English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're obviously going to beat Chelsea and Pool as well as lose to City, Middlesborough and Wigan.

Hope so :p

Andy Gray is a knob. Criticising the ref for booking the city players when they run out of the wall. Now mr Gray I don't know if you know htis but it's his job to enforce the rules. Unless of course you just want to tear up the rule book and replace it with Andy Grays football where you murder the goalkeeper and pick the ball up and run with it. He used to be a good commentator but now all he ever does is bitch and whine and needs to be sacked asap. I thought the commentators were meant to show respect htis year as well.

Capello's lost my respect. Downing and Mancienne in the England squad, yet Jagielka and Owen miss out. Jags has been one of the best defenders in the league this season, Capello clearly watches no football, and judges players on potential or past talents, or in Downings case, he just ceeb to drop him. How Downing still gets an England squad place is beyond me, he's been crap for Middlesborough this season. Owen's scored goals as well, so deserves a place. Capello's an idiot.

Owen is the most overrated player in footballs history. All he does is score tap-ins, I'd rather have someone who adds to the build-up play of the team than someone who goes missing for 89 minutes of the game.

Capello is a brilliant manager, he picks players on form and ability rather than reputation.

One thing I don't agree with though is the exclusion of Rob Green, he has been outstanding for the past season and a half. Even when Hart is ruled out he brings in Robinson, of all the people.

If Capello picked players on form and ability rather than reputation, then Jagielka would be in the squad, not Mancienne, who's purely in the team because of his so called potential, you'll see Jack Wilshire and that young Barnsley fella in the team in the next year. Robinson wouldn't get in the team either, he's not been good enough, I've seen him have a couple of decent games this year, he was brillliant against Chelsea, but he still doesn't look completely confident. Hart and Green would be far better choices. Downing shouldn't be in the squad either, he's been awful this season, was non existant in the Everton game this afternoon. He's so over-rated, he's only in the team because he's left footed.

Maccienne has come to Wolves and was MOM in his two of his three starts, so you can't say he's not in form.

Ashley Young I think will be picked ahead of Downing. Downing is a decent club player but has never quite performed for England. But seriously who would you pick ahead of him (except for Young who is there already and Joe Cole who is injured)?

Maccienne has come to Wolves and was MOM in his two of his three starts, so you can't say he's not in form.
Three games in the Championship can't count as form enough to face Germany.

Young, Cole, Bullard and Osman tbh. I'd much rather have Osman in the side over Downing. I'm not saying he should be in the squad though, I'd just rather have him in over Downing. Downing's only a squad player also, so he's not really needed, so I'd rather have someone in who's going to be capable of winning a game when they come on, so someone like Bullard would be far better. Then you've got other options with guys like Jenas, Milner, Owen, Jagielka and Warnock, all players I'd much rather have in the squad.

As for Mancienne, you're not honestly trying to tell me you feel he's warranted his place in the England squad do you?

You don't need to score spectatcular goals to be classed as a good striker. Good positioning counts for a lot else you won't get any chances which is why it pisses me off when Adebayor gets slated for missing so many opportunties. Owen has been our best striker in the last 15 years bar maybe Shearer.

Exactly. Look at Anelka this year, he's not scored any amazing goals, just been in the right positions at the right time and has put away his chances. It's something England need, you can't rely on Rooney and Heskey to get the goals tbh, and Walcott's not going to score a hat-trick every game. Get Owen back in, he'll score goals. He's got the chance to become England's leading ever goalscorer, he's got a fantastic record and is back scoring, get him in.

I couldn't care less how many goals Owen scores, he doesn't contribute enough elsewhere. Clearly Mr. Capello thinks the same way. I'd rather have Crouch than Heskey though.

Young, Cole, Bullard and Osman tbh. I'd much rather have Osman in the side over Downing. I'm not saying he should be in the squad though, I'd just rather have him in over Downing. Downing's only a squad player also, so he's not really needed, so I'd rather have someone in who's going to be capable of winning a game when they come on, so someone like Bullard would be far better. Then you've got other options with guys like Jenas, Milner, Owen, Jagielka and Warnock, all players I'd much rather have in the squad.

As for Mancienne, you're not honestly trying to tell me you feel he's warranted his place in the England squad do you?

It's only a friendly, he is just trying things out, like he will be testing players like Davies and Agbonlahor. Something certain previous managers have not done. I was as surprised as anyone when Maccienne got called, I think my exact words when I heard were "you're ****ing kidding me", so I wasn't exactly campaigning for this. Maybe he has warranted a place in the squad but he's worth a punt. I'd rather he didn't play for England, as it will increase the transfer fee we would need to pay for him in the summer, if, fingers crossed, we get to the Premiership.

Jenas - central midfielder
Milner - right midfielder
Owen - striker
Jagielka -central defender/ defensive midfielder
Warnock - left back
Osman - attacking midfielder, could possibly play on the wing

So none of your replacements for Downing, except for maybe Osman, actually play in his position. Nice.

Last edited:
My point was though that they don't need to be like for like replacements as Downing doesn't play anyway, so we should just go for the best squad player we can get, and I'd rather have any of those players in the squad over Downing, especially Bullard, Owen, Jagielka, and Osman. We've already got Cole and Young in the side, so we don't need a mediocre left winger in the squad, he's crap.

My point was though that they don't need to be like for like replacements as Downing doesn't play anyway, so we should just go for the best squad player we can get, and I'd rather have any of those players in the squad over Downing, especially Bullard, Owen, Jagielka, and Osman. We've already got Cole and Young in the side, so we don't need a mediocre left winger in the squad, he's crap.

But Cole is injured, so Downing is in the squad in case something happens to Young.

What about Agbonlahor? Currently the best English striker in the League.

He's already in the squad ;)

I still think you could find someone better to play on the left than Downing tbh. He's been woeful this season, worse than normal. I'd actually rather play Gerrard, Barry or even Rooney on the left in place of Downing. Don't rate him in the slightest. The only reason he still gets in the squad is because he's got a decent left foot =/. He's so over-rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread