English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are couple of my friends and my own younger brother who is a Liverpool fan and they are all supporting for Chelsea. But I feel, if Rafa is going to leave Liverpool at the end of the season then why not leave on a high. Destroying Chelsea's title hopes wont be a bad thing. But what worries me is players' fatigue. Liverpool player 120 minutes on Thursday only to lose the game. They are already without Torres and now they have over over-rely on Gerrard who has been in his bad form this season. I am hoping that Chelsea turn out to be that side that lost 2-1 at Spurs, Wigan and Villa rather than the one that won 7-1 against Villa or 7-0 against Stoke.

Man United supporters for the second time ever in the Premier League will be cheering for our arch rivals Liverpool.

Remember, both those games were at Stamford Bridge - Chelsea have been a different team away from home. I'm still expecting them to get what they need though - the last thing we needed was for Liverpool's Atletico game to go into ET. With any luck, those potentially season changing decisions that Chelsea got against us over the two games will come back to bite them tomorrow. They're certainly due to get a few stinkers this year...

It's 60 minutes in, Liverpool 0 - 2 Chelski. That's not the whole story - Liverpool were by far the better team in the first half, until Steven Gerrard, rather conveniently if you ask me, slid the ball back to his keeper after 33 minutes, not noticing that Drogba was lurking. Result - Chelski score and after that, Liverpool were just not at the races. Job done if you ask me, Mr Gerrard. :sarcasm

Oh - Chelski's second goal looked offside to me and Kuyt was given offside when one on one with the Chelski keeper - the decisions continue to fall Chelski's way in this season - I have never seen a team get so many crucial decisions in important games. Granted, Utd have had their fair share, but never as many in vital games as Chelski have had this year. Of course, Chelski's owner does have quite a lot of money and probably more than one or two shady connections...

Either way, Liverpool, whatever happens this year, it's just a stay of execution; it won't be long before we overhaul your amount of league titles.

As I said before, if Liverpool had won last year, I would've said well played. If Chelski win, it's down to awful decisions in crucial games - no two ways about it.

Correction: When Chelski win, because they're going to. Wigan are hardly going to pose a problem against them at Stamford Bridge, are they - and it's not as if Wigan are fighting relegation. I can't say that Chelski haven't been the best team overall, because they have, but were it not for four nonsensical decisions, the worst of which by far was the linesman's failure to see that not one, but two Chelski players were clearly offside for Drogba's crucial second Chelski goal at Old Trafford - a decision that was so bloody awful that all officials concerned were demoted. Were it not for that goal, Utd would currently be at least two points clear. There have been numerous others, but that was the worst, for me. I know I'm sounding like a bad loser right now, but I just cannot congratulate a team that has won because of so many ridiculous decisions - the majority of which were concentrated into the two games against us.

Steven Gerrard, congratulations - you did what you clearly wanted to do and have stopped us overhauling your total of league titles - for now. He didn't look too disappointed after his 'mistake'.

Last edited:
Embarassing that LFC have sunk to this level. Shankly and Paisley must be rolling in their graves seeing how the empire they built has succumbed to such a low level.

Embarassing that LFC have sunk to this level. Shankly and Paisley must be rolling in their graves seeing how the empire they built has succumbed to such a low level.

Says it all really that when I text my mate saying that Liverpool had started well, He replied "I know, but I want Chelsea to win."

"Supporters" hoping their team lose. Sad, sad people.

United getting number 19 would be great for Liverpool because it would force them to concentrate on themselves winning the title, rather than United not winning it.

Next season will be exactly the same for you scousers, maybe worse. Gerrard, Torres gone. Manager change. Be another season of hoping someone other than you beat United to the title.

That is so true. What do you guys reckon about Steven Gerrard's 'mistake'? :D

Says it all really that when I text my mate saying that Liverpool had started well, He replied "I know, but I want Chelsea to win."

"Supporters" hoping their team lose. Sad, sad people.

United getting number 19 would be great for Liverpool because it would force them to concentrate on themselves winning the title, rather than United not winning it.

Next season will be exactly the same for you scousers, maybe worse. Gerrard, Torres gone. Manager change. Be another season of hoping someone other than you beat United to the title.

Exactly - Liverpool have sunk to the level where the pinnacle of their season is when someone other than Man Utd win the title. I thought this would happen: Liverpool get close, as they did many years back, and then end up nowhere for ten or fifteen years - that's going to happen again, because as you said, Torres will definitely be off this summer, Gerrard will as well if he has any sense (or ever wants to win the Premiership).

As I said to a Liverpool supporter (who said he'd like to see Chelski win 5 or 6 just so Sir Alex knew they'd rolled over) - that's very sad - pathetic almost - and you cannot call yourself a true supporter. No matter the consequences, I'd never wish a defeat, let alone a 5 or 6-0 on Utd.

Chelski still are and will always remain a joke club. They're where they are because of a Sugar Daddy, not because of them earning it over the years and several of their 'stars' go around acting like alleycats as well, behaviour that just makes me sick, especially those with long term partners.

Oh, and one final word: you're still around fifteen (OK, soon to be fourteen) Premiership titles behind us, Chelski.

Edit: After that Gerrard assist, Liverpool just rolled over. It's almost as if it was all in Liverpool's script...

Nah, jokes aside, Chelsea deserve it this year, they've beaten us, Arsenal and 'Pool home and away.

We should never have been in a position to rely on them anyway.

But we've done excellently in a transition season following Ronaldo's departure.

With a few squad tweaks, the future looks bright for us.

Nah, jokes aside, Chelsea deserve it this year, they've beaten us, Arsenal and 'Pool home and away.

That is correct. Chelsea have come out on top in those big games and overall have been the best of the lot. Having said that Chelsea have probably lost their plot in the not-so-big games, so Wigan might not be as easy as it may seem, unless Sunderland eases the situation by taking atleast a point against United.

We should never have been in a position to rely on them anyway.

But we've done excellently in a transition season following Ronaldo's departure.

With a few squad tweaks, the future looks bright for us.

Yes, agreed - they do deserve it. I just wish they'd got to this position without so many awful decisions in both the six pointers against us this year. Anyway, we've bought it down to the last day and strange things can happen on the last day - they've happened before. If you were Wigan right now, wouldn't you want to make a special point of proving people wrong for writing you off so much? I know I would. Everyone's acting as though the title is mathematically Chelski's, when it isn't and as they said on Sky just now, it's been the sort of season where anything could happen on the last day. Just a shame it's at the Bridge - if it was at Wigan's ground, it would really still be up for grabs.

Chances are, Chelski will win the league and put an end to four in a row for us. I don't think anyone's going to achieve that - whenever a team gets close, someone else ends up winning the league the following season!

Speaking of squad tweaks, remember when Berbatov first signed for us? City tried to hijack the deal at the last minute. Shame they didn't, in hindsight; think about it. We'd most likely still have Tevez now - one of the main reasons Tevez felt disillusioned with Man Utd is the fact that we did sign another striker. Now, imagine if we'd have kept Tevez. Chances are, a large portion of those 20+ goals would've come our way and we'd currently be miles clear of Chelski and looking forwards to laying down a marker for next season by thrashing Stoke, instead of the situation we find ourselves in now.

Let's face it, Berbatov has been a major flop at Old Trafford, not quite in Kleberson's class, maybe more like Veron. A flop none the less and we should look to replace him this summer. Maybe grab Tevez back from City if he doesn't stick around there...

Be funny if Gerrard pops up at Chelski next season, eh? ;)

MasterBlaster76 added 6 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

That is correct. Chelsea have come out on top in those big games and overall have been the best of the lot. Having said that Chelsea have probably lost their plot in the not-so-big games, so Wigan might not be as easy as it may seem, unless Sunderland eases the situation by taking atleast a point against United.

Hmmm... as I said, if it was at Wigan's ground, I'd agree with you, but personally I am fully expecting them to not just beat Wigan, but to blow them away. Still, as I said, Wigan have got to be feeling annoyed about how everyone is writing off their chances.

I'd disagree on one point: when we played Chelski at Stamford Bridge, we deserved a draw - Chelski were certainly not the best team. Then, of course, came two of the decisions I've been talking about and Chelski ended up winning the game.

At Old Trafford, they were the better team, but that non-offside decision for Drogba's goal was ridiculous and before anyone starts about Kiko's goal - it came off his stomach, as proven by the replays. Even if it had come off his hand, it wouldn't have made any difference: if it had missed his hand it would've hit his stomach (as it did) and went in anyway.

Still, it's done now - let's hope Chelski are winning 1-0 in the 93rd minute, and then Wigan get the Mother of all dodgy penalties, which they score. There would be nothing sweeter than seeing the fans' faces should that happen...

How about believing some of the UK papers, Mourinho to take Lampard away from Chelsea and Gerrard to replace him??

Well talking abt United I really feel we need a striker, playermaker and a keeper. Benzema is again linked with us and if we can bring him to United he could be a very good signing. Benzema is physical and good in the air and can also play on the flanks. Carrick has been a major flop for me and if we could do a deal for Modric with Carrick in it could be a brilliant deal. And then we can sign Joe Cole on free as I cant see him staying at Stamford Bridge next season.

My Signings would be
Striker - Benzema/Dzeko/Villa
Playermaker - Silva/Modric/Milner and Joe Cole(if free)
Keeper - Adler/Neuer/Lloris/Akinfeev.

@ Steve: I think you should stop complaining about the decisions that went our way in those two matches. When we beat you guys at the Bridge, we let you back into the race and you had the chance to go top and possible stay there all the way because we slipped up badly in December. But what happened? You did not take your chance. There were at times you can go top earlier this year but again you fail to take the opportunity presented to you.

Apart from that, you had your chances in other games where you could have won it or at least got a point from it. The games at Burnley and Blackburn are the obvious ones. Imagine Valencia had scored the blatant open goal against Blackburn, you might be on top anyway rather than us. You should look at all the games this season not just those two games against us. It's matter of taking the opportunity presented.

As for next week, it's going to be interesting even though we will be favorites to win and just like today again, everyone is assuming Man United will win at Sunderland and it depends on Chelsea to win at Anfield. Although Man United did win today, I don't think anyone should write off Stoke next week. Stoke City will be wanting to prove that they are better than what they played last week at Old Trafford. They will surely give Man United a harder test next week than predicted before after what happened last week. And wouldn't it be great that Man United are leading Stoke 1-0 all the way till the 92nd minute and suddenly a long throw by Delap was headed in by someone into the net? XD

And I don't think everyone will write off Wigan's chances next week just yet. The bookmakers, media etc would probably create the hype that Wigan might spoil the party at the Bridge etc just like how they build up today's game against Liverpool. Because of this, I'm not going to celebrate anything yet. Lets see what happens next week.

How about believing some of the UK papers, Mourinho to take Lampard away from Chelsea and Gerrard to replace him??

I saw that news but I don't think that is going to happen. Lampard is currently happy at Chelsea and there aren't any reasons for him to leave Stamford Bridge anyway. If he wanted to leave, he would done so when Mourinho popped up at Inter Milan.

Last edited:
Yes, agreed - they do deserve it. I just wish they'd got to this position without so many awful decisions in both the six pointers against us this year. Anyway, we've bought it down to the last day and strange things can happen on the last day - they've happened before. If you were Wigan right now, wouldn't you want to make a special point of proving people wrong for writing you off so much? I know I would. Everyone's acting as though the title is mathematically Chelski's, when it isn't and as they said on Sky just now, it's been the sort of season where anything could happen on the last day. Just a shame it's at the Bridge - if it was at Wigan's ground, it would really still be up for grabs.

Chances are, Chelski will win the league and put an end to four in a row for us. I don't think anyone's going to achieve that - whenever a team gets close, someone else ends up winning the league the following season!

Speaking of squad tweaks, remember when Berbatov first signed for us? City tried to hijack the deal at the last minute. Shame they didn't, in hindsight; think about it. We'd most likely still have Tevez now - one of the main reasons Tevez felt disillusioned with Man Utd is the fact that we did sign another striker. Now, imagine if we'd have kept Tevez. Chances are, a large portion of those 20+ goals would've come our way and we'd currently be miles clear of Chelski and looking forwards to laying down a marker for next season by thrashing Stoke, instead of the situation we find ourselves in now.

Let's face it, Berbatov has been a major flop at Old Trafford, not quite in Kleberson's class, maybe more like Veron. A flop none the less and we should look to replace him this summer. Maybe grab Tevez back from City if he doesn't stick around there...

Be funny if Gerrard pops up at Chelski next season, eh? ;)

MasterBlaster76 added 6 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

Hmmm... as I said, if it was at Wigan's ground, I'd agree with you, but personally I am fully expecting them to not just beat Wigan, but to blow them away. Still, as I said, Wigan have got to be feeling annoyed about how everyone is writing off their chances.

I'd disagree on one point: when we played Chelski at Stamford Bridge, we deserved a draw - Chelski were certainly not the best team. Then, of course, came two of the decisions I've been talking about and Chelski ended up winning the game.

At Old Trafford, they were the better team, but that non-offside decision for Drogba's goal was ridiculous and before anyone starts about Kiko's goal - it came off his stomach, as proven by the replays. Even if it had come off his hand, it wouldn't have made any difference: if it had missed his hand it would've hit his stomach (as it did) and went in anyway.

Still, it's done now - let's hope Chelski are winning 1-0 in the 93rd minute, and then Wigan get the Mother of all dodgy penalties, which they score. There would be nothing sweeter than seeing the fans' faces should that happen...

Sour grapes. The problem in this arguement is you look at two games instead of the whole season. The fact of the matter is, Manchester were not the best team throughout, they were not as good of a team as the last few years. Most years if a team was in this position 82 points you would be fighting for 3rd. Manchester should look at themselves first before looking at the controversial decisions that go around, which usually evens out after 38 games.

@Cricketdude - yes, the season is won or lost over 38 games not two, but the fact is those two were against our chief rivals. Had just one of those decisions gone our way, we would not be having this discussion about the last day - from what I can see, we'd only need a draw against Stoke, if that. To have four really bad decision against your chief rivals is not something that evens itself out over the season - games against your chief rival are basically six pointers. There have been several others that have gone Chelski's way as well, notably two penalties being denied against Bolton, in a game that Chelski should've lost. Two stonewall penalties in one game! Trust me, had these decisions happened against other teams instead of our chief rivals, I wouldn't be making such a fuss. If you lose against another team, there's a chance your rival will lose as well. However, if you lose against your rival, it almost counts double - which is why such games are called six pointers.

Sorry, I have a special dislike for Chelski. They're only where they are because of a Sugar Daddy (and I have zero respect for clubs like that - Man City included of course), several of their players' off the pitch behaviour is nothing short of disgraceful (notably, Mr Terry and Mr Cole) and players like Lampard seem to pull it out of the bag week in and week out for Chelski, yet when it comes to England, it doesn't work out that way. If he's such a 'great' player, then he should do it for England as well, and the fact is, he doesn't. Of course, you could say the same about Chelski's assist yesterday, Mr Steven Gerrard. He hasn't had a decent game for England for years.

You're a Chelski supporter like J Psychic, yes? How long have you both supported them for?

Edit: If we'd be fighting for 3rd with 82 points, then what would Chelski be fighting for with 83? :sarcasm

Either way, considering this was something of a transition season, since we lost both Ronaldo and Tevez, to be on Chelski's coat-tails like this represents a very good season and now that Nani is finally showing what he can actually do, along with Rooney's newly discovered heading ability, as well as whoever we bring in this Summer, as someone said earlier in the thread, the future looks very bright for Man Utd FC. Oh - and of course, there's every chance we'll be rid of these dead weight Glazers this Summer as well. Just our bloody luck that Rooney had to pick up that injury! Had he played against Blackburn, we would've beaten them, no doubt about it. Rooney would've scored at least one of the hatful that Berbatov missed. He truly was an awful signing - and to think of the fun and games we went through to sign him!

And let's not forget, we're talking about the Premiership here - strange things can happen on the last day. Last year, or the year before, Chelski tripped over against Bolton at Stamford Bridge - they lost 2-1 as far as I remember. Yes, I know that Stoke will want to prove a point as well, but they have had the stuffing well and truly knocked out of them and I am fully expecting them to ship four or five against us on Sunday. One game to go, still time for some of those decisions to come back on Chelski. I was finding it hard not to laugh while Ancelotti moaned about bad decisions yesterday!

Anyway, that's my final word on it.

MasterBlaster76 added 10 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

I saw that news but I don't think that is going to happen. Lampard is currently happy at Chelsea and there aren't any reasons for him to leave Stamford Bridge anyway. If he wanted to leave, he would done so when Mourinho popped up at Inter Milan.

My guess is Mourinho will go to Real Madrid and try to buy Lampard for them. That would be a good thing. Chelski's heartbeat would be crippled and Lampard would develop into a better player for England. Here's to that happening.

MasterBlaster76 added 6 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

Well talking abt United I really feel we need a striker, playermaker and a keeper. Benzema is again linked with us and if we can bring him to United he could be a very good signing. Benzema is physical and good in the air and can also play on the flanks. Carrick has been a major flop for me and if we could do a deal for Modric with Carrick in it could be a brilliant deal. And then we can sign Joe Cole on free as I cant see him staying at Stamford Bridge next season.

My Signings would be
Striker - Benzema/Dzeko/Villa
Playermaker - Silva/Modric/Milner and Joe Cole(if free)
Keeper - Adler/Neuer/Lloris/Akinfeev.

Not a bad list. If we get three of those, it'll massively strengthen us. But for the love of God, we have got to offload Berbatov. It still bemuses me how he could be such a great player for Spurs and such a flop for us. We all know that had he reproduced his Spurs form at Utd, we would be miles clear!

Joe Cole is a must. We have got to put in a bid for him at least. Yes, we know that Manamecca City are probably going to offer him 50 squillion quid a week, but he might prefer to come to Utd, since we're still a far bigger club than City. After all, Berbatov did, didn't he? He didn't come to Utd for bigger money, he came because we were a bigger club. Shame he forgot to bring his ability with him.

Villa will go to Barcelona or Real Madrid, Benzema will come to Utd and instantly have the pressure of being the new Cantona (wouldn't that give the Premiership sleepless nights?) and Milner would be a superb signing - he's a player I rate very highly - watch him at the World Cup.

We definitely need at least one striker and a playmaker to replace Scholes, who can't go on forever.

Last edited:
Villa seems to be linked to everyone these days, but always ends up staying with Los Che. But Valencia probably will be looking at his age now and may consider letting him go because from now on his market value will drop with every season.

Barcelona apparently had reached an agreement with Valencia for him, which would see the latter get 40 million + Bojan on loan + Hleb on loan. Laporta has since rubbished it ofcourse, but I could see that working for both clubs.

@ Steve: Even though the decisions went in our favor in those two matches but like I said before, you had the chance to go top and stay there when we were dropping like flies in February and most notably in December but you did not take it. You could have been top at this time if you pick up 3 points against Blackburn and taken your chances when we dropped points. I don't think you guys will complain about this if you are top at the moment. And if you really want to talk about the match at Old Trafford, where were the players in 1st half? Only in second half that you started to play and put pressure on us. If they have done that in 1st half, then I'm sure things will be different in the end. Even then, you had your chances in the game as well. Berbatov's header in injury time was one of them. If he had headed the ball like how Scholes did in the Manchester derby, then the result might be 2-2. Wouldn't you know it.

I don't think it is fair to compare the performance of Lampard for Chelsea and England. It's just like Messi's situation. Brilliant for Barcelona but the opposite for Argentina. This is down to the fact that the manager uses them differently than their club does and the player plays a different role in the team when playing for country.

And for the record, we drew 1-1 with Bolton two seasons ago but that time the situation was different because you were winning at Wigan which wins you the title and that was why the players did not bother much it by that time(it was towards the end of the game by the way). But this time, things are different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread