• Test Series Drawn, India wins ODIs

Votes: 27 19.1%
  • Test Series Drawn, England wins ODIs

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • England win both tests and ODIs

Votes: 14 9.9%

• Total voters
saisrini80 said:
Chappell has in a way been behind this decision! Its purely based on the comfort level that the coach personally shares with Ganguly and that has effectively ended his career! Sad state of affairs in Indian cricket!

Seeing Chappell's tenure, I would be fuming if he is allowed to remain after his contract that ends with the 2007 World Cup! He is not suited for Indian cricket.

There is no way Ganguly desrves a place in this team on merit. But because of the sad state of affairs in Indian cricket he was allowed to hang around for this long. If he was in australia he would have been sacked a long time ago without all this accompanying fuss. I appreciate the fact that Chapell has taken on the system and changed it for good....

Also, Kiran More and team are not puppets in the hads of Chapell. Why the hell should they listen to him blindly? I would be extremely disappointed if Chapell is not offered an extension after the world cup seeing how he has changed team India's ODI fortunes....

alfa_beta said:
Sehwag's the best India has got... after all he has managed to score all over the world. Dropping him would be a knee-jerk reaction. He's coming off an injury and don't think there's much to worry about him. He has the capability to change the match in a session and India can't afford to drop him. Plus he's been India's standout batsman for the last 3-4 years along with Dravid and deserves the support of fans when he's going through a rough patch.

I didnt say drop Sehwag, did I? I was asking the decision to open with Sehwag be re-assessed, thats all!

varunvgiri said:
Sehwag is one of the best openers in international cricket and not a "once in a blue moon guy". he averages nearly 90 in first innings which is amazing and cannot be achieved with a few knocks hear and there. But the problem is.. with his method he requires tru bounce and pace from the pitch. This is almost certainly lacking in a day 5 pitch. He only fails in second innings and almost always successful in first innings.

I am a woman then! :rolleyes:

If he requires the pitch to be of his liking, then he is not a great opener... And just because he has got those successes, he doesnt become one of the best openers in intl. cricket. To be an good opener, you need to have the technique to counter challenging conditions. And anyone can cut off my tongue if I say Sehwag has that technique!

There's no place for Sehwag in the middle order, with Yuvraj fit for the next test. Sehwag is the ideal opener, who can demoralise opposition in a session. Let's go with him and back hime to come out of his bad run in the next match.

saisrini80, Jaffer's lack of technique to counter swinging deliveries was shown up in England by Hoggard. He did manage a 50 but for the most part he struggled. Dropping him was the right decision at the time.

varunvgiri said:
There is no way Ganguly desrves a place in this team on merit. But because of the sad state of affairs in Indian cricket he was allowed to hang around for this long. If he was in australia he would have been sacked a long time ago without all this accompanying fuss. I appreciate the fact that Chapell has taken on the system and changed it for good....

Also, Kiran More and team are not puppets in the hads of Chapell. Why the hell should they listen to him blindly? I would be extremely disappointed if Chapell is not offered an extension after the world cup seeing how he has changed team India's ODI fortunes....

Right now on form and experience combined together, GANGULY DESERVES A PLACE IN THIS INDIAN SIDE! No bl**dy doubt abt that! Its just that the selectors didnt chop him when he was to have chopped off! Now after letting him improve his form and chopping him, only our famous "bunch of jokers" can do that! :cool:

alfa_beta said:
There's no place for Sehwag in the middle order, with Yuvraj fit for the next test. Sehwag is the ideal opener, who can demoralise opposition in a session. Let's go with him and back hime to come out of his bad run in the next match.

saisrini80, Jaffer's lack of technique to counter swinging deliveries was shown up in England by Hoggard. He did manage a 50 but for the most part he struggled. Dropping him was the right decision at the time.

Gambhir can replace Laxman and Yuvraj can replace Kaif. Its tough of Kaif but Yuvraj is in much better form ATM!

I am not going into whether dropping Jaffer after that England tour was right or wrong. I honestly dont care abt that!

Last edited:
Ganguly's time is up and selectors did the right thing by dropping him. It's time to give youth a chance by giving likes of Kaif, Yuvi & Raina a go and see how they perform.

Kaif should get the nod ahead of Gambhir... Gambhir hasn't dome anything so far whereas Kaif has performed against Eng when India needed him and he was the only batsman who performed when aussies beat India in India last time round.

Last edited:
varunvgiri said:

Well I don't agree what you said that Ganguly should be left out. A guy who has 10,000 runs and you want him to be out. In the test he's playing good right now from SL Test to Pak in the test series. I totally don't think that chappel said whatever it is offend and he already got warned. Ganguly who wanted Greg Chappel to be as a coach but what did Chappel did "screwed him."
I still want Gangully to come back in the team and play only till WC 2007.

vibs89 said:
Well I don't agree what you said that Ganguly should be left out. A guy who has 10,000 runs and you want him to be out. In the test he's playing good right now from SL Test to Pak in the test series. I totally don't think that chappel said whatever it is offend and he already got warned. Ganguly who wanted Greg Chappel to be as a coach but what did Chappel did screwed him.
I still want Gangully to come back in the team and play only till WC 2007.

Ganguly cost India the series against Pak when Pak toured India... he scored 40 odd in 5 innings and I still remember his selfish go slow tactics in the match where pak chased 318 - ganguly came in when Yuvi should have been promoted up the order and got 18 off 36 balls where a score of 318 was chased!!!

2nd 50 of the match for Jaffer!!! Well played and hope India improves in the remaining tests.

Great knock by Jaffers, I think India have found their new opener. 289 in 57.4 overs, that looks possible if these two stay in there.

I would reserve my judgement till Jaffer performs outside the sub-continent. The chase is still not on - 300 in 2 sessions on a sluggish 5th day pitch is not a feasible option.

saisrini80 said:
Right now on form and experience combined together, GANGULY DESERVES A PLACE IN THIS INDIAN SIDE! No bl**dy doubt abt that! Its just that the selectors didnt chop him when he was to have chopped off! Now after letting him improve his form and chopping him, only our famous "bunch of jokers" can do that! :cool:

Gambhir can replace Laxman and Yuvraj can replace Kaif. Its tough of Kaif but Yuvraj is in much better form ATM!

I am not going into whether dropping Jaffer after that England tour was right or wrong. I honestly dont care abt that!

You dont care about whether Jaffer getting dropped was a right decision or not BUT u care whether dropping Ganguly was right or wrong.Why????????
. Ganguly was born into one of the richest families in Kolkatta and was privileged from bith. Jaffer is the son of a bus driver, has no godfathers, got into the team both times purely o the basis of performances not because he's a Bengali or a Malayali. And you care more about Ganguly who has a hundred powerful godfathers.....

What is this absolute fantastic form of Ganguly that you are talking about.A forty and a near forty.

Ganguly has never had a great test record to be honest. He averages just above 40. At this age you do not expect him to get better than he was before. Quite honestly, Ganguly at his best would have had to fight hard with Yuvraj for a place in this team....

England have changed the ball. Not the new ball. So now they can reverse the ball pretty much. Good 50 by Jaffer. They all need relax and play carefull.

vibs89 said:
England have changed the ball. Not the new ball. So now they can reverse the ball pretty much. Good 50 by Jaffer. They all need relax and play carefull.

Changing the ball should benefit India as it will take some time to get reverse swing plus it would be relatively hard and come on to the bat.

Dropping Kaif for Yuvraj would be stupid. May be Laxman, if he doesn't perform well.
Kaif is in good form, we need such kind of batsmen.

Sehwag is under pressure as well, his weakness (Laxman's too) against the incoming delivery has been exposed numerous times now.

Selectors will face some tough time soon.

Jaffer playing a good knock, and India are moving along quite well. Don't write off anything yet, but the Indian camp can relax a bit.

It is an old ball, so it won't be that much time before it starts reversing (in fact, it has already started). I don't see why the ball was changed. From what the commentators said, it seemed that the ball was changed because England did a poor job of preserving the shine on the ball.

sohummisra said:
It is an old ball, so it won't be that much time before it starts reversing (in fact, it has already started). I don't see why the ball was changed. From what the commentators said, it seemed that the ball was changed because England did a poor job of preserving the shine on the ball.

But balls are not changed too often in test cricket. there has to be some solid reason

Users who are viewing this thread