Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
iceman_waugh said:
That's what we are looking for.
If Karthick scores a century in the Mahi-ve fashion,it's good for us.
We want someone to be a reserve and prove himself when given a chance.
Look at Australia,whenever Mcgill is given a chance he makes the most of it.

Nothing against Karthik here, but imo Stuey McGill is one of the best spinners in the world today, and will easily make it into the starting lineups of all the other test playing nations. So comparing him with Karthik is no comparision at all.

Would England want to rest Pietersen, Strauss and give India more chances of getting one more win under the belt, or would they look to garner one more win and salvage more pride and try to get back more on the right track for the World Cup?

I dont think Sunday's game will make any difference to England's WC preparations. With this series lost, it would only make sense if they rested their main players ahead of the summer's test and ODI series against SL and Pakistan.

m_vaughan said:
Nothing against Karthik here, but imo Stuey McGill is one of the best spinners in the world today, and will easily make it into the starting lineups of all the other test playing nations. So comparing him with Karthik is no comparision at all.

No,not comparing Kaartick with McGill.
Anyways,does India have a reserve keepr to bank on ?

m_vaughan said:
I dont think Sunday's game will make any difference to England's WC preparations. With this series lost, it would only make sense if they rested their main players ahead of the summer's test and ODI series against SL and Pakistan.

England need to put a team together.
They do have an excellent one in the tests,but their one-day form of late has been a bit of worry.
Also,I do not agree when ppl say that Freddie must replace Vaughan as one-day skipp.
It's not all over for Mickeal Vaughan,is it ?

m_vaughan said:

Why do you think a win at Indore (the final game) wont put them in a better frame of mind for the home series against SL and Pakistan. IMO, SL has improved after the pounding they got in India. And Pakistan is a resurgent side that is formidable and have just beaten England (albeit in home subcontinental conditions).

saisrini80 said:
Why do you think a win at Indore (the final game) wont put them in a better frame of mind for the home series against SL and Pakistan.

Because by the time they play Sri Lanka the side will have 5 players back who are playing no part in the current series ;)

Also this England side has shown that they can put aside previous series and focus hard on the cricket to come (Pakistan following the Ashes the only exception in the last 3 years)

You do not make it as an international cricketer if you can not focus on the upcoming series whilst forgetting about previous failings. Unlike a lot of fans, they live in the now, not the past ;)

m_vaughan said:

well, he isn't talking about Murali Karthik, but D Karthik as a wicket keeper. I don't know how you compared Karthik and McGill.... :rolleyes:

England's importance to Tests have hurt them considerably, and it will continue to do so unless they have a balanced line-up. Its all scattered for them, the talent. Therefore, every single match from now is very important. If Ashes is the most important thing for England, then better quit ODI's.

m_vaughan said:
Nothing against Karthik here, but imo Stuey McGill is one of the best spinners in the world today, and will easily make it into the starting lineups of all the other test playing nations.
I think you should stay away from such blanketing statements.

The comparison between Kaarthick and MacGill is that Kaarthick will be bred as a reserve wicket-keeper, just as MacGill is being kept around as a reserve-spinner. We don't know Kaarthick's talent or potential, but players have made bigger comebacks from failure, before.

cricket_lover said:
If Ashes is the most important thing for England, then better quit ODI's.
No, you forgot the World Cup. The World Cup and the Ashes are the most important things--and everything around it is just...practice. :p

sohummisra said:
I think you should stay away from such blanketing statements.

The comparison between Kaarthick and MacGill is that Kaarthick will be bred as a reserve wicket-keeper, just as MacGill is being kept around as a reserve-spinner. We don't know Kaarthick's talent or potential, but players have made bigger comebacks from failure, before.

No, you forgot the World Cup. The World Cup and the Ashes are the most important things--and everything around it is just...practice. :p

:D yea, they're such a good team that they can win WC without playing other matches...with the same intensity.

Seriously, their performance/attitude has been below-par.

Personally I think their performance and attitude has been more than adequate considering the circumstances. Why try to belittle Indias achievements by putting down their opposition?

Just accept the fact that England ran them close in the first 2 one dayers, despite missing a couple of key players. Struggled even more when their best one day batsman in KP was absent. Then picked up a win when India left out as many players as England were missing. If they were lacking in attitude why did 3 of their players end up on Iv drips in the dressing room afterwards?

End of the day, India are a good one day side, especially at home. England at best are an average one day side that has never quite found it's replacement death bowler for Goughie or a middle order batsman who holds the innings together to compliment Collingwood and fit in around KP and Flintoff.

However, England have shown some good signs in this series, as they did against Australia in the Triangular Series in the summer.

They have a few more series to work out the final cogs of their One day side before the World Cup, and if the pitches in the Windies have some good bounce, carry, and a bit of pace, then both their batsman and bowlers will be well equipped to surprise a few people.

In the meantime, they are a very good test team, and for me that is a more than healthy position to be in. India on the other hand are currently a reasonbly average test side, and a very good one day side... you do not however see England fans critisising India for it, instead we focus on our own sides achievements and failings.

Wasnt it Zorax who gave us an unofficial news that Dinesh Kaarthick (hope I am right with the spelling Zorax!) will be in for the 7th ODI. Now its true.
nope, not me. Although you spelt it right.

Yay! Kaarthik in! Woohoo! He is a highely talented batter, and a damn good keeper - possibly the best in India!

Just wondering if he is the best keeper in India, should he be playing in the test side? Dhoni is clearly a very useful Odi player, but I have my doubts regarding him in test cricket. Perhaps he will perform better away from home where the crowd isn't willing him to hit every ball to the boundary. Because with the bat in test cricket, he seems a little hit and miss to go with some reasonbly shoddy glovework.

I'm a bit old fashioned in that I believe your best gloveman should keep in test cricket... unfortunately Fletcher disagrees with me so we are doomed to have Geraint Jones keeping until the day he costs us a big game... I'm guessing it will be the final Ashes test dropping someone like Ponting, Hussey or Gilchrist on 5 with an absolute sitter of a catch before they go onto hit the winning runs at the same time they complete their 200. Actually his glovework off the quicks seems to have improved, but off the spinners he still looks mostly clueless.

Adarsh said:
Is he a better keeper than Dhoni? Maybe. Is he a greater asset to the team? No.
Why not? Like I said, a very talented -and underrated- batsmen, along with being a great keeper!

puddleduck said:
Personally I think their performance and attitude has been more than adequate considering the circumstances. Why try to belittle Indias achievements by putting down their opposition?

Just accept the fact that England ran them close in the first 2 one dayers, despite missing a couple of key players. Struggled even more when their best one day batsman in KP was absent. Then picked up a win when India left out as many players as England were missing. If they were lacking in attitude why did 3 of their players end up on Iv drips in the dressing room afterwards?

End of the day, India are a good one day side, especially at home. England at best are an average one day side that has never quite found it's replacement death bowler for Goughie or a middle order batsman who holds the innings together to compliment Collingwood and fit in around KP and Flintoff.

However, England have shown some good signs in this series, as they did against Australia in the Triangular Series in the summer.

They have a few more series to work out the final cogs of their One day side before the World Cup, and if the pitches in the Windies have some good bounce, carry, and a bit of pace, then both their batsman and bowlers will be well equipped to surprise a few people.

In the meantime, they are a very good test team, and for me that is a more than healthy position to be in. India on the other hand are currently a reasonbly average test side, and a very good one day side... you do not however see England fans critisising India for it, instead we focus on our own sides achievements and failings.

I agree with that...may be i was very critical on England, but yes, they're an excellent test team, mainly due to their hunt in pack style bowlers. Its always healthy to have that, unlike India where you tend to rely on Kumble or Pathan (just one or two, rather than all).

For the last ODI, i hope Dravid/Pathan play and Flintoff as well, the last match should be evenly balanced...giving fans from both sides something...

I wonder why they are playing 7 games, this is the most boring series ever. Even dhoni is rested for next game so nomore fireworks. Who is going to open for us without Sehwag and Dhoni:crying

Users who are viewing this thread