Who will win the ODI Series

• Total voters
What the F***??

England in Pakistan, 2005-06

England fielding tactic under scrutiny

Cricinfo staff

November 3, 2005

Michael Vaughan's latest fielding tactic may not be within the laws of the game

Michael Vaughan has gained the reputation for being an uncompromising and innovative captain. His constant tinkering with field settings was a key part of the Ashes series, but his latest attempt to out-think the opposition batsmen could be about to launch a row with Pakistan.

During the final day of England's warm-up match against the Patron's XI Vaughan - who was fielding in the unfamiliar position of slip to the spinners - moved to leg-slip while deliveries were in mid-flight.

This movement goes against law 41, which states that: "Any significant movement by any fielder after the ball comes into play and before the ball reaches the striker is unfair. In the event of such unfair movement, either umpire shall call and signal dead ball."

But following England's 52-run win Vaughan said he didn't see anything wrong with his tactic and would consider using it during the Tests. "I don't think it was sportsmanship. I thought it was quite smart," reported The Times, "I moved very fast, as soon as the ball had been released. If a player is going to sweep, it is an option - we'll see if we use it in the Test matches."

A similar situation sparked the infamous Mike Gatting and Shakoor Rana row in 1987 at Faisalabad, when the two became involved in a heated exchange at square-leg. This led to a day's play being abandoned when Gatting, at first, refused to offer an apology

So it doesnt really matter to Vaughan that what he is doing is against the laws of cricket? If he really thinks that is "smart" then I would like to have an idea fom him about bodyline and chucking. It was pretty damn smart to use bodyline against Bradman IMO. Granted bodyline was not illegal at that time, so quite smart even if it was "not cricket". So I guess England captains have a history of bending rules to their liking. But this is even beyond bending the rules. He is clearly contradicting the rule and saying there's nothing wrong with it. Can someone explain it to me... or is the rule quoted in this article not accurate?

England are rusty and are having to get used to the conditions. The Patron's XI(exhibitional side) bowled well.

However, Pakistan will be good at home and will want to beat the Ashes conquerors.
England will have to play as well as they did against Australia if they are to beat Pakistan, and India, both very good sides, strong at home.

I had already the story, which this article consists. And don't like this attitude. Especially since it's against the law.

liam plunkett was very impressive..however Geraint jones' may find himself out of favor for the first test because Matt Prior batted really well..england should go in with Giles & Udal. it is only logical to go in with two spinners..

satishmania said:
liam plunkett was very impressive..however Geraint jones' may find himself out of favor for the first test because Matt Prior batted really well..england should go in with Giles & Udal. it is only logical to go in with two spinners..
I will still go in with 3 seamers and 1 spinner. Thats our strength, and we must stick with it.

m_vaughan said:
Vaughan did mention that he was unaware about this law.
A bit difficult to fathom after the Gatting-Rana episode under similar circumstances.. apparantly that also started after Rana gave a no-ball for field changes Gatting made during a bowler's delivery.. i dont know if there are other versions of that story... anyways, for an England player, no less their captain, coming to Pakistan and not to know about that bit of history is a bit strange... for my money Vaughan is trying to be a smartass and get under Pakistani's skins, meaning he is doing that deliberately. Just making him look like an arrogant and ignorant ass right now IMO. An armchair expert like me who has never played official/semi-official cricket, if someone like ME knows about this law (mainly because of the Gatting/Rana row) then why is an international captain ignorant of this?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not impossible you know. For me, I was aware about the Rana-Gatting incident, but dint really know what exactly caused it.

m_vaughan said:
It is not impossible you know. For me, I was aware about the Rana-Gatting incident, but dint really know what exactly caused it.
I suppose... well I guess he did win you back the Ashes, so you will probably forgive him a couple of homicides right now... Pakis probably felt that way about Imran Khan after he won us the world cup :-)

m_vaughan said:
I will still go in with 3 seamers and 1 spinner. Thats our strength, and we must stick with it.

Of course England can do that when they have an all rounder called Flintoff. :(

Users who are viewing this thread