English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about believing some of the UK papers, Mourinho to take Lampard away from Chelsea and Gerrard to replace him??

Well talking abt United I really feel we need a striker, playermaker and a keeper. Benzema is again linked with us and if we can bring him to United he could be a very good signing. Benzema is physical and good in the air and can also play on the flanks. Carrick has been a major flop for me and if we could do a deal for Modric with Carrick in it could be a brilliant deal. And then we can sign Joe Cole on free as I cant see him staying at Stamford Bridge next season.

My Signings would be
Striker - Benzema/Dzeko/Villa
Playermaker - Silva/Modric/Milner and Joe Cole(if free)
Keeper - Adler/Neuer/Lloris/Akinfeev.

Good list indeed. I have also heard rumours also of Buffon being spoken of a potential keeper buy as well.

@ Steve: Even though the decisions went in our favor in those two matches but like I said before, you had the chance to go top and stay there when we were dropping like flies in February and most notably in December but you did not take it. You could have been top at this time if you pick up 3 points against Blackburn and taken your chances when we dropped points. I don't think you guys will complain about this if you are top at the moment. And if you really want to talk about the match at Old Trafford, where were the players in 1st half? Only in second half that you started to play and put pressure on us. If they have done that in 1st half, then I'm sure things will be different in the end. Even then, you had your chances in the game as well. Berbatov's header in injury time was one of them. If he had headed the ball like how Scholes did in the Manchester derby, then the result might be 2-2. Wouldn't you know it.

I don't think it is fair to compare the performance of Lampard for Chelsea and England. It's just like Messi's situation. Brilliant for Barcelona but the opposite for Argentina. This is down to the fact that the manager uses them in a different than their club does and the player plays a different role in the team when playing for country.

And for the record, we drew 1-1 with Bolton two seasons ago but that time the situation was different because you were winning at Wigan which wins you the title and that was why the players did not bother much it by that time(it was towards the end of the game by the way). But this time, things are different.

rbon97l.jpg

@ Steve: Well, lets just stop debating about it, for now. :laugh

About Arsenal's match yesterday, it's so easy for Blackburn to score against Arsenal especially when Fabianski is in goal and as usual, Arsene Wenger complains about the opposition tactics on his team and said Fabianski is innocent for the two goals conceded. What a joke! :facepalm And now, Spurs could even take the 3rd spot from them which makes it interesting but I doubt so though.

Also, if either Spurs or Man City gets the fourth spot and wins the Champions League qualifying round, they will be in Pot 4 for the group stage draw right?

Last edited:
@Cricketdude - yes, the season is won or lost over 38 games not two, but the fact is those two were against our chief rivals. Had just one of those decisions gone our way, we would not be having this discussion about the last day - from what I can see, we'd only need a draw against Stoke, if that. To have four really bad decision against your chief rivals is not something that evens itself out over the season - games against your chief rival are basically six pointers. There have been several others that have gone Chelski's way as well, notably two penalties being denied against Bolton, in a game that Chelski should've lost. Two stonewall penalties in one game! Trust me, had these decisions happened against other teams instead of our chief rivals, I wouldn't be making such a fuss. If you lose against another team, there's a chance your rival will lose as well. However, if you lose against your rival, it almost counts double - which is why such games are called six pointers.
And if we had the right decisions last year against Barca we would have been through to our second CL final in a row. Like I said, it goes around.
Sorry, I have a special dislike for Chelski. They're only where they are because of a Sugar Daddy (and I have zero respect for clubs like that - Man City included of course), several of their players' off the pitch behaviour is nothing short of disgraceful (notably, Mr Terry and Mr Cole) and players like Lampard seem to pull it out of the bag week in and week out for Chelski, yet when it comes to England, it doesn't work out that way. If he's such a 'great' player, then he should do it for England as well, and the fact is, he doesn't. Of course, you could say the same about Chelski's assist yesterday, Mr Steven Gerrard. He hasn't had a decent game for England for years.
So what you expect is, a team coming around 6,7,8th or so to become a powerhouse without financial backing. It's not going to happen now days. That opportunity passed long ago, with Liverpool and Manchester seemingly making the most of it.

You can't just have a go at Lampard because he doesn't perform for his country. There are english players too at Manchester United. The criticism has to go to everyone at the team IMO because they aren't(before Capello) performing. Maybe its the fact that Chelsea play as a team and England(before Capello) didn't.
You're a Chelski supporter like J Psychic, yes? How long have you both supported them for?
I have supported them since the transfer of Damien Duff to Chelsea in 03(which was when I was 8 turning 9). Damien Duff for some reason was my favourite player. I supported Blackburn before the transfer...

I remember when I was 8 I would go into a shop(keep in mind I live in Australia) and ask for a Blackburn shirt. The reaction of the shopkeeper was hilarious.

Edit: If we'd be fighting for 3rd with 82 points, then what would Chelski be fighting for with 83? :sarcasm
It's not about Chelsea, its about Manchester. They have obviously underachieved this year, compared to previous years.
Either way, considering this was something of a transition season, since we lost both Ronaldo and Tevez, to be on Chelski's coat-tails like this represents a very good season and now that Nani is finally showing what he can actually do, along with Rooney's newly discovered heading ability, as well as whoever we bring in this Summer, as someone said earlier in the thread, the future looks very bright for Man Utd FC. Oh - and of course, there's every chance we'll be rid of these dead weight Glazers this Summer as well. Just our bloody luck that Rooney had to pick up that injury! Had he played against Blackburn, we would've beaten them, no doubt about it. Rooney would've scored at least one of the hatful that Berbatov missed. He truly was an awful signing - and to think of the fun and games we went through to sign him!
This could also be translated as "not quite good enough this year, had bad luck, but we also got a bright future". Nothing bad about that. ;)
And let's not forget, we're talking about the Premiership here - strange things can happen on the last day. Last year, or the year before, Chelski tripped over against Bolton at Stamford Bridge - they lost 2-1 as far as I remember. Yes, I know that Stoke will want to prove a point as well, but they have had the stuffing well and truly knocked out of them and I am fully expecting them to ship four or five against us on Sunday. One game to go, still time for some of those decisions to come back on Chelski. I was finding it hard not to laugh while Ancelotti moaned about bad decisions yesterday!
True, anything can happen. Being a Chelsea supporter I am paranoid as ever, but looking at it objectively we will pound them.
Anyway, that's my final word on it.
Chelsea 4 Manchester United 18. On our way:D

We're not showing signs of doing a Liverpool just yet - remember, we're likely to only lose the title by one point - barring the miracle happening, of course. :D

Sir Alex has been promised big money this summer, despite the club's debts. I don't understand how this sort of thing works personally - how are we still able to spend big? Anyway, Joe Cole doesn't cost anything, so Sir Alex should put in a bid for him - it can't hurt and he's a class player. I'm still not sure about Benzema - he might come and be the new Cantona, or he might come and be the new Berbatov...

Benzema will run more than Berbatov. He is a good player no doubt. Might just unleash hell (Pique-style) next season if we do keep hold of him.

I don't think Benzema will move. He has already stated his intentions to play a second season at Madrid and possibly complete his 6 year contract there.

Apparently, he's said he wants to stay at Real Madrid forever. Also, Chelski are going to try and sign Torres. Nightmare!

On the positive side, Sir Alex has vowed to rebuild our squad this summer, no matter what happens this weekend. He doesn't usually say that, so expect some nice signings at Old Trafford! Milos Krasic is mooted to be a target for us and he really impressed me when we played CSKA Moscow - ?15m.

Well done, Tottenham! Never mind, City - all that money and no CL for you. :laugh

Watch your back, Harry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha has Ledley King suddenly become fit?. He has now played 3 consecutive games in about 10 days. Brillaint stuff, both him & Dawson must go to the world cup, sorry Matt Upson.

I cant see Benzema joining us in the near future. Why would Madrid allow a player on whom they spent over 35m to leave after just one season. I feel Madrid would sell Higuain easily than Benzema. If thats the case we should go for Higuain as he has been scoring for fun at Madrid and his form has kept Benzema on the bench.

Torres to Chelsea for 70m thats a horror move, Looks like Torres wants some more money. Why should Torres leave after one poor season for the club. The new owners should invest some money and give Rafa to buy some star names.

Chelsea's best season in 4 years = Man Utd worst season in 4 years - 1 point.

shantanu_rooney added 1 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

Forgot to add Congrats Spurs they fully deserved.

Congrats to Spurs for sealing the Champions League spot. Hope they can make it to the group stage unless they can somehow pip Arsenal to the third spot. As for City, well no Champions League football and lets see who would want to go there in the summer. :laugh

Last edited:
I cant see Benzema joining us in the near future. Why would Madrid allow a player on whom they spent over 35m to leave after just one season. I feel Madrid would sell Higuain easily than Benzema. If thats the case we should go for Higuain as he has been scoring for fun at Madrid and his form has kept Benzema on the bench.

Torres to Chelsea for 70m thats a horror move, Looks like Torres wants some more money. Why should Torres leave after one poor season for the club. The new owners should invest some money and give Rafa to buy some star names.

Chelsea's best season in 4 years = Man Utd worst season in 4 years - 1 point.

shantanu_rooney added 1 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

Forgot to add Congrats Spurs they fully deserved.

No way Madrid will sell Higuain. He's made a home for himself there. He's scored 26 goals in 30 games in La Liga this season. Pretty damn amazing.

Gerrard's supposed to have already agreed terms with Inter! I can't exactly see Torres playing anywhere else in England. He's already complained a couple of times this season about how many kicks he takes. He'll shoot off back to Spain. Probably to Barca since they aren't overly happy with Ibra.

There will be riots if Higuain is sold. He's become a mini-legend already and according to many has already signed an extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread