• Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
FreddieFan said:
Thats a very legitimate tactic from India. If Sehwag gets off to a flyer, decreases England's chances of winning in two ways: it makes an India win possible, and is likely to stop England attacking so much, making a draw more likely too.

Unfortunately, its a tactic India won't have to think of to use, because Sehwag does that anyway! ;)

I think India can show signs of positiveness by sending Dhoni up the order. It gives various signals

1. If Dhoni plays his natural game and succeeds, it gives another chance of a slim sight of victory

2. It tells the Englishmen that the Indians are prepared to fight it out

3. It also gives the Englishmen the fear of still having the big guns like Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman in the dressing room. And if Dhoni can succeed, the fear strengthens even more and that will have an impact in their thinking!

So ideally, Jaffer should open with Sehwag with Dhoni following in at No.3, followed by Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Kaif, Pathan and the lower order with Sreesanth as our lone tail!

sohummisra said:
Ah, I spent about 30 minutes reading about 8 pages of posts here. What a match this has turned out to be--surprised everyone, I think. I do have a few points to make, though.

1. It's fun reading the cockiness of the English fans. They have every right, of course, seeing that they are firmly in control of this game and look like having success in India for the first time in a long time.

2. Indian fans should not be too expectant of a miracle. We should be happy if we get it, but we shouldn't be expecting it. I think we need an amazing performance to win this match. Given our batting line-up, we should not have too much trouble hanging on for the draw. But winning--we were so optimistic about Karachi and what happened there?

Although I favor the draw as the probable outcome, I have a feeling that England will sneak the win, here. Getting Sehwag at the top will be the key, especially since that is like a sucker punch to the momentum of the Indian batting. If Sehwag does get going (unlikely event in the second innings), we may be able to scare the English team.

I too think draw is the most possible outcome of this match and a consolation for the Indian team! But a victory is not impossible and 0% ruled out! We have seen miracles in cricket world before and why cant we expect one tomorrow?

aussie1st said:
I wouldn't under estimate Laxman. He is known to be able to dig deep. Obviously the opening partnership will be a key because that will eat up time.
Interesting thing will be when England declare as right now they have enough runs but its still tempting enough for India to go after. If England push it any further India could shut up shop and with Dravid and Laxman both able to block wall every ball this one would be heading for a draw.

Dig deep when? Only when his place is under serious threat?

I think England will bat till lunch and then declare. On the other hand I hope England will go out, enjoy some free hitting and after an hour declare, so both teams can have a chance to bowl out the opposition or reach the target.

Do somebody remember the names of Trescothick and Vaughan now after Cook's performance? :)

barmyarmy said:
I'd like to think it's mostly JamesyJames3. Besides you guys have got Dhoni more than evening things up!
Hey--I never like to name names. :)

@Sai: An Indian win is a definite possibility, but they should not try to play in a fashion that causes them to lose the match, because they're going for a win. That said, India have not had a good history of saving matches, so they should bat somewhat positively, and assess the situation after every hour.

sohummisra said:
Hey--I never like to name names. :)

@Sai: An Indian win is a definite possibility, but they should not try to play in a fashion that causes them to lose the match, because they're going for a win. That said, India have not had a good history of saving matches, so they should bat somewhat positively, and assess the situation after every hour.

I wish they just go out and play positive cricket and treat the balls purely on its merit (with Sehwag & Dhoni as an exception though)! Rest should take care of itself automatically!

ZexyZahid said:
I think England will bat till lunch and then declare. On the other hand I hope England will go out, enjoy some free hitting and after an hour declare, so both teams can have a chance to bowl out the opposition or reach the target.

Do somebody remember the names of Trescothick and Vaughan now after Cook's performance? :)

It would be waste of time if England does that! What do they get from that? Are they happy that they have stretched India to its limit with their limited resources available or will they look for a victory here so that they have to win one more out of the two remaining to wrap a sensational series win? I think they should chose the second one! In fact I felt England should have pressed the accelerator in the last hour of Day 4 and should have got much more runs than what they eventually got and should have declared last night itself. Facing 4 to 5 tricky overs by end of day's play is a tough ask for any opposition.

P.s: Seeing how much interest & excitement just this first test has generated, does anyone think this series might surpass the excitement of the previous India-Pakistan thread?

ZexyZahid said:

If England bat for an hour then India will have no incentive to go after the target. If England declare before play starts, then 368 might tempt India, especially the likes of Sehwag and Dhoni. I can't see it happening though, scoring quickly has been difficult throughout the match and whilst it's probably as good a 5th day pitch as you could hope for, it's going to be even harder to score quickly.

Yesterday was the first time either team has got near scoring 300 in a day. That took brilliant application from Cook and India's fielders (and 3rd umpire) giving Pietersen more lives than a cat!

Draw for me, even though I have vCash on England! :D

s2sschan said:
I think Hoggard not Panesar is the key for England although Panesar looks good. It's usually always the touring fast bowlers that have won matches in India.
Can Hoggard be Neil Foster? We will find out today!!!
On a side-note, what's going on with Harmison? He just looks out of it, his face isn't showing any spirit or enthusiasm.

This Indian team doesn't play for draws very well. 3 Slips, 2 Gullies, and Constant bowling in the Corridor of Uncertainty would be my strategy for England.

India haven't done anything wrong. It's just that "The Turntable Tigers" - Kumble and Harbhajan are toothless without a TurnTable. Pray for a Turner in Mohali.

Kumble is no turntable tiger. Actually, he doesnt depend on the spin in the pitch at all. What he needs is some inconsistet/good bounce and a pretty fast pitch. This pitch is simply too slow. Because he doesnt turn much he cannot afford batsmen to have such a long time to adjust.

On Harbhajan.., well unlike most forum members here i dont have much faith in him. Comeon guys, this guy performs once a year. And the rest of the time he sucks bigtime.( Only for tests). Most of the time he looks like he doesnt have the ability to pick wickets.But sometimes he picks them in bundles. But those days are rare. The remaining days.. its just shocking. I agree that in ODIs he's a good bowler. Keeps the runs down.

I hate such slow turners. Its difficult for the batsmen to pick wickets. The wicket is too slow for the spinners with the batsmen having plenty of time to adjust to the turn after pitching.You often find that on these pitches it is the pacers that get more wickets then spinners.Lets have some pitches that turn have some pace and a little bit of inconsistent bounce ( Classic Indian beauty ). Then the spinners will be more deadly and the batsmen who have the ability to play them will score runs. There will be some clssic battles then.

saisrini80 said:
That sounds better for me!

reduce your signaturee riyaz!

I doubt Mohali would turn. I expect Mohali to provide assistance to the fast bowlers on the first few days!

:D Yep buddy!

Kaif is definitely the person right now in form with that innings of 91. And Yuvraj is in red hot form (122 in that final test vs Pakistan) and the great scores in the ODI's which has tremendously boosted his confidence! Laxman has to go!

Kaif maybe the person right now. But I dont think he will be there for long. I believe Raina is the future. Wonder when he is gonna get a cap. And drop Harbhajan and take Munaf for the next test as Mohali has traditionally assisted fast bowlers a bit.

stevie said:
He's hot or cold, not particularly consistant. Apart from the odd spell in the Ashes he was very average.

Which ones have said that? If Ian Botham was one of them, ignore it.

He was not average.. he sucked all the time during the ashes and afterwards. Its better if the selectors drop him for a couple of tests. That'll be a reminder for him to get his act together.

varunvgiri said:
He was not average.. he sucked all the time during the ashes and afterwards. Its better if the selectors drop him for a couple of tests. That'll be a reminder for him to get his act together.

The 5-for at Lord's, the slower ball to Clarke at Edgbaston, getting Kasprowicz to win at Edgbaston, that explosive burst at the Oval where he got Langer (105 at the time) out which cracked it open for England (Australia were 185-0, but were all out for 367). Wouldn't say he sucked all the time! That shows how hot and cold he is.

At some point on this tour, even if it's only a few spells, he will be world class.

Saying Harmy was crap in the Ashes is not looking at the picture at all. If you ask the Aussie batsman, they will tell you first hand that it was Harmison that made them feel threatened. His bouncers on quick pitches are a nightmare, and as Stevie rightly said, smashing batsman on the grill or shoulder can buy a wicket for other bowlers.

Granted if the pitch is the same for the next match, it does make Harmison a little ineffective, as his natural length becomes far too slow to do damage. However when there is genuine bounce, and I believe Mohali might provide that, he is a nightmare to face for any batsman.

Harmison has looked average in this and the Pakistan series, because he does not swing the ball massively, and has spent most of the time trying to find a length that suits him. Give him some pace in the wicket, and he looks a different bowler.

puddleduck said:
Saying Harmy was crap in the Ashes is not looking at the picture at all. If you ask the Aussie batsman, they will tell you first hand that it was Harmison that made them feel threatened. His bouncers on quick pitches are a nightmare, and as Stevie rightly said, smashing batsman on the grill or shoulder can buy a wicket for other bowlers.

Granted if the pitch is the same for the next match, it does make Harmison a little ineffective, as his natural length becomes far too slow to do damage. However when there is genuine bounce, and I believe Mohali might provide that, he is a nightmare to face for any batsman.

Harmison has looked average in this and the Pakistan series, because he does not swing the ball massively, and has spent most of the time trying to find a length that suits him. Give him some pace in the wicket, and he looks a different bowler.

A few good balls doesnt make a great bowler. He wasnt that bad in the ashes but was not good either. The thing is that when he is not taking wickets he is so wayward. Bowling too short and all over the place. He doesnt look like he is going to take a wicket either.I agree that he's got potential. But he needs a kick up the backside to put things right. Thats why he should be dropped for a couple of matches. That will make him work harder...

England have declared on their overnight score. Good to see from the English. India can still win this but it will take some chasing. For England they need to take early wickets.

You guys are 1/1 with Sehwag gone and Dravid in. Its obvious the draw is what they are after. Jaffers has taken 17 balls and he is still on 0.

Gosh the first five overs were maidens, with the only run coming from a legbye. Didn't this happen against Pakistan one year where they went into their shell, neglecting their natural games and ended up losing?

Users who are viewing this thread