second (300,000,000 meters), or roughly 1 foot (30 cm) per nanosecond. A laser speed gun shoots a very short burst of infrared laser light and then waits for it to reflect off the object. The gun counts the number of nanoseconds it takes for the round trip, and by dividing by 2 it can calculate the distance to the object. If the gun takes 1,000 samples per second, it can compare the change in distance between samples and calculate the speed of the object. By taking several hundred samples over the course of a third of a second or so, the accuracy can be very high

A laser speed gun is used to determine the speed of a cricket ball. A laser speed gun if you read what is said above never measures the speed at a point of time(split second) which is impossible in physics.( uncetainty principle). It is always average speed over a time period. The time mentioned above(1/3 sec ) is for a car. For a cricket ball it will be slightly more. That is average time for the ball leaving the hand of a fast bowler to reach the batsman. So the speed shown is actually the average speed.

Dont believe all that the commentators are saying as they are no scientists. The truth is that, the speed measurement is started when the ball leaves the bowlers hand and not at that particular point.

The other type of speed gun is radar speed gun which is more inaccurate and requires more time..

It actually records the speed of the average, as you said. But the speed they display on tv was the speed before pitching, not full trip. The pitch takes off 20-30 Km.
Besides, it was a yorker. It didn't bounce. So he released it at 89.8 MPH.

ZoraxDoom said:
It actually records the speed of the average, as you said. But the speed they display on tv was the speed before pitching, not full trip. The pitch takes off 20-30 Km.
Besides, it was a yorker. It didn't bounce. So he released it at 89.8 MPH.

I believe its the full length of the pitch.As the speed gun cennot be set up for measurig the speed over a variable distance. So it will most probably be the lenght of the pitch.(not 100 % sure ). Anyways I was talking about his general average speedand not that particular ball.

Again he did not release it at 89.8 mph. It is again the average speed. The speed at the hand for every bowler is much quicker than that. The speed starts dropping as soon as you release. The air offers a great deal of resistance. Only that when it strikes the pitch, the drop is greater than that in air.

Last edited:
varunvgiri said:
I believe its the full length of the pitch.As the speed gun cennot be set up for measurig the speed over a variable distance. So it will most probably be the lenght of the pitch.(not 100 % sure ). Anyways I was talking about his general average speedand not that particular ball.
It is till it pitches. They showed it once on TV, Sky Sporst. Agarkar bowling. Left the hand at 135 (Speed displayed on TV), and reached the batter at 106. Slowing down slightly on its way to the pitch, and greatly upon hitting. So, its either upon leaving the hand or until it pitches. Not after and the whole avaerage, cause the human arm in baseball struggles to touch 100 MPH, hence meaning Akhtar's speen wouldn't be 95+ MPH but about 75-80 MPH.

Let's get back on topic. What did you make of Chawla. I wasn't greatly impressed. I thought he'd be a big turner of the ball, but his turn is only slightly better than Kumble. I know that the amount of spin isn't the most important factor, but it is useful to have a legspinner in your team who can really turn the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread