England in Pakistan

Who will win the ODI Series

• Total voters
aussie1st said:
McGrath may have been right if he didn't trip on a cricket ball. Usually when the Great Man predicts something it happens.
Well, we didn't loose while he was playing.

angryangy said:
Exactly he would have restricted England to much lower totals. If our batters would have chased it down is another question.

sinkwood said:
latest news total spin bowlers

Afradi
Shoaib Malik
Danish
Mushtaq Ahmed
arshad khan
saqlain mushtaq
And 2 New Spiners

go shoaib go getout from PAKISTAN team spiners hell dont like you

No idea what you are on about here. Anyway onto those spinners.
Afridi a quick leg spin bowler.
Malik have seen much of since his action was brought up.
Danish Kaneria a very good leg spin bowler with a massive heart.
Next 2 never heard of.
Saqlain gorn.

angryangy said:

Meh we've had all the injuries in previous Ashes series, about time you got some bad luck :p

Sureshot said:
the coach of Pakistan bob woolmer has said he doesn't think England will emulate our Ashes success. Stop giving us inscentives you idiot, McGrath and the Aussies did that and look how we responded.

Sureshot said:
He never said 'we'll win 3-0' he said 'we'll aim to win 3-0'.

Off course I had to look for it, just to look how biased these comments are.

England's Paul Collingwood believes the team can achieve a 3-0 whitewash in the forthcoming Test series in Pakistan.

"That's our goal," said the Durham all-rounder

In response to Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer's remark that England may struggle for motivation so soon after their Ashes triumph, Collingwood said: "That comes down to the individual.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4374454.stm

Paul Collingwood has insisted England can achieve a 3-0 whitewash in the forthcoming Test series in Pakistan.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/pakveng/content/story/223103.html

For me Collingwood's remarks are no difference then of McGrath's. And I don't see Woolmer's comment about whether England wouldn't emulate Ashes there. Just there could be a struggle of motivation so soon after their Ashes win. There's a big difference in these sentences.

And England has arrived in Pakistan and already had a swimming session and a Press Conference.

England team arrive in Pakistan
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/223131.html

Last edited:
No McGrath said 'We WILL win 5-0', Collingwood is saying 'our goal is to AIM to win 3-0'.

There is a big difference between those two comments.

Whatever you're thinking, it doesn't make any difference to me. McGrath's 'goal' was also to win 5-0.

"I've said we could win 4-0, unless we got a bit of rain, in which case it might be 3-0. But it might be back to 5-0 by next summer."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/3637102.stm

Pakistani squad will be announced after a match during the weekend. I think Saturday.

Pakistan XI vs Rest of Pakistan : Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore.

Pakistan XI 352/2 at stumps, Day 1/4

Shoaib Malik 177* (217)

Younis Khan 107 (133) c Taufeeq Umar b Mansoor Amjad

Mohammad Yousuf 42* (51)

Salman Butt 1 (14) LBW b Shoaib Akhtar

Akhtar 15-2-50-1

Mansoor Amjad 17-1-114-1

A run fest for Pakistan XI lol

Mushtaq Ahmed played as well, but no wickets for him (He was on Rest of Pakistan XI)

Sureshot said:
No McGrath said 'We WILL win 5-0', Collingwood is saying 'our goal is to AIM to win 3-0'.

There is a big difference between those two comments.
There is also a big difference between the impact that Glenn McGrath has on a game and the impact Paul Collingwood has.

Also it's not as good for the media if you say "If I don't step on a cricket ball, we will win"

Slightly more on topic, Vaughan on Pakistan's spin options; "We played Shane Warne reasonably well".

Setting low standards?

England played Shane warne good in English conditions, Pakistan conditions are very very different to the english ones, it will be a challange to play spin in Pakistan well.

Its hard enough to win a test series in Pakistan, rather then winning it 3-0!.

Warne's career average is about 25. His average in England is just under 22. Against England, his average is a bit over 22.

His average on the Ashes tour was a bit under 20. There is no way you can read these statistics as "playing him well", they played him more agressively than past teams, but ultimately failed to play him better.

Still the fact that in the 4 tests he was amazing in you didn't win proves he played him ok, as he didn't win a test for you.

Shane Warne is a different class to other spinners ever, comparing how we play him to other spinners is pointless, warne is the greatest spinner ever, no one comes close bar Murali.

Mind you that England managed to play spin reasonably well in the 2000-01 tour of Pakistan. And this time, I believe, we have a better and much more aggressive batting lineup which has the ability to hit the spinners out of the attack.

aussie1st said:
Next 2 never heard of.
Saqlain gorn.

Mushtaq Ahmed troubled England during the 1996 tour of Pakistan to England
And Arshad Khan bowled decently enough during the recently conducted Indian tour.

Saqlain is out of question.No chance for him now...the poor chap.

Sureshot said:
Still the fact that in the 4 tests he was amazing in you didn't win proves we played him ok, as he didn't win a test for you.
No, it proves England were more successful in playing the whole bowling attack than Australia were playing England's. By bowling average, it was Warne's second most successful Ashes series. By tradition England have struggled against Warne. At home, moreso. Even by these standards, it was an exceptional series for him. Vaughan saying his batsmen played Warne reasonably well is folly. I'm sure they didn't say to themselves, "well, at least he didn't take 50 wickets, job well done, eh?"

Sureshot said:
Shane Warne is a different class to other spinners ever, comparing how we play him to other spinners is pointless, Warne is the greatest spinner ever, no one comes close bar Murali.
And if England justify it like that, they will continue trying to sweep and slog against the spin and keep loosing wickets to it. Yes, they can expect to fare better against the likes of Kaneria, but they're kidding themselves if they think they're out of the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread