Story England: The New Breed! Kev Mead Called Up and Deputises as Skipper (ICC 06)

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Right Guys The Second Test Is Being Re-Done!

cricnewsnv9.gif

Hello and welcome to day one. I am Geraint Jones and lets not waste any time at all, lets look at Day 1.

The stand in captain joins the party straight away and shows his lads how its done. Sri Lanka hadnt even got going when Mead struck and had Tharanga's middle stump cartwheeling for 4.6/1
1stwicketqt2.jpg

The second wicket came when when Sri Lanka were looking quite good, they were 77/1, when Teague found a way through Sangakkara's defenses and uprooted the middle stick.77/2
2ndwicketkk7.jpg

The third wicket came thanks to a pitched up ball by Payne, which Samaweera didnt have any shot control whatsoever on his leg glance, the ball went straight to Davie who took it like he would never get another catch.92/3
3rdwickettw3.jpg

Wicket 4 came again to Payne, this time Jayawardene couldnt help but snick the ball to F.Fan who was eagerly awaiting the ball in the slip cordon.
4thwicketvb8.jpg

The fifth wicket came to Mead who had caught behind by Mcpinch, great tight bowling by Mead who now has two.
wicketkeeper298.jpg

The sixth wicket also came to Mead who has Vandort C&B by a slower ball, great thinking by the stand in captain! 3 Wickets now for Mead.
5thwicketav1.jpg

The 7th wicket fell to Payne who was already on two, and added a third by having Kapugedera caught at second slip by the always reliable F.Fan
6thwicketho4.jpg

The final wicket to fall from the day was the wicket of Murabek, for a days high of 63. Davie spun the ball from outside off and it took middle stump almost out of the ground, a great masterclass of all types of bowling today.
7thwicketru8.jpg

So the final scoreline of today is Sri Lanka are almost out on 273/8.

Here are the score cards.
scorecardde7.jpg

bowlingvq9.jpg

graphjr8.jpg

Join us tomorrow to see Day 2's highlights from Edgebaston!

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Great performance by Kev! You can always rely on him to bowl a side out.

Why do I get the feeling that this second Test will never finish?;)

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Crouch's all-round brilliance helps Lions get revenge!​
Crouch stars with 99* and 2 wickets as TT Lions make it 2-2 against long time rival in season finale!!​

English-West Indian Allrounder Ryan Crouch starred in the Lion's 61 run win over long time rivals New Courland. He put in a brilliant allround contribution, scoring 99* off 102 balls with 3 sixes as the Lions put up a decent target of 242. However, the target proved to be more than enough, as New Courlands were bundled out for 181. Crouch played a crucial role again, striking with the 4th ball of the innings to trap star batsman Boardman in front for a duck, and then returing at the end of the innings to pick up tailender Goodman clean bowled. He also held a catch off MOTM Andrews and returned figures of 7-1-34-2.
"I am happy with my performance, it is a fine way to end the season. I hope this will send out a message to the selectors. I would also like to thank Briggles (Briggs) and Skate (Lee Payne) for all the support they are showing"
Crouch scored 703 runs at an avaerage of 140.6 this season, with two 50s and three 100s, and took 30 wickets at 16.30 with a best bowling of 4/23.
Crouch is next going to play against Borncricketers XI tommorrow here at the Lion Stands, where it is rumoured he might open the batting.

afridi25

International Cricketer
Hameed smashes surrey home

emp-3784695-1146.jpg

Hameed Ahmad smashed surrey home as they beat nottinghamshire in the pro 40 tournament yesterday at trent bridge. He hit 89 off 67 balls to guide surrey to a 5 wicket victory. Nottinghamshire hit 236-9 off there 40 overs and surrey hit 238-5 off 37 overs as they won. Hameed was given the man of the match award. 2 days ago he had been out for 7 against Hampshire but he showed his power today.

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Day two from Edgebaston

cricnewsnv9.gif

Hello, im Geraint Jones and welcome to CricNews, Lets take a look how England bowled out the last two men this morning!

sri9thwicketid6.jpg

srilankaalloutfor303iv5.jpg

Sri Lanka were bowled for just over 300 runs, which is a bonus for this very young England team.

cricket2006081221362318fw0.png

Well Bowled Mr.Mead, Great LBW shout
cricket2006081221362603tu6.png

Davie Takes His Second Wicket, and Sri Lanka are bowled out

Join us after this break for Englands 1st Innings, and a few suprises are in store!

Please keep tuned to Channel 4!

Last edited:

afridi25

International Cricketer
Come on England lets win this and let Hameed play the next match LOL

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Roberts Hints at Crouch Call-Up

England coach Matthew Roberts, who was today released from hospital, has left a strong hint that Ryan Crouch could play at Trent Bridge in the third Test. Speaking to The Guardian after recovering from minor lascerations, he went on to say that Crouch deserves a place in the squad.

"His performances on the county circuit have been exceptional of late, and although it may seem that I am ignoring him, i'm actually a very keen admirer of the lad.", "He is teh kind of cricketer that I like, he bats well, bowls well and he is one of the best fielders in England. I'm not guranteeing anything, but if he keeps up this level of performance, then an England call-up isn't too far away."

He also went on to say that youngster Lee Payne has all the qualities of a great fast bowler.

"I've been incredibly pleased with this lad. Even when I handed him his debut at Lords, I didn't think he would be as good as he has been. Although he isn't taking a lot of wickets at the moment, he is being very economical and he is making the batsmen jump."

In other news, wicket keeper Hameed Ahmad has been ruled out for the rest of the season, after he tripped on some bumpy outfield and fell awkardly. The medical staff at Surrey are comparing the injury to the one that Simon Jones suffered in Brisbane in 2002, and Ahmad is almost certain to miss the Ashes in November now.

Last edited:

afridi25

International Cricketer
What the %$^?&* i had a injury. you can not do this to me i am a star keeper

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
England: 1st Innings

cricnewsnv9.gif

Englands has made a good start to there first innings and were creaping nearer and nearer to a century opening pair, but Vaas struck when the score was 60/0, Briggs on 25 went for a big shot, got a edge and it went towards the boundry. Briggs tried his hardest to get back but the Sri Lankan fielder made a direct hit and he was a goner!

cricket2006081221381059pm3.png

Baines fell 17 runs later on 44, he edged a sweep shot and it spooned up into the air off Murali's bowling and in the end, it went saftly into the arms of Kapugedera.

63245mn3.jpg

Barrow, who was trying to make a mark on his comeback game, went for just 1 run to a superb slip catch by Jayawardene. Vaas steamed in and found Barrow's edge, and it flew off at some speed but always Mr.reliable caught the ball and the "spin king" was on his way.

3rdwicketqm7.jpg

Sid Sidson has made a good start to his innings and looked steady, but just one moment of madness found Sidson trudging back to the dressing room after only making 23. Sidson edged an easy catch to Sangakkara.

4thwicketzi9.jpg

F.Fan looked to be going well, and made his 27 off 61 balls, but again Vaas made the right hander edge a ball which went into Sangakara's gloves.

5thwicketiz7.jpg

Teague also made 27, but he made them in a quick spell of 46 balls. Murali got one ball to spin in between bat and pad, and Teague was on his way.

inline

Cullington tried to stick around to try to make some runs but fell on 12. Samaweera pitched a ball up which stayed straight and Culli as he is better known nicked it to the always impressive Sangakkara.

7thwicketrr8.jpg

Murali got Davie out by a clever slower ball which got Davie very interested in, as he tried to flick it off his pads a diving Tharanga managed to grasp the ball and Davie walked for just 3.

8thwicketbr0.jpg

the 'Keeper Mcpinch made 10 runs, in a unexciting innings which didnt offer anything special. Samaweera caught him LBW square infront.

9thwicketoy4.jpg

Lee Payne walked in with a head of steel on, and made a very exciting last wicket partnership of 60 with captain Mead. This last wicket standing broke when Mead fell to a LBW by Murali!

10thwicketxl6.jpg

England have been bowled out for 242, 61shy of Sri Lanka's total!

Englands Batting Card

englandsbattinggp5.jpg

Sri Lanka's Bowling

englandsbattinggp5.jpg

cricnewsnv9.gif

We caught up with Simon Barrow on the way in, he is acting Assistant manager in this test along with Fred Flintoff, we asked him about Crouch's chances and the injury sustained to Hameed Ahmad.

"Yeah ive watched Crouch for along time, and ive gotta say he is maturing into a cracking player, and i fully understand if i dont buck up in the second innings it will be me who gets the axe in place of him, i say good luck, but im looking to put a match changing proformance in tomorrow."

"Hameed has been seriously unlucky with his injury, he was having a laugh at dinner, and stumbled back, he was trying to take a high catch and didnt land too well, Surry medical staff have informed me that he will 99% be out of the ashes, but ive gotta say to the guy, look towards that 1% because that can change! Word is that he is out for 7 months, about 4 of them will be to repair the leg, and then itll be at least 3 months of rehab"

England went out onto the field with only 5 overs to bowl, Payne had 3 of them and took the wicket of the 'keeper, Sangakkara.

Mead didnt give much in the last few overs and both guys went in with smiles on, 5/1, looking good for England to exploit tomorrow, join us then!

sri1stwicketwk7.jpg

Here is todays review, have a great night!

endofdaysi4.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread