Story England's Journey to WorldCup-Ashes06-07 : 3rd Test (Perth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Injury scare for Martyn
Damien Martyn, the solid Australian middle order batsman, is in doubt for the second test match against England at Adelaide Oval, after dislocating his thumb on day 4 of the 1st test match just after lunch. Martyn sustained the injury while attempting a catch of A.Cook in the second slip and went off the field immediately. His fitness will be assessed a day before the start of the second test match. Stuart Clark, the Australian medium fast bowler, is also suffering with back pain but is likely to get fit for the second test match.
0,5001,5310115,00.jpg

Damien Martyn during the first test match

Should Martyn miss out, his place is likely to be taken by all rounder Andrew Symonds. Ricky Ponting, the Australian captain, is hoping for a hard pitch at Adelaide than the one used for the first match in Brisbane, to give the batsmen a better workout.

Ponting said he was impressed by the victory in the first test and is looking forward to take a 2-0 lead in the second test. Australia won the first test match by 247 runs.

"I'm most impressed with the way we played in the match," said Ponting. "Any time when you are playing in the Ashes the pressure is always on and we were brilliant with the bat and bowlers did all the hard work as well. Hayden continued his brilliant form with the bat and Warney was magnificent with his spin and now 700 is not far for him."

About Stuart Clark suffering with back pain,Ponting said " He bowled a good line and length in the first test match but was unlucky to pick any wicket. Also his back pain is not too serious and I hope that he will be fit to play in the second test match."

Great update mate :)

I don't think that if Martyn misses it will be to serious as Symonds is a very good batsman. However the Stuart Clark injury could be a problem. Hopefully he will miss the next match :p

Martyn should be fit before 2nd test. Symonds will be very exciting to get place in National squad.

England will be back in series... .

As Tom said, Martyn won't be a big problem as Symo will be in although Stuart Clark's injury could be very bad for Australia. England have to win the next match. They have a very good chance.

Go England:happy

Great update.

Australia will be in a bit of trouble if Stuart Clark is out but he probably wont be. Martyn wont be much of a loss though.

Nice little update there. Symonds should cover the loss of Martyn, who I swear is going to retire :p. Clark could be replaced by Hilfenhaus.

sorry havent posted for a while, England are gonna need to fight back...
sad to see martyn out (NOT) come on england in the next game

awesome story KUTGW

Welcome back Freddie :).

Updates coming tomorrow. I am bit busy these days as my exams have started so i have decided to cut some part of 3rd Man's Chat: pre-match analysis.Sorry for that:( but there will be a good match analysis after the end of the match :) :).

So get ready for the start of the 2nd test match live from Adelaide Oval with both teams making some changes in their lineups ;)

Symonds, Johnson in the team for 2nd test
Damien Martyn, the Australian middle order batsman,who was suffering with his thumb injury is now ruled out of the second test match against England at Adelaide Oval. Martyn dislocated his thumb on day 4 of the 1st test match just after lunch when he was attempting a catch of A.Cook in the second slip and went off the field immediately. His fitness was assessed today, couple of hours before the start of the test match. As a result of this, Andrew Symonds is included in the side which not only strengthens the Australian batting lineup but also provides them with an extra bowling option.

045083tn8.jpg

Damien Martyn during the fitness test

But the worrying factor for Australia is that Stuart Clark is still suffering with his back pain problem and will miss this test match. Clark's injury was not so serious but the team physio said :
The problem about Stuart Clark is not serious but he is not 100% fit to play so we are not taking any risk and are resting him for this test match.

This made the Australian management to select the Queensland fast bowler Mitchell Johnson ahead of N.Bracken after his brilliant performance in the ICC Champions Trophy in India. Mitchell Johnson is in terrific form with the ball and the stage is set for him to make his debut that too in the Ashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread