English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the Liverpool/Spurs game with a mate today and was shocked by how poor Liverpool were going forward.
I reckon they'll miss Xabi Alonso big time. Spurs looked good but their left back who scored the first goal has zero positional sense.

Haha, Liverpool. I thought United looked vulnerable/shaky in their opening match! Glad they lost. The 'Spurs actually have a decent side on paper, a lot to like about their midfield and their attacking options are very good. They won't break into the top four but I like the Spurs so hope they do well.

I watched the Liverpool/Spurs game with a mate today and was shocked by how poor Liverpool were going forward.
I reckon they'll miss Xabi Alonso big time. Spurs looked good but their left back who scored the first goal has zero positional sense.

That's why I pointed out that Alonso would be a bigger miss to Liverpool than some people thought. He was the player that linked it all together for them. His range of passing alone was superb.

That's why I pointed out that Alonso would be a bigger miss to Liverpool than some people thought.

You and a whole host of others who know anything about the game. It's not like it was a great mystery that Liverpool would struggle without Alonso.

You and a whole host of others who know anything about the game. It's not like it was a great mystery that Liverpool would struggle without Alonso.

I said that because several Liverpool fans who are friends of mine (yes) were going on about Ronaldo constantly and didn't think Alonso would be much of a miss. Anyway, you've been a bit sullen towards me these past couple of days - I know your team lost, but it's not necessary to take it out on me. :)

Hell we've got to take it out on someone. Personally I blame Mark Hughes (and also would have sold for ?18m...)

Are you an Everton fan as well; I didn't know.

As for the Lescott situation, it's clear the guy wants to go and as we all know, an unhappy player just causes trouble in the dressing room. City are dumb enough to offer ?18m for him? Snap their ruddy hand off! Or maybe see if you can push it to a nice, round ?20m...

@WillNA: Duncan Edwards was touted as the best player in the world:

Duncan Edwards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not my words that they would've been recognised as the best team in the world, it's the words of those around at the time.

I know that but labelling them as capable of being the 'best team the world has ever seen' is up there with claiming Owen is back to his best after a couple of goals against some unknown Asian team and saying Valencia reminds you of Ronaldo when it comes to jumping the gun.

I know that but labelling them as capable of being the 'best team the world has ever seen' is up there with claiming Owen is back to his best after a couple of goals against some unknown Asian team and saying Valencia reminds you of Ronaldo when it comes to jumping the gun.

Firstly, I never said that Owen is back to his best, I said he was looking very sharp, which he was. Quite a few of those goals he scored were great finishes - if the finish is great, it makes not a jot of difference who the opposition are. He looked sharp today as well - forget about the one on one. We've all seen countless numbers of them, sometimes they go in, sometimes the keeper makes a great save. I've seen Ronaldo do that, Giggs, Shearer and countless others - so if Owen did it, it doesn't make him a bad player. More accurately, you are hoping that he fails at Utd, because if we can get Rooney/Owen firing, then it'll be great for not only England, but Utd as well and there were a lot of good signs for that partnership. I want to see them start the next game - Berba did OK, but Rooney/Owen needs to be given 90 minutes as soon as possible.

Owen also had a second chance that was rightly ruled offside, but the way he finished that was beautiful. Owen and Valencia will both be successes at Utd, I am fully confident of that. You cannot replace Ronaldo, so there's no point even trying, (unless you sign Messi I suppose; that'd be the closest you'd come), but Valencia is a very good player in his own right. I always thought he looked very dangerous against us when he was with Wigan.

Secondly, when did I ever say that Valencia reminds me of Ronaldo? I said that goal reminded me of Ronaldo; it was very much like goals that Ronaldo had scored. Thirdly, as I said before, it's not just me saying that Utd team would've proved to have been the best, or at the very least one of the best teams the world has seen, it's people who were around the team at the time (didn't you read the latter part of the post?)

Seriously, comparing my thoughts about Owen/Valencia (about which you were barking up the wrong tree anyway) with the quality of the United team that died at Munich is just daft.

I suspect the latter may be Moyes' tactic and yes, I too am a toffee (can you not tell from the poll? :p)

Haven't looked at that for ages...

Edit: I get it. But this was Evertonfan's thread, so surely he posted that poll? Or did you do that? :D

Last edited:
Wow, were we dire or were we dire? Masch and Lucas were terrible with the ball and Gerrard had to track back way to far, leaving Torres alone with Babel and Kuyt almost refusing to go forward it seemed.

Your a scouser fan as well?

Well I still think we would have enough for one quality signing whether its Villa or someone else but signing 2-3 would be too much especially the prices some of the top players in the world are going for right now.

Johnson was a quality signing but with Aquilani I'm not so sure why would you spend 20m on a injured player and I dont think his anywhere near worth 20m.

I'm a Liverpool fan yes, but I'm primarily a Bristol City fan because that's where I was born. I supported Liverpool when I was young because they were a team I could see on telly and were well known, and they've stuck as a team I support and watch.

I've not really seen Aquiliani play, so I have no idea how good he is. All I will say is he better be good for a few reasons. One: We've spent ?20mil on him, Two: Because he's injured, and Three: We need all the quality we can get. If yesterday's game is anything to go by then Liverpool could well be looking at 4th or 5th in the table come the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread