England in the 90s

At the risk of giving away spoilers about whether not I batted 9 more sessions to save the match, I've just seen the lineup for the next test, I've just noticed Richard Blakey is batting 6. We didn't give ourselves a chance.

It will surprise nobody that I didn't last 9 sessions for the draw, and indeed barely lasted 19 overs. This series could be over very quickly, which is a shame as it's the only sub-continent tour of the 90s.

XSBqPxM.jpg

2Y4Wm6T.jpg

Kumble did pick up a couple at last, and looks very sharp in his fielding glasses.

o0r7FuA.jpg

pW2LFQU.jpg

But he definitely played second fiddle to Raju.
VJJD40x.jpg

I am childishly pleased with myself in having found an obscure youtube video with some footage of the third test, including the 3rd test presentation and discovering that this series was the "Charms Cup", and this was what they had on the field markings.
lVLcBLi.jpg

I've downloaded Stewie's Kookaburra bubble. Dunno who made it but it looks awesome.
UwoLMQF.jpg

As does @wasteyouryouth Azahruddin.
FwfJ1Ph.jpg

Tendulkar seems to have been so bamboozled by Salisbury's non-turning legspin, that he has aged 15 years.
iuAf0UN.jpg

Or could it be the thought of England's lethal pace attack?
6QqFKqY.jpg

Kudos to Big Ant however, I've set a grassy/dusty pitch for the 2nd test, and this colour/visual is VERY like the pitches seen in the youtube footage i've found.

tuXH4hG.jpg

India won the toss and bat first. At least I've got Tuffers in this test as well as Hick and Salisbury. Paul Taylor misses out, dropped after his first test. Gooch is unwell, so Robin Smith becomes a makeshift opener, Alec Stewart takes over as captain and Richard Blakey makes his debut keeps wicket. Michael Atherton, who will be captain in 8 tests time, still can't get in the team despite Gooch's absence. Yes, he is on the tour.

That's the most severe I've seen it tbf, it's usually about half as worn. Even my 1st inns one didn't look like that, which makes me think it's to do with the pitch type/age

Reactions: i.n
England Started the 3rd day 0n 126/7 still 95 behind Unfortunaly didn't Last long 18 . overs first To GO Was Pringle 18 before went for hook shot skied it easy catch for Hayes bowled by Walsh for is 4th wicket in the first inns.

Ramprakash still there though . Next To go was Malcolm for 0 lovely bowl to knock the middle stump out Ambrose . And Then Ramprakash He went for the Last wicket for 67 nice innings .

Tufnell No 0. England all out 159 , West Indies Bowling Was - Ambrose 14. 0 . 39 . 1w Patterson 14.2 ov 1 .38.3w . Marshall 14 .2. 43.1w . 17 .4 .29 .4w for Walsh

England Have been asked to follow on Still Trail 279 . Thanks ian

2ND TEST - DAY ONE MORNING

Looking to bounce back after their humiliating first test defeat, the last thing England needed was the unavailability of their captain and best batsman, Graham Gooch. Gooch fell ill after sharing a prawn curry with fellow veteran Mike Gatting. Gatting is also unwell but passed fit to play. Alec Stewart captains England for the first time and gives up the gloves to Richard Blakey, who comes in to make his debut.

Elsewhere, England seem to have learned their lesson that the Indian subcontinent is not the place for 4 seamers, Paul Taylor missing out with Phil Tufnell returning to the side. The batting still looks light, Blakey for Gooch and switching Lewis and Salisbury at 7 & 8 doesn't really add heft to a batting lineup dismissed for 49, and with Robin Smith as a makeshift opener, Mike Atherton must wonder what he has to do to get in the side.

WhJGpBF.png

On a pitch you definitely don't want to bat last on, England will be doing just that as Stewart lost the toss and India had no hesitation in batting. But England got a great start thanks to brilliant fielding from Devon Malcolm and a brain fade from Navjot Sidhu...

This brought Vinod Kambli to the wicket, fresh off his 192* - this inns went just a little differently...

qlQgD5i.png

Tendulkar followed quickly, a first dismissal for Richard Blakey.

aCtOoAZ.png

England's great start could have been better, as Jarvis dropped Prabakhar on 18.

Prabakhar was eventually another victim for Tufnell, but had took his score up to 36. In the context of a lunchtime score of 75/5 however, an additional 18 runs is significant.

5tPrZX1.png

elZb64P.png

Kwq9jzM.png

England's morning, but can they capitalise, particularly when its their turn to bat?

Last edited:
Could have told me my next series is 5 TESTS AGAINST THE WEST INDIES btw, must have missed that when you did it. Ffs :lol

Yeah 91 summer is 5 home tests vs Windies and a one-off against Sri Lanka.

Somehow I won the Ashes and the 91 series vs Windies, and not won a series since.

Yeah 91 summer is 5 home tests vs Windies and a one-off against Sri Lanka.

Somehow I won the Ashes and the 91 series vs Windies, and not won a series since.

No one wants to play 5 against the West Indies on green pitches in England. Recipie for disaster that

England pick up after lunch, needing to capitalise on their good start.

Salisbury removes Pravin Amre, before Hick sends back More and Kumble in quick succession. Kumble trundles off to consider whether he might be outbowled by Salisbury on his own turf...

WY7FvPF.jpg

Before Tufnell removes Chauhan and Kapil Dev - India 98 all out less than hour after lunch on day 1.
ucDP8qE.jpg

aO7wDbO.jpg

And the question on everyone's lips: how will Dave manage to lose from here? (Answer: easily and inevitably, I'm sure.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread