English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Song is a ok defensive midfielder has imporved alot this season. But i'm not sure if he is good enough (especially againts big teams) to deployed as the lone DM in such games, like other premiership DMs like Essein, Mascherano, Hargreaves, Fletcher, De Jong, Barry. Melo would be a more commanding presence i reckon.

Plus i personally in the few times i have never seen Melo, most recent vs Inter Milan a few days go. I have never seen him look uncomfortable as a DM. Even so other options around Europe for that role could be Toulalan, M Sissoko, M Diarra or Keita -but of course not sure if any one of them would want to play for the gunners though.
I think Song's good enough and will improve as well.

Generally in the big games for Arsenal, the midfield hasn't been the main issue, it's been silly mistakes in defence or by the goalkeeper.

Those would be the pressing concerns for me if I was Wenger.

Woop, the title is ours :happy Superb season, we deserved this so much after all the problems of last season and hopefully we can build on this for next season.

Good luck to Plymouth next season, really am touched by how magnaminous they have been considering we just relegated them so hope they bounce back next season

Last edited:
Unless Carvalho manage to play this weekend, Ivanovic will probably play in defence with Alex with Ferreira at Right Back which might be a concern again! And do not be too confident about beating Spurs this weekend despite what happened in this particular match in previous seasons.

By the way, what a stunning comeback by Wigan against the Gooners yesterday. :laugh

Yeah last year we were 2-0 down at half time but we won 5-2 so that match showed our character but this one will be much easier than that one. I cant see Spurs taking anything away from the game.

Torres out for the rest of the season thats a huge blow for Liverpool and to some extend Man Utd. Hopefully Gerrard shows his quality as he due a brilliant performance this season, could it be against Chelsea?? Hopefully...

I agree - generally speaking, when Utd have to win at this time in the Premiership, we do.

Personally I still think Chelsea will win the title and then win the double. The Tottenham defeat has made the remainder of the season interesting though.

I don't - I think Chelski will be badly damaged by that result - and that's not just because I'm a Utd fan. Ancelotti's already going on about 'not panicking' - which means he is. Big time.

I agree - generally speaking, when Utd have to win at this time in the Premiership, we do.

I don't - I think Chelski will be badly damaged by that result - and that's not just because I'm a Utd fan. Ancelotti's already going on about 'not panicking' - which means he is. Big time.

It remains to be seen. :)

I think Song's good enough and will improve as well.

Generally in the big games for Arsenal, the midfield hasn't been the main issue, it's been silly mistakes in defence or by the goalkeeper.

Those would be the pressing concerns for me if I was Wenger.

I remember the games this season the gunners played againts United & Chelsea & Song went missing to me. Not convinced personally that Song can play as the lone defensive mid-fielder to be dead honest, really think Arsenal should get another DM to partner with him.

Another problem with the gunners i'd suggest also. Is that they generally have to play B. Its always sexy football, they dont have the ability to adapt into defensive style when the situation demands it. For eg the CL game vs Barcelona.

War added 14 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

England boss Fabio Capello is ready to gamble on Tottneham star Ledley King at the World Cup - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Haa i have been following these rumours in all the local newspapers for the last 6-8 months & i got to say its come to a point where one has to believe Capello really wants to take King to the WC.

Who can blame him, buts its hard to see the logic behind taking him at this stage. Even if Capello wants to have in the squad for the "scenario" in which in a potential WC quarter or semi-final that one of Terry or Ferdinand gets injured. If King plays he wont be able to recover for the next game (presuming he is needed to play again if one of JT or Rio doesn't recover in this hypotetical scenario). Since in the premiership this season, when King plays one weekend - he misses the next weekend (7 days) - which is too too long for the WC since games will be played within a 3-5 days of each other.

Super result, super performance today against Spurs, without Rooney (he picked up a groin injury earlier in the week), which gives the lie to the idea that we can't beat good teams without him. Spurs were comprehensively outplayed, our goal difference is now only one behind Chelski's and we're two points clear having played a game more. Over to you, Blue boys.

Edit: Result was 3-1.

Common blues!

Yes, they're certainly common. (Lampard, Terry, Cole, they're like a bunch of alleycats - need I say more)?

Chelski have just scored a goal that was a carbon copy of when Giggs 'scored' in the FA Cup Final against them a few years back. Only difference? Chelski's was allowed. :sarcasm Oh yes - Giggs didn't break the keeper's elbow either.

MasterBlaster76 added 16 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

I see the officials are still trying to ensure Chelski win the league. Their second goal should've been disallowed and the player booked - Stoke's keeper is now off to hospital with a suspected broken elbow and Chelski's 'penalty' was outside the box. Add to that the two penalties that Chelski should've conceded against Bolton, the one they should've conceded to us at Old Trafford and the ridiculously bad offside non-decision for Drogba's goal and you have to say they're doing a very good job of it!

Yes, they're certainly common. (Lampard, Terry, Cole, they're like a bunch of alleycats - need I say more)?

Chelski have just scored a goal that was a carbon copy of when Giggs 'scored' in the FA Cup Final against them a few years back. Only difference? Chelski's was allowed. :sarcasm Oh yes - Giggs didn't break the keeper's elbow either.

MasterBlaster76 added 16 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

I see the officials are still trying to ensure Chelski win the league. Their second goal should've been disallowed and the player booked - Stoke's keeper is now off to hospital with a suspected broken elbow and Chelski's 'penalty' was outside the box. Add to that the two penalties that Chelski should've conceded against Bolton, the one they should've conceded to us at Old Trafford and the ridiculously bad offside non-decision for Drogba's goal and you have to say they're doing a very good job of it!

First of all, the second goal was fine. Kalou was going for the ball and he has no intention of hurting Sorensen and this things happen in football. It's hard to avoid when it happens. And secondly, stop complaining about refereeing decisions going Chelsea's way in that Bolton game or any other game for that matter. It's not like Man Utd did not get those favorable decisions from referees in previous seasons during key moments in matches and lets face it, every team needs some sort of luck along the way to win leagues and cup competitions. So, stop complaining.

Yes, but to get four bad ones against your key rival takes the biscuit and cannot 'even itself out over the season'.

Edit: If that goal was fine, then chalk up an extra FA Cup win for Utd and take one off Chelski. :)

Yes, but to get four bad ones against your key rival takes the biscuit and cannot 'even itself out over the season'.

Edit: If that goal was fine, then chalk up an extra FA Cup win for Utd and take one off Chelski. :)

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that :p

About to watch MotD2, will post my opinions once they show the goal in a few mins.

treva added 5 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

I think it's made to look worse by Sorensen's broken arm/elbow/shoulder. He had every right to go for that.

Great goal by Lampard. Sadly I can't see us overtaking Liverpool for 7th (and the final Europa League spot).
That said I think they might qualify automatically if they win it.
Would be a strange couple of games for them. United fans supporting them against Chelsea and then Everton fans supporting them in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread