English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh but I think Will's point was that the football was better. Anyway more importantly, how good was Berbatovs skill :D and Ronaldo bumped his value up a few million to where it was.

Don't agree, Phil. Spurs/Arsenal is, IMO, the best local derby in the PL. And basically anything Spurs do is a compliment to Arsenal like their plans for a 60,000 seater stadium. The rivalry is incredibly intense and has been for about a century.

Come on Will, if the rivalry with Spurs is so big, why you do feel the need to hate Chelsea and United?

I'd put these above it in the premiership alone:

United vs Liverpool (biggest game of the year)
Newcastle vs Sunderland
Villa vs Birmingham (when they're up)
Everton vs Liverpool
United vs City

Then Spurs Arsenal. When you say rivalry, I'm guessing you mean "banter" with the fans, a lot more intense rivalry has gone on in the last 100 years between the other games. Arsenal fans are and have always been quite sanitized.

Arsenal vs Spurs is still generally a very good game, mind.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, everyone thinks their local derby is the best one. Which is fair enough, as fans of the teams involved are the best witnesses of the atmosphere and the rivalry and stuff. I don't really care for London derbies because there's so bloody many of them in a single season. There's only 2 teams in Glasgow, there's only 2 teams in Milan, there's only 2 teams in Liverpool (barring Tranmere) and there's only 2 teams in Manchester etc. That's why I don't rate the Gooner/Spuds derby very highly in terms of rivalry.

Come on Will, if the rivalry with Spurs is so big, why you do feel the need to hate Chelsea and United?

The same reason you dislike us or Chelsea.

I don't hate United or Chelsea. I used to because they were title rivals but now there are more team to dislike like Pool, City so I can't be bothered. I hate Spurs. ask any Arsenal fan and he'll tell you same and ask any neutral and they'll tell it's a big rivalry.

In all fairness, you don't live anywhere near London so you wouldn't know what it's like. You don't have to go around stabbing people for it to be a rivalry. Plus, Pool/United isn't even local.

You have to know the history of the clubs to realise why it's a big rivalry. Plus, Spurs fans are pricks.

Plus, Pool/United isn't even local.
Thats kinda the point though, we're not far apart from each other, just down the East Lancs road, but it's the rivalry between Manchester and Liverpool as cities, and as the cream of the crop from those cities, United and Liverpool is the biggest match in the English calendar, their sustained dominance in the 80's taunted us, while now its the other way around.

Basically, United vs Liverpool has cultural, success and general hatred for anything in Liverpool or Manchester respectively. It's not just about local pride.

Aren't Spurs nearer to West Ham than Arsenal?

No, West Ham are in East London. Basically, we moved on to their territory and have been the better team ever since.

I was sure I heard something along those lines, or maybe it's the other way around. Can't remember now, I'm probably wrong.

January TV fixtures announced:

http://www.premierleague.com/page/UKAndIreland/0,,12306,00.html

2 games for United, Chelsea at 4 on a Sunday and Everton on a Monday night. The most shocking one is the Everton on a Monday night, seeing as how they've generally been kept to 12/12.45 since the everton valley incident in 2005. Liverpool vs Everton on a Monday night too, could be tasty, don't buy into all this friendly derby nonsense.

Don't agree, Phil. Spurs/Arsenal is, IMO, the best local derby in the PL. And basically anything Spurs do is a compliment to Arsenal like their plans for a 60,000 seater stadium. The rivalry is incredibly intense and has been for about a century.

I agree. I think the only other really heated rivalry that I have seen in the PL is Villa v Birmingham.

Millwall vs Any other London club- According to Football Factory and Green Street anyway :p
Liverpool vs Everton
Utd vs City

I'd even say Ipswich-Norwich is more heated than Villa-Birmingham.

River-Boca > All though.

I physically don't know how we came away with 3 points from that game.

Phil Jagielka is amazing though. There's only Terry and Ferdinand who are better than him in the Premiership imo.

Yeh, Jags was immense in that game. He really should have been in the England team in place of Upson for those past England games. Was an OK game, bit dull, was good to see us win at Goodison though. Saha's header was superb, he's finally done something for us after showing nothing of worth in his games so far. Happy with the win, good to see us playing better now. Fellaini was superb today as well, he's looking better and better each game, his passing is brilliant. He's only 20 as well, so he's going to be a right gun in a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread