English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Babel's gone backwards. Benayoun and Rieira are far better options now. He showed so much promise a few years ago like Diaby and it's frustrating when they put in such below-par performances.

Babel's gone backwards. Benayoun and Rieira are far better options now. He showed so much promise a few years ago like Diaby and it's frustrating when they put in such below-par performances.

I agree. Babel showed a lot of promise, but he's yet to step up to the plate as it were. I think Liverpool need to buy someone more than we do - their bench especially looks weak.

Last edited:
I'm a Liverpool fan yes, but I'm primarily a Bristol City fan because that's where I was born. I supported Liverpool when I was young because they were a team I could see on telly and were well known, and they've stuck as a team I support and watch.

I've not really seen Aquiliani play, so I have no idea how good he is. All I will say is he better be good for a few reasons. One: We've spent ?20mil on him, Two: Because he's injured, and Three: We need all the quality we can get. If yesterday's game is anything to go by then Liverpool could well be looking at 4th or 5th in the table come the end of the season.
It was the first match, man, relax.

You'll be right.

It was the first match, man, relax.

You'll be right.

I know it's only the first match, but the lack of quality beyond the starting line-up worries me. I really don't see how Liverpool can challenge for the title with the squad they have. It's going to be even tougher to keep those starting eleven fit for the majority of the season. Liverpool will have to be real lucky with injuries this season, me thinks.

I think after a few games we will know how Liverpool are doing overall. I mean yesterday was only first game of the season. Chelsea could of easily drawn and same with Utd.

I think its fair to say Liverpool had the toughest game of the three. Arsenal too had a tough one themselves and look how they came out of it.

Arsenal's challenge won't be the start of the season though, as generally they're pretty good starters. Given their fairly weak back-up I'd say that the middle of the season will be the biggest challenge for them, as I'd be amazed if they manage to go the whole season without a series of injuries to their most important players. I'd be amazed if they managed to win the league with their squad, never know though, as the great Jimmy Greaves said in the style of a jingle....'it's a funny old game'.

Arsenal's challenge won't be the start of the season though, as generally they're pretty good starters. Given their fairly weak back-up I'd say that the middle of the season will be the biggest challenge for them, as I'd be amazed if they manage to go the whole season without a series of injuries to their most important players. I'd be amazed if they managed to win the league with their squad, never know though, as the great Jimmy Greaves said in the style of a jingle....'it's a funny old game'.

We lost Djourou, Fabianski, Nasri, Rosicky, Walcott and Diaby before the season even began. When you get past Gallas or Vermaelen, we have Silvestre and Djourou and a CM/CB in Song. That's incredibly poor. We need one more body. If we're lucky with injuries (!), we will mount a challenge. We have a far better squad than Liverpool.

None of those players, bar Nasri are really big players for Arsenal. Losing Fabregas, Gallas and Van Persie would really leave you with a struggle on your hands I reckon, although I suppose you could argue that if most sides lost their 3 best players they'd struggle. I'm looking forward to seeing how Arsenal go, if Wenger pulls off a Premier League title win with this squad it'll be more remarkable than Fergie's effort in 96 I think.

Maybe they aren't that important but they are our back-up. Against Everton, we had a bench that looked like this:

Mannone, Silvestre, Eboue, Merida, Ramsey, Eduardo, Gibbs

Add the injured players and you get:

Fabianski, Silvestre, Diaby, Walcott, Rosicky, Nasri and Diaby/Eboue.

That's decent squad depth in all areas apart from the centre of defence. We are incredbly weak there and I will be amazed if Wenger doesn't do anything to strengthen it. I'm not expecting anything yet because it's Feb/March that trips us up but our league run is brilliant after that because we don't face any of the top four.

I know it's only the first match, but the lack of quality beyond the starting line-up worries me. I really don't see how Liverpool can challenge for the title with the squad they have. It's going to be even tougher to keep those starting eleven fit for the majority of the season. Liverpool will have to be real lucky with injuries this season, me thinks.

We need a big summer on the transfer market tbh because our lack of quality even on the bench is alarming. Skrtel was not a well man but we delayed taking him off for as long as possible because of having no quality on the bench which could challenge the likes of Defoe and Keane when they were looking good. (Keane wasn't finishing well but he created chances.)

We need a big summer on the transfer market tbh because our lack of quality even on the bench is alarming. Skrtel was not a well man but we delayed taking him off for as long as possible because of having no quality on the bench which could challenge the likes of Defoe and Keane when they were looking good. (Keane wasn't finishing well but he created chances.)

I completely agree. The loss of Hyppia is a big one in my eyes. He is always reliable and could always come on and do a fantastic job at the back as well as look threatening from corners. Need to have Agger back fit and have another strong centre back brought in as back-up.

There's a rumour going around that a PL manager has lost his job. If it's true, I'm thinking Rafa, Hart or Zola. Watch this space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread