English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Liverpool escape punishment over Shields campaign - Premier League, Football - The Independent

How can a football club get away with requesting the release of a convicted attempted murderer on TV?

Protesting is a freedom in any democracy. It should never be impinged, regardless of the case they are protesting for/against.

"Having heard the club's explanation we will not be taking any formal action, and we are satisfied that they understand the sensitivities around football matches being used as a platform for political messages."

Because that never happens, does it?

Kick racism out, anyone?

They had nowt to charge Liverpool on and full well know it.

Kick racism out, anyone?
Thats a quite horrendous comparison, and I'm pretty shocked you are willing to compare a campaign to free someone who a jury has found guilty of attempted murder with equality for people around the world.

Freedom of speech does not exist, and it is impossible. How do you think Mr Georgiev feels, brain damaged at 27, and his family. That was ignored completely, self-pity city indeed. Doesn't help Bulgaria or their judicial system in any way either.

People who are saying it was Sankey may want to educate themselves here:

Innocent, gentle giant? Or remorseless thug guilty of attempted murder? - Telegraph

In short, Sankey looked nothing like any of the descriptions given by eye-witnesses, whilst Shields did. Shields' defence was also based on a large group of witnesses who had seen Shields in bed, most of whom were not booked in his room and gave various reasons (they thought there was a party there or they'd gone to pick up their mobile phone).:rolleyes: Likely story.

----------------------
On to tonight, cracking game, Foster was poor, Anderson was very good, Nani was hot and cold, while Tevez, particularly his last goal, was immense. Oh and Tim Lovejoy is the epitomy of everything wrong with football (tin hat on).

That doesn't make it better though, Manchester > Liverpool. Loads of scouse come to Manchester for shopping etc, nowhere near as many Mancunians in Liverpool.
That's the point. Manchester is like Melbourne, and Liverpool is like Geelong (and I go for Geelong in the AFL, so I might as well go for Liverpool in the EPL).

So Croatia have now become the big test for England? Nice.

m_vaughan added 2 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

I never said that, I was saying that everyone expected them to destroy us and instead, it was the other way round. It shows a lot of progress!

MasterBlaster76 added 3 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

Not sure what point you're making but if it's the one I think, then agreed. In that Wenger seems immune from proper criticism because he plays youth players and doesn't spend too much. There are no awards for that, and it works well in his defence, but the key fact is that they have won one FA Cup in 4 and a half years.

And I know they were playing the youth team last night, but that it could have been important for them to win a trophy. A bit like us in 2006, which really kicked us on to what we have achieved since.

About us, it'd be a bit like Chelsea winning nothing last season.;)

Well, we'll probably win the League Cup now, at the very least. I can't see Liverpool maintaining the pace and Chelski's sudden poor home form will undo them. It will be another good season for Man Utd!

It was going to happen, just a matter of when. I like Keane and all but they had to do it.

He quit.

He was going to get dicked on by united so may as well quit before he gets the blame for that as well.

Thats a quite horrendous comparison, and I'm pretty shocked you are willing to compare a campaign to free someone who a jury has found guilty of attempted murder with equality for people around the world.

Freedom of speech does not exist, and it is impossible. How do you think Mr Georgiev feels, brain damaged at 27, and his family. That was ignored completely, self-pity city indeed. Doesn't help Bulgaria or their judicial system in any way either.

People who are saying it was Sankey may want to educate themselves here:

Innocent, gentle giant? Or remorseless thug guilty of attempted murder? - Telegraph

In short, Sankey looked nothing like any of the descriptions given by eye-witnesses, whilst Shields did. Shields' defence was also based on a large group of witnesses who had seen Shields in bed, most of whom were not booked in his room and gave various reasons (they thought there was a party there or they'd gone to pick up their mobile phone).:rolleyes: Likely story.

I couldn't care less about the case, I wasn't referring to it. Nor does Freedom of Speech have any relevance to this. A right to protest is a basic human right in our democracy. My comparison to Kick Racism Out was that it went against the quote I quoted from the article, I wasn't comparing its morality to the Shield's case.

I'm shocked. I really am. This game is so infuriating. 2 points quite clearly lost here. The game isn't even over yet!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread