English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get Ledley King in the England squad.

Surely you must be joking? You can't take someone who can only play 1 game a fortnight and who doesn't train with the rest of the squad to a major international tournament.

Yes, but to get four bad ones against your key rival takes the biscuit and cannot 'even itself out over the season'.

Edit: If that goal was fine, then chalk up an extra FA Cup win for Utd and take one off Chelski. :)

Don't tell me Man Utd did not get those kind or similar decisions in previous season throughout the 38 games? As for the FA Cup Final, didn't the Giggs goal came after Chelsea scored? And anyway, if you want to put it that way, then I think someone should remove from 1 Champions League final appearance and the trophy from Barcelona because Chelsea clearly should have gone to Champions League Final last season if... (you should know what happened back then)

Surely you must be joking? You can't take someone who can only play 1 game a fortnight and who doesn't train with the rest of the squad to a major international tournament.

I don't care that he is never fit, because even if there is a chance he would stay un-injured for the two weeks I'd have him there. Personally, I rate him in the top two or three defenders in England. I want the best players at the World Cup, and if he is able to get on that plane and play then it's worth the risk.

Don't tell me Man Utd did not get those kind or similar decisions in previous season throughout the 38 games? As for the FA Cup Final, didn't the Giggs goal came after Chelsea scored? And anyway, if you want to put it that way, then I think someone should remove from 1 Champions League final appearance and the trophy from Barcelona because Chelsea clearly should have gone to Champions League Final last season if... (you should know what happened back then)

Yes, you're right - Chelski were royally screwed by the referee in that game, so chalk another CL Final appearance up for Chelski and another CL Final win for Man Utd! :p

And no, Utd didn't get bad decisions against Liverpool that directly cost them the title (Liverpool did the double over us, remember?) This time round, four awful decisions across the two games against Chelski could cost us the title.

If Liverpool had won last year, I would've said 'well played, you beat us fair and square.' If Chelski win it this year, it'll be down to those four decisions. And that's not taking into account the other decisions that have gone Chelski's way this year. If you look back over the season, they have had far more go their way then Utd have (not least those ones that happened against Utd).

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

I have to agree - his fitness is just not consistent enough, which is a great shame. So, who would you bring? What about Campbell - he has vast International experience and is still a decent defender? Plus, he has a habit of popping up for goals (that are usually disallowed for no good reason - goals vs Portugal and Argentina spring to mind), but maybe this time he'll get one that's allowed to stand?

Just to add to the King debate. I'm a bit on the fence with this one. But alot of prominent sports journalism have been calling for him to be picked in Phil McNulty, Mark Lawrenson & Lee Dixon - plus even Tottenham coach Redknapp.

The thing is for me is following his injury record very closely this season. If King plays one saturday he can't the next weekend. But the thing is King wont be a first team player - obviously Terry/Ferdinand (once fit) will start every game. So if the idea is to have King in the squad just in case one of Rio & JT get injured for a hypotetical WC quarter or semi-final - i say take him.

England will take another defender or two also in Upson & Dawson or Campbell. Who will be the immediate back-up for JT & Rio. King will just be around waiting to potentially play in that hypotetical scenario.

If I was England manager I'd put him ahead of Rio, but let's not get into a debate about that. I just rate King very highly and think he adds more to the squad than anybody else, even worth the risk of him being injured.

Yes, you're right - Chelski were royally screwed by the referee in that game, so chalk another CL Final appearance up for Chelski and another CL Final win for Man Utd! :p

And no, Utd didn't get bad decisions against Liverpool that directly cost them the title (Liverpool did the double over us, remember?) This time round, four awful decisions across the two games against Chelski could cost us the title.

If Liverpool had won last year, I would've said 'well played, you beat us fair and square.' If Chelski win it this year, it'll be down to those four decisions. And that's not taking into account the other decisions that have gone Chelski's way this year. If you look back over the season, they have had far more go their way then Utd have (not least those ones that happened against Utd).

Maybe last season was not so bad. But take the seasons before that into account. And anyway, lets just stop debating about this and see what happens this weekend. If Man Utd ends up winning the title, fine then so be it. If Chelsea ends up winning it, then lets just say we won it. :)

If I was England manager I'd put him ahead of Rio, but let's not get into a debate about that. I just rate King very highly and think he adds more to the squad than anybody else, even worth the risk of him being injured.
:laugh

Terry maybe, considering the mediocre season he's had, but Ferdinand?

He might be a crock but he's the best centre back the country's got.

While he's never reclaimed the 2007/08 form where he was the best centre back around, he's still very good.

Ahead of Rio? Isn't he captain?

Unofficially he is, but he hasn't skippered in a game yet since JT was sacked. But i'd like Capello to make Gerrard the captain officially instead of Rio.

Man City given (like the pun?) special dispensation to sign a new keeper on loan, if I was them, I would go straight to Ben Foster. He's local, maybe on the other side of Manchester, but it's not like Fergie's gonna use him in the next 4 games? Can't think of a better 3rd choice keeper in the country tbh.

Would Fergie let him go though? Not sure who else could go to Man City though. Does it have to be from in England?

I don't see what Fergie has to lose by him going? He'll be getting some game time, and Foster might want it as a last attempt ditch effort to make the WC.

Man City given (like the pun?) special dispensation to sign a new keeper on loan, if I was them, I would go straight to Ben Foster. He's local, maybe on the other side of Manchester, but it's not like Fergie's gonna use him in the next 4 games? Can't think of a better 3rd choice keeper in the country tbh.

Sure - if City will swap Given for him - he'll recover from injury and still be a great keeper, but Foster will never be a great keeper, and we need to find someone to replace Van der Star at some point. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread