English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit I was wrong about City not being Mid-Table come January though, but if you honestly believe they'll continue to struggle come 2 seasons time, maybe even next season
It'll take a while due to the fact that there won't be many great players that will come to a size 17th in the league (cheers Newcastle:)). In a couple of years they could get into 4th spot or so, but that's not a title. Whatever happens, they are a small club.

I don't honestly see the difference between United spending money bringing in the likes of Carrick, Berbatov, Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Der Sar, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Anderson, Nani, to win the league and City doing it.
Jesus wept.

Beckham, G Neville, P Neville, Giggs, Scholes, Butt. All these lads came through the academy and went on to be integral parts of the team for years, and three still are. Thats how our trophies have come, and then through winning those trophies, other players are more attracted to come to Old Trafford (the likes of Rooney or Ronaldo) and they also came because of the fact that United were already a big club through history, whereas City will be forever in our shadow. There is the difference.

Phil your point is valid but again I stress on the statement. If you have the money you are going to spend it on buying better players.

It'll take a while due to the fact that there won't be many great players that will come to a size 17th in the league (cheers Newcastle:)). In a couple of years they could get into 4th spot or so, but that's not a title. Whatever happens, they are a small club.

Robinho's not a great player then?.......................

Man Utd have a great history of creating great players via the academy system, but lets look at the side that won the league last year:

Van Der Sar
Brown
Evra
Ferdinand
Vidic

Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Giggs

Rooney
Tevez

Out of those, 3 have come through the United academy. Ferdinand and Rooney both cost close to ?30million, 8 of the 11 players have been bought in in the past 5 years. The past is the past, the current United side is not brimming with the academy talent that the side of 96-2000 was. United, Chelsea, Liverpool, and even Arsenal all spend alot of money bringing in new talent, and without that money they wouldn't be where they are today.

As I said before, money talks. If it didn't, Beckham wouldn't be playing in the MLS. City have more money than anyone else in the world, they can chuck any amount of money needed at any player they want, with a good chance of getting them. They've already managed to buy Robinho, and that was within 1 day of getting that money. If you honestly believe it'll take them a couple of years to be challenging for 4th spot then you'll be in for a shock.

As I said before, I'm no City fan, I don't even like them, United are my 2nd team, so I want City to fail as much as you, possibly more so, because it will mean that Everton miss out on a Uefa Cup place, they'll have no chance of getting 5th with City spending hundreds of million each year. I'd say next season Man City will be challenging the Top 4. I can see them bringing in a heck of alot of talent in both the January and Summer transfer windows. They'll be a far better side than the one Hughes has got atm.

Chelsea weren't title contenders before their buy out by Roman Abramovich. Granted they were in the Champions League, but they weren't getting anywhere near Man U and Arsenal. Then Roman comes in, spends hundreds of millions of pounds and they win the league 2 years running.

Also, you claim that you want to see success earned, yet all the top 3 sides bar Arsenal spend ridiculous amounts of money each year bringing in players. Liverpool spent millions bringing in Torres last year, United brought in Berbatov, every club in the top 4 has spent a hell of alot of money. I don't honestly see the difference between United spending money bringing in the likes of Carrick, Berbatov, Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Der Sar, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Anderson, Nani, to win the league and City doing it. Success is brought by money, that's why the likes of Villa and Everton can't compete with the top 4, we've not got the money. Money runs football nowadays, you can contest it as much as you like, but there's no difference between City and United, United wouldn't have won the league last year without all the money they've been spending in the last 5 years.

How long have you been watching football? Have you forgotten about the year we bought through almost an entire squad of young players, who went on to form the backbone of the team for many years and quite a few are still with us?

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

Man Utd have a great history of creating great players via the academy system, but lets look at the side that won the league last year:

Van Der Sar
Brown
Evra
Ferdinand
Vidic

Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Giggs

Rooney
Tevez

Out of those, 3 have come through the United academy. Ferdinand and Rooney both cost close to £30million, 8 of the 11 players have been bought in in the past 5 years. The past is the past, the current United side is not brimming with the academy talent that the side of 96-2000 was. United, Chelsea, Liverpool, and even Arsenal all spend alot of money bringing in new talent, and without that money they wouldn't be where they are today.

As I said before, money talks. If it didn't, Beckham wouldn't be playing in the MLS. City have more money than anyone else in the world, they can chuck any amount of money needed at any player they want, with a good chance of getting them. They've already managed to buy Robinho, and that was within 1 day of getting that money. If you honestly believe it'll take them a couple of years to be challenging for 4th spot then you'll be in for a shock.

As I said before, I'm no City fan, I don't even like them, United are my 2nd team, so I want City to fail as much as you, possibly more so, because it will mean that Everton miss out on a Uefa Cup place, they'll have no chance of getting 5th with City spending hundreds of million each year. I'd say next season Man City will be challenging the Top 4. I can see them bringing in a heck of alot of talent in both the January and Summer transfer windows. They'll be a far better side than the one Hughes has got atm.

I still reckon Robinho thought he was signing for Man Utd!!!! Listen to most Europeans talking about 'Manchester'. Not 'Manchester Utd' or 'Manchester City', just 'Manchester'! Before this takeover, most people outside the UK thought there was only one club in Manchester!

And yes, they will bring in the whole world come January. But, as history has shown, bringing in a whole load of new players right bang in the middle of the season can cause more harm than good.

Van Der Sar
Brown
Evra
Ferdinand
Vidic

Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Giggs

Rooney
Tevez

Out of those, 3 have come through the United academy. Ferdinand and Rooney both cost close to £30million, 8 of the 11 players have been bought in in the past 5 years. The past is the past, the current United side is not brimming with the academy talent that the side of 96-2000 was. United, Chelsea, Liverpool, and even Arsenal all spend alot of money bringing in new talent, and without that money they wouldn't be where they are today.
Listen to what I said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The fact that we had that talent that came through, meant we won trophies, which meant other players were interested!

And I said not many great players, Robinho is one of those that fits in the exception.

As for Beckham, of course money was important, but I think even more important was his missus and her getting him more into the spotlight and going to a place where there was no better way to live up to the celebrity status.

MasterBlaster76 said:
Listen to most Europeans talking about 'Manchester'. Not 'Manchester Utd' or 'Manchester City', just 'Manchester'! Before this takeover, most people outside the UK thought there was only one club in Manchester!

That is not true. People who watch football know about Manchester City.

Listen to most Europeans talking about 'Manchester'. Not 'Manchester Utd' or 'Manchester City'
I'm my experience not true. I've even had a German say to me the Bayern Munich/1860 Munich thing is like the United/City thing - 1860 having the cult following. I was wearing an 1860 shirt at the time mind ;)

How long have you been watching football? Have you forgotten about the year we bought through almost an entire squad of young players, who went on to form the backbone of the team for many years and quite a few are still with us?

Erm, I mentioned that, try reading the next post, I mentioned the 1996-2000 era.

There'll be quite a few exceptions come next summer then Phil (Y). I don't know who they'll buy, but the one really strong rumour is Kaka. If they could tempt him across, they'll start attracting some real good talent, players just wanting to play alongside Kaka and Robinho.

A few years back foreign talent were bothered about the clubs they signed for, but now it's purely money. If Man City offer a player more money than Man Utd, they'll go to City, foreign players aren't bothered about the 1996 youngsters who won the league. If it was trophies that attracted foreign players, would Spurs have the team they've got?

Coming back to the league. I think Chelsea's home form is turning out to be pretty average this season. West Ham were lucky today, but still.

If Man City offer a player more money than Man Utd, they'll go to City, foreign players aren't bothered about the 1996 youngsters who won the league.
But the players we brought in who came because of those trophies, then bring more trophies, and so the cycle continues.

See Berbatov.

Tom, if that's the scoreline, I'll suck Joe Kinnear's big toe.

That is not true. People who watch football know about Manchester City.

Then why does every foreigner I've ever heard talk about Man Utd - unless they've been in the English game for a while - call them 'Manchester'?

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

But the players we brought in who came because of those trophies, then bring more trophies, and so the cycle continues.

See Berbatov.

Exactly, he had a chance to go to City, didn't he? But as the song goes:

Dimatar Berbatov.
Took one look at City and said F off.

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Coming back to the league. I think Chelsea's home form is turning out to be pretty average this season. West Ham were lucky today, but still.

I still think Chelsea's home form could eventually cost them the league.

A bit off topic, but did anyone see the Sports Personality of the Year awards tonight? It made me laugh when Sir Bobby was gettig his special achievment award and he was surrounded by a load of legends and then for some reason Phil Neville was there as well. Legend. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread