Votes: 15 10.6%
  • Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
Nope, no point... if Dhoni falls early - and it's a distinct possibility seeing the way pitch is behaving, Indian middle order would come under tremendous pressure.

I say, let Dravid & company get batting practice and perform better in the other two tests.

India are going on the right track. They should not try to look for the win. All they should focus is to draw the match and play carefully. After Lunch anything can happen early breaktrough or anything. Jaffer is playing sensible so as Rahul Dravid.

vibs89 said:
India are going on the right track. They should not try to look for the win. All they should focus is to draw the match and play carefully. After Lunch anything can happen early breaktrough or anything. Jaffer is playing sensible so as Rahul Dravid.

Agreed... some times discretion is the better part of valor.

Yup and the way they are playing now... there's not much chance of a defeat. I'm turning into a Jaffer fan now. This guy is really good seeing the way he handled the pressure today...

I was never a supporter of Gambhir & Sehwag opening together. The best opening pairs consist of a grafter and a person who can push the score. The approach has always worked with pairs like Greenidge & Haynes, Langer & Hayden, Gavaskar & Srikanth, Strauss & Trescothick, Chopra & Sehwag (when Ind toured Aus in 2003/04).

When Sehwag is not in the squad, get Gambhir in to open, else get a grafter like Jaffer.

Yep. Jaffer has the right temperament, wonder..how he missed the team all these years.
Laxman is under great pressure right now, most probably will have to sit out of the second test.

Draw or an England win is the possibility, game's still open.

If Jaffer and Dravid can see Indian through until half-way after lunch, then we can definitely hope for a draw.

donkey said:
11 overs 11 runs, they have sluaghtered the game I once loved

I bet the poor crowd is even cheering for singles

How many of you think we need to re-assess our decision of opening with a guy like Virender Sehwag who has no footwork whatsoever and does not possess the qualities of a decent opener. He is now a more professional "once in a blue moon" guy who creates a stunning innings in one innings and then gets out for cheap 2, 0, etc! Its a nasty picture to see an opener get out in the fashion that Sehwag did. The ball was not great, it wasnt swing, it was just an in cutter and I am sure a better opener would have sensed it and would have blocked it off.

Jaffer was given his chance when India toured Eng in 2001 and had a pretty bad technique. It seems he has improved quite a lot but the real test for him wud be when India tours abroad. After all even guys like Devang Gandhi managed runs in India :p

alfa_beta said:
I was never a supporter of Gambhir & Sehwag opening together. The best opening pairs consist of a grafter and a person who can push the score. The approach has always worked with pairs like Greenidge & Haynes, Langer & Hayden, Gavaskar & Srikanth, Strauss & Trescothick, Chopra & Sehwag (when Ind toured Aus in 2003/04).

When Sehwag is not in the squad, get Gambhir in to open, else get a grafter like Jaffer.

I think Jaffer has cemented his position for a while with these two performances. The difference between Gambhir and Jaffer is quite simple..

Gambhir seems to dream of becoming another Sehwag. I once watched get a 200 agains NZ(I think) for the BP XI a few years ago. At that time he really did not have this temperament issue. He in his heart wants to be another Sehwag or gets carried away watching him at the other end and tries to play like him. If he calms down and plays sensibly, he really has the talent for this level.

sohummisra said:
Well, the crowd should be cheering for singles, seeing how we've scored only 1. Or maybe 2.

Ganguly's test career ended?
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/239588.html

Chappell has in a way been behind this decision! Its purely based on the comfort level that the coach personally shares with Ganguly and that has effectively ended his career! Sad state of affairs in Indian cricket!

Seeing Chappell's tenure, I would be fuming if he is allowed to remain after his contract that ends with the 2007 World Cup! He is not suited for Indian cricket.

saisrini80 said:
How many of you think we need to re-assess our decision of opening with a guy like Virender Sehwag who has no footwork whatsoever and does not possess the qualities of a decent opener. He is now a more professional "once in a blue moon" guy who creates a stunning innings in one innings and then gets out for cheap 2, 0, etc! Its a nasty picture to see an opener get out in the fashion that Sehwag did. The ball was not great, it wasnt swing, it was just an in cutter and I am sure a better opener would have sensed it and would have blocked it off.

Sehwag's the best India has got... after all he has managed to score all over the world. Dropping him would be a knee-jerk reaction. He's coming off an injury and don't think there's much to worry about him. He has the capability to change the match in a session and India can't afford to drop him. Plus he's been India's standout batsman for the last 3-4 years along with Dravid and deserves the support of fans when he's going through a rough patch.

saisrini80 said:

Sehwag is one of the best openers in international cricket and not a "once in a blue moon guy". he averages nearly 90 in first innings which is amazing and cannot be achieved with a few knocks hear and there. But the problem is.. with his method he requires tru bounce and pace from the pitch. This is almost certainly lacking in a day 5 pitch. He only fails in second innings and almost always successful in first innings.

varunvgiri said:
I think Jaffer has cemented his position for a while with these two performances. The difference between Gambhir and Jaffer is quite simple..

Gambhir seems to dream of becoming another Sehwag. I once watched get a 200 agains NZ(I think) for the BP XI a few years ago. At that time he really did not have this temperament issue. He in his heart wants to be another Sehwag or gets carried away watching him at the other end and tries to play like him. If he calms down and plays sensibly, he really has the talent for this level.

Yup, Gambhir needs to understand that he doesn't have to be another Sehwag and compete with him. I am sure after getting dropped, Gambhir will work on his attitude and come out as a better batsman. I am not counting him out and would have him as a 3rd opener in the squad - if any of the openers are having a bad run, I would get Gambhir in.

aussie1st said:
Nah I got no coverage. Fair enough then.
Its starting to become like a ODI type chase. India really need to get the total below 300 to make it easier once 50 overs comes about.

Well the way Dravid is batting, its a big thing to score 3 runs an over. He is blocking everything thats coming his way! Good as long as he does not lose his wicket

alfa_beta said:
Jaffer was given his chance when India toured Eng in 2001 and had a pretty bad technique. It seems he has improved quite a lot but the real test for him wud be when India tours abroad. After all even guys like Devang Gandhi managed runs in India :p

Jaffer scored runs in England. And with his technique which is very sound, chances of him scoring outside the sub continent is very much high!

Users who are viewing this thread