English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If its a quality tall/physcial/mobile striker that United may want to replace Berbatov:

- Hugain wont go to United. Plus i'm not sure if he is physical enough to handle the Premiership.

- Benzema is physical enough. But he is not in form for Madrid, so it would be crazy to buy him unless he has to very good world cup for France. Plus it would look quite crazy if Madrid where to sell if after 1 season after paying so much for him.

- Edin Dzeko is the most in-form tall striker & interest me the most. But i'm not sure of his style of play since the bundesliga isn't broadcasted here in England.

I personally think the best man for United to buy is Luis Fabiano.

If its a quality tall/physcial/mobile striker that United may want to replace Berbatov:

- Hugain wont go to United. Plus i'm not sure if he is physical enough to handle the Premiership.

- Benzema is physical enough. But he is not in form for Madrid, so it would be crazy to buy him unless he has to very good world cup for France. Plus it would look quite crazy if Madrid where to sell if after 1 season after paying so much for him.

- Edin Dzeko is the most in-form tall striker & interest me the most. But i'm not sure of his style of play since the bundesliga isn't broadcasted here in England.

I personally think the best man for United to buy is Luis Fabiano.

Who has already said he wants to come to Utd.

We don't need Fabiano anyway.

We need that creativity in midfield.

Get Silva in and we can play 4-2-3-1 with Silva in the hole behind Rooney.

Or get Modric, Gourcuff or Hamsik, players who can play in a 4-4-2 and 4-3-3.

I'd prefer Modric with his extra versatility on the left and his Premiership experience but it's unlikely now with Spurs in the CL.

Its a bit sad that physical strength and built have become bigger requirements than skill and talent. Probably one of the reasons I've lost interest in the Premier League in the past few seasons.

Just one of many reasons why England do crap at international tournaments as well.

Who has already said he wants to come to Utd.

Yea. Its ebst United buy a pacy striker to partner Rooney.

Auwais said:
We don't need Fabiano anyway.

We need that creativity in midfield.

Get Silva in and we can play 4-2-3-1 with Silva in the hole behind Rooney.

Or get Modric, Gourcuff or Hamsik, players who can play in a 4-4-2 and 4-3-3.

I'd prefer Modric with his extra versatility on the left and his Premiership experience but it's unlikely now with Spurs in the CL.

United need both another striker to replace Berbatov (Fabiano) & a creative midfielder. Both Modric & Silva are unlikely to go to United i'd say.

Silva if he ever leaves Valencia will go to Madrid or Barca i feel. Plus is fear the physical nature of the premiership willl undermine his skills too. Plus the only way United could get Modric is if (as i've heard in rumors) Carrick goes back to Tottenham (which is also unlikely).

I like Gourcuff alot though woud love to see him @ United. But if we think back United could have already had a creative midfielder in either Sneijder or Robben as part of the deal for seilling Ronaldo to Madrid. Great oppurtunity missed.

War added 2 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

Just one of many reasons why England do crap at international tournaments as well.

Although in some ways the Premiership not being as technical as La Liga or Serie (back in the days, since current Serie A is a bit lazy). If England where to play with physical premiership style in the world cup, they can very well & be very forceful on the world stage. Just like how Premiership teams have dominated in Europe in the last 3-4 years.

United need both another striker to replace Berbatov (Fabiano) & a creative midfielder. Both Modric & Silva are unlikely to go to United i'd say.

Silva if he ever leaves Valencia will go to Madrid or Barca i feel. Plus is fear the physical nature of the premiership willl undermine his skills too. Plus the only way United could get Modric is if (as i've heard in rumors) Carrick goes back to Tottenham (which is also unlikely).

I like Gourcuff alot though woud love to see him @ United. But if we think back United could have already had a creative midfielder in either Sneijder or Robben as part of the deal for seilling Ronaldo to Madrid. Great oppurtunity missed.

War added 2 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

Although in some ways the Premiership not being as technical as La Liga or Serie (back in the days, since current Serie A is a bit lazy). If England where to play with physical premiership style in the world cup, they can very well & be very forceful on the world stage. Just like how Premiership teams have dominated in Europe in the last 3-4 years.
I don't thinks it's clear cut that we'll get a striker or even sell Berbatov. Up front we have Rooney, Berbatov, Macheda, Welbeck, Diouf and Hernandez will join next season.

If we do sell Berbatov, we shouldn't replace him with another 29 year old, I think we'd go for someone younger. We didn't need a winger like Robben either, Valencia's consistency and Nani's emergence shows that. Probably missed a trick with Sneijder but I'm not sure if he has the discipline to play in a two man central midfield.

Playing a physical game is one thing but having a coherent team unit that gets the back out of the side is more important and something that Capello's undoubtably provided to the side, which is why I have much more confidence in the England side than previous years, despite the talent available not being at the standard in the past.
I would put that down to the increase in the number of foreign players in the Premiership.
We've had to turn to more and more foreign talent over the years because of our acadamies and youth facilities not producing enough talent.

The "90 minute" rule is ludicrious and obviously doesn't benefit the youth development programmes of our clubs either.

We also don't spend enough money on our academy programmes. Barcelona spend something like ?15m a year and have reaped the rewards of their cantera, while Man Utd and Chelsea spend something like three or four times less than that.

I would put that down to the increase in the number of foreign players in the Premiership.

Well, I've always said that we need a cap on foreigners in the Premiership, especially with situations like you have at Man City - what chance do youngsters from their academy stand if they're able to buy whoever they want? Maybe not next season, because they'll struggle to attract top players due to not qualifying for the CL, but the season after that, who knows?

Anyway, it's all over now - Chelski ahead after only six minutes - they're going to murder Wigan now; I see another 5 or 6 - 0 result. We'll be back next year - keep that trophy gleaming, Mr Ancelotti...

Edit: Berba's just missed yet another one he should've scored - he really does have to go.

Aaaaand by the sounds of it, the dodgy decisions continue to flow Chelski's way - SS just said that Chelski's opener against Wigan looked offside.

Last edited:
Well, as I predicted, Wigan have been stuffed by Chelski - good thing it didn't come down to that one dubious goal. We're doing a decent job on Stoke, but it would be really nice to lay down a proper 5 or 6-0 marker for next season.

For sheer destructive firepower, even the most ardent of Utd fans (like me) can deny that Chelski have deserved the title this year - even taking that into account of course, were it not for a few seriously stupid little results, such as being beaten at Burnley (!) and that one bad week in April that Sir Alex has picked out for the turning point, we would've won the title regardless of how many goals Chelski scored! I've said my piece on the sheer amount of dodgy decisions that have gone Chelski's way this year. :) ;)

As Sir Alex has just said, we'll be back.

Until then, bring on the World Cup!

Pleased for Ancelotti. He's pissed on his doubters with this title and could yet get a double.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread