English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
International football just doesn't have the passion of club football. That's why I care very little about International football.

Club Football > International Football

I'd prefer to play for Newcastle than England if I had to choice. Followed Newcastle all my life and followed England for one-off friendlies. I know which is more important to me.

I think a lot of people think otherwise. Probably outside England though.

Well they're just gimps then aren't they? Club football is streets ahead of the national game. I've never really dreamed of playing for England or Wales, it's always been about playing for Everton.

Fair enough. But again I did say outside England. I am so certain the Brazilians, Argentines, Italians and even the Russians play with far more passion for their international teams.

I like club football as well, but I definitely look forward to the World Cup and Euros more than the domestic and european club competitions, because of the fact that it comes once in four years (or two years whatever) and the simple fact that only the best players from the clubs from all across the leagues get to play for their national sides. This prevents me from having to watch Michel Salgado getting outrun by other 40 year olds.

I am not saying this just because of Spain won, but Euro 2008 was a class apart. Except a few games, it was brilliant football. Obviously its always good when the best team wins!

93% of people in a survey of English people said Club > Country. I'm the same. I would rather see Norwich promoted than England win the World Cup.

93% of people in a survey of English people said Club > Country. I'm the same. I would rather see Norwich promoted than England win the World Cup.

I think England will win the World Cup in RSA

:p

(Ipswich stand as much chance of promotion as Norwich and I'll be the first to admit that)

Can't really get much better than that team right now, hopefully we can throw Berbatov into the mix for that game. Where's Nani? I'd play him on one of the wings.

I think he was injured for the Newcastle game.
Na, still suspended after the sending off against West Ham last season, the Portsmouth game will be the last.

How long before the Manure fans come in with their "England will never win anything unless Rooney becomes captain"
:rolleyes: Erm, no. Ferdinand should have got it. Matured so much over the last two years, when beforehand a lot of united fans hated him, whereas 99% have had their views changed. Of course, that doesn't get noticed by ABU nation. Lets not have facts get in the way of a good myth.

Club > Country for god knows how many reasons. Firstly, United are probably the furthest away from England fans as possible, our views are summed up by a banner that says "UNITED > ENGLAND". United players get the blame whenever something with England goes wrong. See Neville, Beckham, Rooney, Ronaldo. Thirdly I hate Cole (of the Ashley variety), Gerrard, "JT" (thats a sarcastic JT btw, call him Terry!):rolleyes:, "Lamps" (same as before) etc when they play club football so how can I change that!? Would be something of a hypocrite imo. Fourthly, I can't stand the typical Ingurland fan.

So Terry is captain. Mr Chelsea, Mr England, Mr Penalty...

I thought you were talking about Joey Cole then. You cant hate him, he's class. He's a proper cockerny wideboy but he's the most naturally gifted footballer this side of Tony Hibbert.

Fair enough. But again I did say outside England. I am so certain the Brazilians, Argentines, Italians and even the Russians play with far more passion for their international teams.

I like club football as well, but I definitely look forward to the World Cup and Euros more than the domestic and european club competitions, because of the fact that it comes once in four years (or two years whatever) and the simple fact that only the best players from the clubs from all across the leagues get to play for their national sides. This prevents me from having to watch Michel Salgado getting outrun by other 40 year olds.

I am not saying this just because of Spain won, but Euro 2008 was a class apart. Except a few games, it was brilliant football. Obviously its always good when the best team wins!

I love international football, when it means something. I don't like all of these pointless friendlies! You just can't beat the atmosphere of an International Tournament, like the World Cup or Euros.

MasterBlaster76 added 6 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

Na, still suspended after the sending off against West Ham last season, the Portsmouth game will be the last.

:rolleyes: Erm, no. Ferdinand should have got it. Matured so much over the last two years, when beforehand a lot of united fans hated him, whereas 99% have had their views changed. Of course, that doesn't get noticed by ABU nation. Lets not have facts get in the way of a good myth.

Club > Country for god knows how many reasons. Firstly, United are probably the furthest away from England fans as possible, our views are summed up by a banner that says "UNITED > ENGLAND". United players get the blame whenever something with England goes wrong. See Neville, Beckham, Rooney, Ronaldo. Thirdly I hate Cole (of the Ashley variety), Gerrard, "JT" (thats a sarcastic JT btw, call him Terry!):rolleyes:, "Lamps" (same as before) etc when they play club football so how can I change that!? Would be something of a hypocrite imo. Fourthly, I can't stand the typical Ingurland fan.

So Terry is captain. Mr Chelsea, Mr England, Mr Penalty...

But that's the same everywhere, do you really think that a player who plays for AC Milan wouldn't be loved by Italians everywhere, including Inter Milan fans if he went ahead and scored the winning goal for Italy in a World Cup??

I can't stand Chelsea, but I guarantee you, if a Chelsea player was to score the winning goal for England in a World Cup Final, I'd love him to bits! I tend to drop the club v country thing when it's an international game. After all, when they're playing for England, they're playing for England. The club they play for is completely irrelevant when they're playing for their country.

As for 'Mr Penalty', you're right there, I hope he never takes one for England again.

But that's the same everywhere, do you really think that a player who plays for AC Milan wouldn't be loved by Italians everywhere, including Inter Milan fans if he went ahead and scored the winning goal for Italy in a World Cup??
I'm not really bothered what they'd do, the chances are the match would be fixed anyway!

Just to add another thing, at least with Rio being the one of the best (personally I think he is the best) centre backs in the world at the moment, and so is assured his place in the team unlike braveheart.

Can't imagine how funny other international teams are finding this:p.

Quote from Cabbage man: "The big personality of John was the reason I chose John but Rio is very important to the team." Ah yes, I love that brave, strong, courageous "JT", man with a massive heart, he didnt really blub in Moscow, his strength made tears appear! It doesn't matter that he's done these things in the past:

• Taunted 9/11 victims
  • Parked in disabled spaces
  • spat at fellow footballers
  • Shouted racist abuse at other players
  • Bottled the biggest moment he'll ever get on a football pitch and cried and cried (did someone say brave?)

As well as being the joint most overrated footballer in the world (alongside Lampard of course, btw I've heard Terry has dedicated it to Pat).

Yeah I know I've gone on a rant, but its a joke.

Last edited:
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussies-abroad/gala-coach-lauds-kewell-128296/
Galatasaray coach Michael Skibbe has slammed critics who questioned the Istanbul giants for signing Harry Kewell after a virtuoso performance from the Australian handed the club its first trophy of the season.
In his first competitive appearance for his new club, Kewell scored with his first touch after coming on as a substitute in the Turkish Super Kupa clash with Kayserisport, a traditional season-opener between league champions and cup winner.

Turkish media reports claimed Kewell was 'formidable' and 'heroic' during his game-changing 25-minute cameo where he also set up a match-winning goal for team-mate Shabani Nonda.

Kewell's debut for Galatasaray was so impressive - Galatasaray fans on internet forums described the Socceroo as a 'magician' against Kayserispor - that a bullish Skibbe promptly unloaded both barrels on his critics.

"When we did Kewell's transfer, a number of people criticised us a lot," Skibbe told Turkish reporters. "But in just 25 minutes he showed us what he can do and what he is capable of doing. Those who criticised when we got Kewell should talk now. I'd be curious to hear what they have to say."

Pressure was piled on Skibbe for signing Kewell, a player with a history of injuries, after he was promptly injured during the team's pre-season camp in Germany.

Kewell came a cropper in a training match last month when reserve team player Murat Akca fell on the Australian's knee, straining ligaments, but his Galatasaray debut curbed fears of yet another long-term injury set back.

"Kewell's performance [against Kayserispor] made me happy," a relieved Skibbe said. "He is very experienced and a superior degree of footballer. In the match against Kayserispor, he put his quality forward again. His experience will be a good layer for the team."

Kewell told reporters he wanted to ensure he had been fit before making his debut for his new club, a reason he missed last week's UEFA Champions League match against Steaua Bucharest.

"After being injured to have a start like this, I'm very happy," Kewell said. "I wasn't sure about my physique and condition for the [first] Steaua match, I knew I needed to be completely ready."

Galatasaray midfielder Mehmet Topal, a member of Turkey's Euro 2008 squad, said Kewell had settled in well with his team-mates.

"As a character, what we've seen so far has been very positive," Topal said. "He's a good person. God willing, he'll show us more achievements as well."

The reason this is in English football thread is to see how Liverpool fans will react to this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread