English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a nightmare watching that Spurs vs Chelsea game! I just could not believe the entire team went anonymous throughout the entire match and we don't even like scoring apart from that Lampard's late goal. When I saw the starting lineup, I was reasonable happy because playing both Anelka and Drogba just doesn't seem to work but what happened after that was just pathetic! Defended too deep, Ferreira being exposed by Bale countless of times and we got punished from one of the corners. Perhaps Ancelotti should have played Ivanovic from the start. At least he is more solid than Ferreira. In short, it was a horrible day coupled with the fact that Man Utd scored a late winner in the derby game. :mad:

Having said all of that, I cannot believe how many chances Spurs wasted in the second half. They could have won the game 6-1, 7-1 or maybe even more! But fortunately, it remained at 2-1. XD And I guess the only positive thing that I can think off now is that Spurs still have to play Man Utd next week which may be interesting in some ways. Despite we still have to travel to Anfield in 2 weeks time, we have a 100% record against the Big Four this season. So, that is something small to cheer about heading into that match I guess. Finally, we still have one point lead over Man Utd but not good enough. :mad:

AND we definitely cannot afford to drop anymore points! :mad:

Yessssss!!! Chelsea lose and now just one point gap. Liverpool will do us the job by beating them at Anfield. Great day for all United fans. :happy :happy

Yes - Liverpool will hand us the title. :laugh :laugh :laugh:p

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

And I guess the only positive thing that I can think off now is that Spurs still have to play Man Utd next week which may be interesting in some ways.

AND we definitely cannot afford to drop anymore points! :mad:

Edit: @shantanu - Liverpool don't even need to beat them - a draw will do the job. I reckon if we win our remaining games, we'll win the League, but this is going to damage Chelsea - especially when you consider that they should've lost against Bolton at Stamford Bridge.

@Psychic - True, but it's at Old Trafford, not White Hart Lane.

Anyway, speaking of Chelski, what's Malouda on? He reckons his change of hairstyle turned Chelski's season around - what an idiot.

That was a great day for all Utd fans, both joke Sugar Daddy clubs lost!

Edit:

Well, well, well, Mr Lee1981 - so the gap could be seven points eh? Try one point! And by all accounts, you should've been murdered at Spurs. Game on again - we have Spurs next week, but it's at Old Trafford (thank God!).

And Chelski have still got to go to Liverpool. And Terry's out for a game thanks to two yellows. What a fantastic, excellent day. :happy :happy :banana2 :banana2

Last edited:
Can't trust those Chelsea scum to do anything for you. Liverpool really needed Tottenham to lose, and Chelsea to win to help them on there way to the title.

mattfb added 0 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Please lose, Chelsea. Please, please, please. Especially as you're due a ton of bad decisions against you - at least three absolute stinkers in the games against us and two penalties that Bolton should've had the other day against you. Also, it would be funny if City failed to finish in the top four after all the money they've spent - excuse me - after all the money their Sugar Daddy has spent.

I'm a Liverpool fan. I hate Chelsea but it would of been great for Liverpool if they won.

@Psychic - True, but it's at Old Trafford, not White Hart Lane.

Man Utd may have the Home advantage but seeing how this season has turned out, would not be surprising if Spurs pull off a shock result. After all, Villa did that in December.

Chelsea are going to be all sorts of trouble when they face Stoke next week. 1)United will be beating Spurs on Saturday and we will be on the top of the Premier League. 2)Chelski will be without JT and Carvalho is injured. So its going to be very hard for Chelsea to defend against Stoke who have scored good amount of goals from a set piece.

Arsenal have overachieved this season, so this defeat brings this backk to respective i'd say.

Wenger needs to spend big int he summer, Fabreagas & RVP will stay on for another season, but if the gunners win nothing next season they will be gone i'd say.

Potential buys i'd suggest the gunners purchase would be:

- A solid keeper. Joe Hart would be my choice since it would be good chance for Arsenal to get some more English players in the team. Plus i dont see any major keepers worldwide wanting to play for Arsenal anyway.

- A solid defender & defensive-midfielder: Hangeland & Felipe Melo are the names that have been up in the air for a while now for these positions.

Sell one of Almunia or Fabianski, they wouldn't need both if they where to buy Hart. While all of Rosicky, Diaby, Eduardo, Vela, Silvestre, Senderos should definately go - cant see any use for them anymore (although Silvestre COULD stay if Wenger doesn't keep Campbell).

Potential Best Gunners XI next season if Wenger makes the purchases would be:

--------------------------------Hart--------------------------------------

Sagna-------------------Vermalen-------Gallas/Hangeland-------------Gibbs

-------------------------Felipe Melo-----Song/Nasri------------------------

Walcott/Bendtner-------------Fabregas----------------------------Arshavin

-------------------------------RVP----------------------------------------

Such a team should be able to challenge for the Premiership next season without a doubt.

Last edited:
Arsenal have overachieved this season, so this defeat brings this backk to respective i'd say.

Wenger needs to spend big int he summer, Fabreagas & RVP will stay on for another season, but if the gunners win nothing next season they will be gone i'd say.

Potential buys i'd suggest the gunners purchase would be:

- A solid keeper. Joe Hart would be my choice since it would be good chance for Arsenal to get some more English players in the team. Plus i dont see any major keepers worldwide wanting to play for Arsenal anyway.

- A solid defender & defensive-midfielder: Hangeland & Felipe Melo are the names that have been up in the air for a while now for these positions.

Sell one of Almunia or Fabianski, they wouldn't need both if they where to buy Hart. While all of Rosicky, Diaby, Eduardo, Vela, Silvestre, Senderos should definately go - cant see any use for them anymore (although Silvestre COULD stay if Wenger doesn't keep Campbell).

Potential Best Gunners XI next season if Wenger makes the purchases would be:

--------------------------------Hart--------------------------------------

Sagna-------------------Vermalen-------Gallas/Hangeland-------------Gibbs

-------------------------Felipe Melo-----Song/Nasri------------------------

Walcott/Bendtner-------------Fabregas----------------------------Arshavin

-------------------------------RVP----------------------------------------

Such a team should be able to challenge for the Premiership next season without a doubt.
They're sorted in the Defensive Midfielder area with Song.

Not sure why you'd buy Melo if you wanted another one though, he's always looked uncomfortable in that role, plays better further up the pitch.

Chelsea are going to be all sorts of trouble when they face Stoke next week. 1)United will be beating Spurs on Saturday and we will be on the top of the Premier League. 2)Chelski will be without JT and Carvalho is injured. So its going to be very hard for Chelsea to defend against Stoke who have scored good amount of goals from a set piece.

:happy Carvalho's out as well? :happy

I think the balance has once again tipped in our favour - yesterday's result will hurt Chelski mentally - Carlo's already going on about not pressing the panic button. Translation: he's panicking big time. This is Sir Alex's territory - he knows how to win the Premiership from this position.

It'll be so funny if Chelski's inquiries about an open top bus for a parade turn out to be a complete waste of time. Never mind, they could always give it to us...

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

Man Utd may have the Home advantage but seeing how this season has turned out, would not be surprising if Spurs pull off a shock result. After all, Villa did that in December.

I can't remember the last time Spurs got anything at Old Trafford. Besides that, Utd are defending better than Chelski at the moment.

They're sorted in the Defensive Midfielder area with Song.

Not sure why you'd buy Melo if you wanted another one though, he's always looked uncomfortable in that role, plays better further up the pitch.

Song is a ok defensive midfielder has imporved alot this season. But i'm not sure if he is good enough (especially againts big teams) to deployed as the lone DM in such games, like other premiership DMs like Essein, Mascherano, Hargreaves, Fletcher, De Jong, Barry. Melo would be a more commanding presence i reckon.

Plus i personally in the few times i have never seen Melo, most recent vs Inter Milan a few days go. I have never seen him look uncomfortable as a DM. Even so other options around Europe for that role could be Toulalan, M Sissoko, M Diarra or Keita -but of course not sure if any one of them would want to play for the gunners though.

Unless Carvalho manage to play this weekend, Ivanovic will probably play in defence with Alex with Ferreira at Right Back which might be a concern again! And do not be too confident about beating Spurs this weekend despite what happened in this particular match in previous seasons.

By the way, what a stunning comeback by Wigan against the Gooners yesterday. :laugh

Last edited:
Unless Carvalho manage to play this weekend, Ivanovic will probably play in defence with Alex with Ferreira at Right Back which might be a concern again! And do not be too confident about beating Spurs this weekend despite what happened in this particular match in previous seasons.

Yeah last year we were 2-0 down at half time but we won 5-2 so that match showed our character but this one will be much easier than that one. I cant see Spurs taking anything away from the game.

Torres out for the rest of the season thats a huge blow for Liverpool and to some extend Man Utd. Hopefully Gerrard shows his quality as he due a brilliant performance this season, could it be against Chelsea?? Hopefully...

Personally I still think Chelsea will win the title and then win the double. The Tottenham defeat has made the remainder of the season interesting though.

Yeah last year we were 2-0 down at half time but we won 5-2 so that match showed our character but this one will be much easier than that one. I cant see Spurs taking anything away from the game.

Torres out for the rest of the season thats a huge blow for Liverpool and to some extend Man Utd. Hopefully Gerrard shows his quality as he due a brilliant performance this season, could it be against Chelsea?? Hopefully...

I'm not too sure about that. As for the match against Liverpool, maybe Rafa will play a second string side to prevent Man Utd from overtaking them in terms of the number of titles won? :laugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread