English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For sheer destructive firepower, even the most ardent of Utd fans (like me) can deny that Chelski have deserved the title this year - even taking that into account of course, were it not for a few seriously stupid little results, such as being beaten at Burnley (!) and that one bad week in April that Sir Alex has picked out for the turning point, we would've won the title regardless of how many goals Chelski scored! I've said my piece on the sheer amount of dodgy decisions that have gone Chelski's way this year. :) ;)

As Sir Alex has just said, we'll be back.

Until then, bring on the World Cup!

Despite what is being said, I knew you will still come back to the decisions in those games. But seriously, you had your chances and luck! Too bad you did not take them when it matters. And at least it was nice of Sir Alex to congratulate Ancelotti and the players.

Going back to that game, was happy that we got the early goal and a 2-0 lead at half time but not with the performance. The second half was way way better. Anyway, I'm very pleased that Chelsea won the title and we just need to beat Portsmouth next week to complete the double. Won't be easy against them though.

No, but you'll beat them. I don't remember a single season where a team that has just won the league failed to win the FA Cup as well. Now, if you'd lost the league, I'd back Pompey to beat you in the Cup, but as it is, I don't give them a prayer.

I don't thinks it's clear cut that we'll get a striker or even sell Berbatov. Up front we have Rooney, Berbatov, Macheda, Welbeck, Diouf and Hernandez will join next season.

If we do sell Berbatov, we shouldn't replace him with another 29 year old, I think we'd go for someone younger. We didn't need a winger like Robben either, Valencia's consistency and Nani's emergence shows that. Probably missed a trick with Sneijder but I'm not sure if he has the discipline to play in a two man central midfield.

I think its almost inevitable that Berbatov will go. He really doesn't suite United's style of play. He isn't that predator type tall/pacy striker that Van Nistlerooy was at all.

I dont think Fabiano age is problem at all. He is in superb form every time i watch La Liga. He has the physical game to suite the premiership. But United potentially buying depends on if SAF wants a tall strker or short/physical/pacy striker to partner Rooney.

I rate Macheda. Not sure about Welbeck, Diouf looked total crap the few times i saw him thus year. Not sure what these scouts are doing buying all these unknown players like Obertan, Diouf & now Hernandez :facepalm

Plus we need another winger to back up Nani/Valencia. Certainly can't expect them to last in all competitions next season without getting injured.

Auwais said:
Playing a physical game is one thing but having a coherent team unit that gets the back out of the side is more important and something that Capello's undoubtably provided to the side, which is why I have much more confidence in the England side than previous years, despite the talent available not being at the standard in the past.

We've had to turn to more and more foreign talent over the years because of our acadamies and youth facilities not producing enough talent.

Indeed. The FA needs to hurry up and get that National Football centre @ Burton up & running that will help alot in us producing good local talent & take England to a new level.

France has had Clairfontaine, Itlay with Coverciano, plus im sure Spain & Holland probably have one too.

Funnily enough that both Chelsea and Portsmouth are the only two clubs to have won the FA Cup at the new Wembley Stadium. Anyway, I still will not rule them out just yet. Also, it will be interesting in the summer to see which club buys who. :laugh

Theres some things Fergie needs to address for next season:

- We need more attacking power in the midfield, the combo of Fletcher and Scholes is too defensive imo.

- Nani has improved this season but still lacks the ability to finish plays off (goals/crosses)

- Berbatov.. Get rid of him whilst we still holds a bit of transfer value.

- Is Neville are best right back by the time next season comes?

- We need some more firepower up front, we've got Chelsea with Anelka and Didier Diveba slotting goals for fun yet we've got Rooney and nothing else. We need another quality, proven striker. If we lose Rooney for a while, where will our goals come from?

- Oh and where is Hargreaves?

- We need some more firepower up front, we've got Chelsea with Anelka and Didier Diveba slotting goals for fun yet we've got Rooney and nothing else. We need another quality, proven striker. If we lose Rooney for a while, where will our goals come from?

Thats why you shouldn't have sold Tevez.

The goals won't come from Berbatov.

The reason why Chelski won the league is clear. Look at their team, and there isn't really one player you'd remove if your objective was to screw them up. OK, maybe I'd choose Lampard, as he ties the play together, but if you take Drogba, you have Anelka. Take Anelka, you have Kalou. Take Kalou, you have Malouda - each one can turn the game in a second. Now, with Utd, the choice is clear - Rooney. I'm not saying that we're a one man team, because we're not, but the fact is if you remove Rooney, the team just isn't the same.

That needs to be addressed in the Summer. Berbatov has to be sold - the amount of chances he missed was just stupid - had he put half of them away, we would've finished the season at least three points clear. Rooney needs to be given some support - a striker that will complement him, not become a duplicate. Tevez/Rooney worked beautifully - selling Tevez was a huge mistake - and to think Berbatov was meant to be Tevez' replacement. :doh

Also, some guile in the midfield is needed. A central playmaker to replace Scholes, who can't go on forever, a wide man to replace Giggs (ditto Scholes)
and someone to really tie the play together in midfield. Chelski had that in Lampard, whereas we didn't, not really. Darren Fletcher has turned into a bit of a midfield general, adding some real steel to the midfield and of course (well hopefully), Hargreaves will shake off his injuries.

Defensively, we're looking good - Neville aside - he needs to be replaced. Evans has improved leaps and bounds and in time will form part of the centreback partnership. Goalkeeper: Van der Sar, like Scholes and Giggs can't go on forever. Foster's not good enough, neither is Tomasz Kuszczak - he's not in Van der Sar's league.

So, there you go Sir Alex! There's your manifesto to win the League back next season, and maybe the Champions League as well. All you have to do is sign the right players. :)

I'm not too worried to be honest - we only finished one point behind and as we've already discussed, we had some very bad results - such as being beaten at Burnley - any one of which would've turned the season in our favour. It's not like a few years ago, where Chelski walked the league (indeed, one year, we didn't even finish second) - even taking into account Chelski's unbelievable home form, we were right on their coat tails. And Sir Alex has said he's going to rebuild the squad - God knows where the money's coming from - maybe he knows something we don't regarding the Red Knights...

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

Theres some things Fergie needs to address for next season:

- We need more attacking power in the midfield, the combo of Fletcher and Scholes is too defensive imo.

- Nani has improved this season but still lacks the ability to finish plays off (goals/crosses)

- Berbatov.. Get rid of him whilst we still holds a bit of transfer value.

- Is Neville are best right back by the time next season comes?

- Oh and where is Hargreaves?

Nani's goals are beginning to come now - he's going to have a great season next year, I am sure of that. Agreed about the midfield and of course, up front. Neville, like the rest of the 'Fergie Fledglings' is coming to the end of his career, and I don't think the Brazilian twins are ready to fully shoulder the load yet - neither of them. Evra looks good in his position however.

Edit: Remember Anderson is to come back, and he was beginning to show some good form. Either way, at least one 'marquee' signing is required, alongside a few other ones. Milner, and Ashley Young from Villa would certainly be on my list - maybe Agbonlahor as well - I would love to see him pair up with Rooney. Maybe Defoe from Spurs, or Bent from Sunderland. All are English, so you know what you'll get from them. Come on, Sir Alex! Let's clear Villa out... :D

Last edited:
Edit: Remember Anderson is to come back, and he was beginning to show some good form. Either way, at least one 'marquee' signing is required, alongside a few other ones. Milner, and Ashley Young from Villa would certainly be on my list - maybe Agbonlahor as well - I would love to see him pair up with Rooney. Maybe Defoe from Spurs, or Bent from Sunderland. All are English, so you know what you'll get from them. Come on, Sir Alex! Let's clear Villa out... :D

I dont remember Anderson showing form at anytime before he got injured. He was playing crap & i think he should be sold.

My United sales/buys for next season would be:

- Anderson out - Miler or Cole in.

- Berbatov out - Fabiano or Benzema (dpeniding on his performances in the world cup for france) in.

- Modric or Gourcuff in. Carrick would swap back to Spurs if Modric comes. But if its Gourcuff, Carrick could say.

While outside buys could be a new long term keeper in case VDS wants to retire. Buffon or Lloris at the top of the list. While maybe an established right-back, but i dont see any around Europe worth buying or maybe that could be tempted to United.

I dont remember Anderson showing form at anytime before he got injured. He was playing crap & i think he should be sold.

My United sales/buys for next season would be:

- Anderson out - Miler or Cole in.

- Berbatov out - Fabiano or Benzema (dpeniding on his performances in the world cup for france) in.

- Modric or Gourcuff in. Carrick would swap back to Spurs if Modric comes. But if its Gourcuff, Carrick could say.

While outside buys could be a new long term keeper in case VDS wants to retire. Buffon or Lloris at the top of the list. While maybe an established right-back, but i dont see any around Europe worth buying or maybe that could be tempted to United.

The only reason Sir Alex isn't snapping Chelski's arm off to land Cole on a free is the player's injury history - remember, he has been stung by the Hargreaves situation. If Cole wasn't getting injured all the time, I am sure Utd would put in a bid for him. Milner, as I said would be a great signing. Carrick - I don't understand why people are so down on him - he is usually a reasonably solid player for Utd - ok, this season hasn't been the best. Buffon - I would love to see him at Utd, but isn't he in his mid thirties or thereabouts as well?

I would definitely sound Villa out about Agbonlahor, Milner and Ashley Young. Agbonlahor and Rooney could become a very good combination, I reckon - and not just for Utd either. :)

Capello is picking his 30-man squad 2moro. This is what i expect & hope he picks:

GK:

1. Green
2. Hart
3. James
4. Robisnon

DEF:

5. Terry
6. Ferdinand
7. King
8. Carragher
9. Dawson
10. Upson
11. A Cole
12. G Johnson
13. Baines

MID:

14. Gerrard
15. Lampard
16. Barry
17. Milner
18. Carrick
19. J Cole
20. Lennon
21. Walcott
22. A Johnson
23. Parker/Huddlestone or Hargreaves (Hargreaves being consider basically depends on if United coaches & Capello in their discussions think he may be worth the risk).
24. A Young

STR:

25. Rooney
26. Crouch
27. Defoe
28. Heskey
29. Zamora
30. Bent/Agbonlahor

Last edited:
Wouldn't you bring Agbonlahor?

Yea i just edited the list. He definately has a great chance of making the 30. But he wont make the final 23.

I'm so excited that ENG will potentially have King & Carragher in the squad. 6 months ago that was improbable dream.

The only reason Sir Alex isn't snapping Chelski's arm off to land Cole on a free is the player's injury history - remember, he has been stung by the Hargreaves situation. If Cole wasn't getting injured all the time, I am sure Utd would put in a bid for him. Milner, as I said would be a great signing. Carrick - I don't understand why people are so down on him - he is usually a reasonably solid player for Utd - ok, this season hasn't been the best. Buffon - I would love to see him at Utd, but isn't he in his mid thirties or thereabouts as well?

I would definitely sound Villa out about Agbonlahor, Milner and Ashley Young. Agbonlahor and Rooney could become a very good combination, I reckon - and not just for Utd either. :)

Hmm im not sure if J Cole really has that bad of a injury record to be fair you know. Before his recent injury that kept him out of most of 2009, i dont recall him ever having a serious long term in injury.

Carrick is suppose to be Scholes successor, the man who in big games will bring that killer pass etc. If we think post scholes & that Fletcher/Hargreaves as the main two mid-fielders with Gibson & even Ji-sung Park. Carrick position looks very vulnerable unfortunately. This is why we need a creative mid-fielder.

Buffon is 32. He is the best long term replacement for VDS id say. We could have have Buffon if he keeps his form up for a solid 5 seasons at least.

I like the Villa boys as well. But to be fair only Milner has a serious chance of going to OT.

War added 1 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

World Cup countdown: Chelsea star Joe Cole set to miss out on England squad, along with Manchester City's Gareth Barry and MAnchester United duo Gary Neville and Wes Brown - MirrorFootball.co.uk

I hope this early rumour from the daily mirror is wrong. I would cry if J Cole doesn't go to the world cup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread