England tour of India (5 Tests)

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Great comeback from India in the 2nd session. England did well to get those extra 20-25 runs after the fall of 8th wicket, wonder how crucial will that be.

Anderson would be itching to bowl especially the morning session tomorrow. Feel like Wood's pace might come handy here.

India will need to preserve their wickets as this appears to be a low scoring match.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Great comeback from India in the 2nd session. England did well to get those extra 20-25 runs after the fall of 8th wicket, wonder how crucial will that be.

Anderson would be itching to bowl especially the morning session tomorrow. Feel like Wood's pace might come handy here.

India will need to preserve their wickets as this appears to be a low scoring match.
I think India will score at least 400 here.

Bigby Wolf

Verified
India
Mumbai Indians
The Boys
What in earth happened?

Saw the score in the morning when its 2 down England for 100 runs.

Now its India being 125-1 at the end of almost day 1.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I woke up and England were two down. I dropped Mrs Aislabie at work, and got back just in time to see the seventh and eighth wickets fall.

Is Zak Crawley now unironically England's best batter?
He's averaging 50+ in the last twelve months (10.5 matches), no one else is. Got double the same number of 50s in those 20 innings as in is previous 61 though. Only one century though, which is pretty standard for him (1 every 20 innings).

But I'd expect England are happy with good, assertive opening partnerships that he and Duckett have put together. This series they have failed to capitalise on them.

He's solved the not getting out very cheaply bit but can't go big. I'd say that's probably not something England are too concerned about (although with the middle order being so weak this tour, maybe not).

Also, 10 of these matches have been against the best two sides in the world, and one series away.

Bevab

Staff Member
He's averaging 50+ in the last twelve months (10.5 matches), no one else is. Got double the same number of 50s in those 20 innings as in is previous 61 though. Only one century though, which is pretty standard for him (1 every 20 innings).

But I'd expect England are happy with good, assertive opening partnerships that he and Duckett have put together. This series they have failed to capitalise on them.

He's solved the not getting out very cheaply bit but can't go big. I'd say that's probably not something England are too concerned about (although with the middle order being so weak this tour, maybe not).

Also, 10 of these matches have been against the best two sides in the world, and one series away.

I think you want him to go big, not just from the perspective of “bigger is always better” but also because he’s an opener who is eschewing the traditional norm of batting for time like his partner. If he scores a fifty but is dismissed when the ball is still doing bits then it still leaves the middle order vulnerable. The main reason why this hasn’t been an issue is because Duckett has been getting out before him.

But as you say his last two series have been versus the best opposition in world cricket right now and he’s still scoring runs that others aren’t so my take here is extremely nitpick-y if anything.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
England look mentally checked out already.
They looked checked out after the win they got in the first test. I think they over celebrated a famous victory and thought mission accomplished. Bazball has even though been fun to watch, is going to be detrimental for test cricket in longer run if they keep playing this way. they dont care about WTC, they almost dont care about test cricket wins anymore due to "the style of cricket" that they play.

Ya at this rate test cricket aint surviving.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I think you want him to go big, not just from the perspective of “bigger is always better” but also because he’s an opener who is eschewing the traditional norm of batting for time like his partner. If he scores a fifty but is dismissed when the ball is still doing bits then it still leaves the middle order vulnerable. The main reason why this hasn’t been an issue is because Duckett has been getting out before him.

But as you say his last two series have been versus the best opposition in world cricket right now and he’s still scoring runs that others aren’t so my take here is extremely nitpick-y if anything.
I don't disagree. As an overall contribution in Visag and Ranchi he added over 149 and 102 runs, respectively. But in those matches, no one else got a 50 (Vizag) and 2nd innings at Ranchi everyone disappeared. So it feels like he's been let down. At the same time, when you look at Pope's 196 it changed the course of the game which can be the significance of doing your scoring in a single innings.

He's such an odd cricketer. He's averaging 37 under Stokes. We'd have taken that based on the likes of Burns, Sibley, Hameed and Crawley in the last few years but that's still only better than Foakes and Stokes out of regular top 7 options. Meanwhile, Duckett is averaging more than Cook at a strike rate better than Sehwag.

Bevab

Staff Member
They looked checked out after the win they got in the first test. I think they over celebrated a famous victory and thought mission accomplished. Bazball has even though been fun to watch, is going to be detrimental for test cricket in longer run if they keep playing this way. they dont care about WTC, they almost dont care about test cricket wins anymore due to "the style of cricket" that they play.

Ya at this rate test cricket aint surviving.

I don’t agree with this. They played as well they could have with Root and Robinson being the only ones that have underperformed. They’ve just been beaten by a side with better talent in all facets of the game (other than numbers three to five perhaps) and one with more experience in these conditions. They’ve lost games at key moments but that seems like a skill difference rather than them not caring after winning one test (which would run contrary to their ethos till now).

Besides NZ fans I don’t recall anyone taking WTC seriously. Maybe SL fans when they had an outside shot at qualifying for the last final or Pakistani fans when the schedule for the second cycle was originally released and they believed in their team performing at home…. I’m yet to see Aussie and England fans take it seriously and I doubt they will after how many points were deducted in the Ashes. Indian fans use it as a stick to beat the IPL and the team with for their failure to win a major trophy but I don’t think they’ll be celebrating it heavily compared to a WC win.
Post automatically merged:

I don't disagree. As an overall contribution in Visag and Ranchi he added over 149 and 102 runs, respectively. But in those matches, no one else got a 50 (Vizag) and 2nd innings at Ranchi everyone disappeared. So it feels like he's been let down. At the same time, when you look at Pope's 196 it changed the course of the game which can be the significance of doing your scoring in a single innings.

He's such an odd cricketer. He's averaging 37 under Stokes. We'd have taken that based on the likes of Burns, Sibley, Hameed and Crawley in the last few years but that's still only better than Foakes and Stokes out of regular top 7 options. Meanwhile, Duckett is averaging more than Cook at a strike rate better than Sehwag.

He has only recently turned the corner around I suppose. The upcoming home summer should be an easy assignment to fill his boots with runs, if he is still struggling to make those big scores then it may be a concentration issue.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I don’t agree with this. They played as well they could have with Root and Robinson being the only ones that have underperformed. They’ve just been beaten by a side with better talent in all facets of the game (other than numbers three to five perhaps) and one with more experience in these conditions. They’ve lost games at key moments but that seems like a skill difference rather than them not caring after winning one test (which would run contrary to their ethos till now).

Besides NZ fans I don’t recall anyone taking WTC seriously. Maybe SL fans when they had an outside shot at qualifying for the last final or Pakistani fans when the schedule for the second cycle was originally released and they believed in their team performing at home…. I’m yet to see Aussie and England fans take it seriously and I doubt they will after how many points were deducted in the Ashes. Indian fans use it as a stick to beat the IPL and the team with for their failure to win a major trophy but I don’t think they’ll be celebrating it heavily compared to a WC win.
Post automatically merged:

He has only recently turned the corner around I suppose. The upcoming home summer should be an easy assignment to fill his boots with runs, if he is still struggling to make those big scores then it may be a concentration issue.
I think this series, alongside the Ashes, has shown that this England side is a good team capable of great results. A great team would have won a home Ashes and, in my opinion, at least not lose in India. A great team would not need the great results because they wouldn't find themselves in so many impossible situations. Realistically the wins in Pakistan remain the absolute best achievement.

As it is, assuming the result goes the way I expect in this test, they've achieved the same series results that they did under Root. There's no question that there's been progress; primarily from a spectacle position. Even though I love test cricket, this team makes it more watchable than ever. It's been a frustrating series because some of those old weaknesses have surfaced but, like you say, India are better and more experienced in almost all departments.

I feel like people think Bazball is some cheat code that has made England a great team when, as I see it, it has just unlocked players to reach their potential. They aren't necessarily better players just more effective. This has been a really good series, like @Bigby Wolf said last week, it feels very similar to the 4-1 in England when on paper it looks one-sided but has ultimately come down to a few sessions going one way. Hopefully, that's a sign that next time they tour England (although the side might look somewhat different) those who return are better prepared and more experienced to take on the challenge and achieve better results.

India will probably look a different team then too. The series has given really opportunities for some more players to breakthrough. Jaiswal looks like he'll be around forever, Kuldeep seems to continue to improve, Jurel looks like he'll make a very good option particularly if Pant's long-term selection as a keeper is in doubt. Deep looked like Shami 2.0, Sarfaraz has had the chances everyone has been craving for two years. Hopefully Patidar and Mukesh will still be going strong next time England visit.

Bigby Wolf

Verified
India
Mumbai Indians
The Boys
I think this series, alongside the Ashes, has shown that this England side is a good team capable of great results. A great team would have won a home Ashes and, in my opinion, at least not lose in India. A great team would not need the great results because they wouldn't find themselves in so many impossible situations. Realistically the wins in Pakistan remain the absolute best achievement.

As it is, assuming the result goes the way I expect in this test, they've achieved the same series results that they did under Root. There's no question that there's been progress; primarily from a spectacle position. Even though I love test cricket, this team makes it more watchable than ever. It's been a frustrating series because some of those old weaknesses have surfaced but, like you say, India are better and more experienced in almost all departments.

I feel like people think Bazball is some cheat code that has made England a great team when, as I see it, it has just unlocked players to reach their potential. They aren't necessarily better players just more effective. This has been a really good series, like @Bigby Wolf said last week, it feels very similar to the 4-1 in England when on paper it looks one-sided but has ultimately come down to a few sessions going one way. Hopefully, that's a sign that next time they tour England (although the side might look somewhat different) those who return are better prepared and more experienced to take on the challenge and achieve better results.

India will probably look a different team then too. The series has given really opportunities for some more players to breakthrough. Jaiswal looks like he'll be around forever, Kuldeep seems to continue to improve, Jurel looks like he'll make a very good option particularly if Pant's long-term selection as a keeper is in doubt. Deep looked like Shami 2.0, Sarfaraz has had the chances everyone has been craving for two years. Hopefully Patidar and Mukesh will still be going strong next time England visit.
One key difference between both sides is how Kuldeep bowled throughout the England players did struggle to pick him at times and Kuldeep too has come off ages.

He was the one actually stopped the run flow put pressure on the batters to score.

The Duckett dismissal on the 3rd day of the 3rd test match was the best case of it , bowled well throughout the morning and eventually wickets fell and well complemented by Bumrah on the other end.

Kuldeep has been absolutely sensational this series.

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
mini_magick20240308-30191-qbwywi.jpg

This image is something else... After 75 years, someone in Test cricket complete 1000 runs within there first 10 test matches... Yashasvi is 5th player to do so... Yashasvi means Successful... So, as his name he successfully entered in record books... Also he become highest test run scorer in a single series for India...

Users who are viewing this thread