English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's on about the replacement loan they are allowed to have until the end of the season. Not a permanent move.

BBC Sport - Football - World Cup scouting: strikers

BBC Pundits pick their ENG WC squad. Allan Hansen, Alan Shearer, Mark Lawrenson & Lee Dixon:

Gk: Green, James, Hart

DEF: Terry, Ferdinand, A Cole, Bridge or Baines, Dawson, King, Brown

MID: Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Milner, Walcott, Lennon, J Cole, Carrick

STR: Rooney, Heskey, Crouch, Defoe

Yepp i'd have to agree with those folks. Would be very surprised if all stays fit that Capello doesn't end up picking this 23.

Last edited:
Well they have counted 'Bridge or Baines' as two choices, making it a squad of 22.

I'd add another striker. Probably Darren Bent. Is Carlton Cole fit? I'd think about swapping him with Heskey as well.

Instead of an extra striker I would go with Hagreaves. I know he hasnt played since September 2008 but if he gets some 300 minutes of football before the World Cup then he could be very useful in midfield. And he was England's best player last season and he does score a penalty in penalty shout out for England. Hargreaves should play 100 odd minutes in the next two matches for United and if he can play the England friendlies then it could be a huge boost. I rate Hargo way ahead of Barry or Carrick. And Carrick hasnt been in his best form this season.

Ha my mistake. I forgot to put in Glenn Johnson from the video.

Liverpool losing to Atletico like that has probably handed Chelski the league; Liverpool will be crushed physically and mentally, and don't really have much chance of fourth although it is still possible, so why should they be bothered to make an effort on Sunday, when they know full well that in all probability, any kind of result against Chelski will hand us the league. As well as that, the match went to extra time - not what we needed. Sunday is the most important day in the Premiership season - let's face it, Wigan are hardly going to get anything at Stamford Bridge, are they?

With Liverpool having the need to play the extra time, I'm not too sure whether that will work into Chelsea's advantage or not. And for Liverpool, I think a lot will depend on Saturday's results. Spurs will play Bolton at the Lane while Man City will face Villa. If Spurs and either Man City or Villa wins, then I think Liverpool might not care too much about the Sunday's match. Having said that, I still think facing Liverpool this Sunday is going to be very tricky rather than easy regardless of the situation.

True, it'll be a tough game either way, but if Liverpool had won their game, not only would we now have an all English Europa League Final (which would annoy Blatter and Platini), they'd also go into Sunday's game buoyant and in the perfect mood to lay down a marker for next season. As it is, I don't think their hearts will be in it, whereas Chelski's most certainly will...

True, it'll be a tough game either way, but if Liverpool had won their game, not only would we now have an all English Europa League Final (which would annoy Blatter and Platini), they'd also go into Sunday's game buoyant and in the perfect mood to lay down a marker for next season. As it is, I don't think their hearts will be in it, whereas Chelski's most certainly will...

I think people should also be asking which Chelsea side will turn up. Will it be the one that turned up at Old Trafford a few weeks ago or the side that played miserably at White Hart Lane? I have to admit, Chelsea have been inconsistent in Away games this season. The players can play well for an away match and then fails horribly in the next away game. Apart from that, with all the news about Rafa linking with Juventus, Reina claiming Liverpool's "tank" is now empty etc, it could throw Chelsea into complacency mood. If that happens, I think I will just look forward to the FA Cup final. Because if Chelsea do not win at Anfield, then the upper hand will be with Man United when play at the Stadium of Light against Sunderland. As a Chelsea fan here, I really hope the players will not get complacent and instead get the 3 points. Otherwise, we have to hope for Sunderland to do us a favor instead which we do not want to.

WOW Ledley King is playig today. First time for the season he has managed to play twice a week. Potentially very encouraging news for England that.

I think people should also be asking which Chelsea side will turn up. Will it be the one that turned up at Old Trafford a few weeks ago or the side that played miserably at White Hart Lane? I have to admit, Chelsea have been inconsistent in Away games this season. The players can play well for an away match and then fails horribly in the next away game. Apart from that, with all the news about Rafa linking with Juventus, Reina claiming Liverpool's "tank" is now empty etc, it could throw Chelsea into complacency mood. If that happens, I think I will just look forward to the FA Cup final. Because if Chelsea do not win at Anfield, then the upper hand will be with Man United when play at the Stadium of Light against Sunderland. As a Chelsea fan here, I really hope the players will not get complacent and instead get the 3 points. Otherwise, we have to hope for Sunderland to do us a favor instead which we do not want to.

I think that's our best chance. If a fully focused team turn up, they'll beat Liverpool and then we'll have to rely on Wigan to do something at Stamford Bridge. :laugh

However, as you said, you have been very inconsistent away from home - a different team at times. What you did to Stoke, Spurs so easily could've done to you.

Of course: worst case scenario would be you winning and us losing in which case, you'll be champions tomorrow. However, if you do slip up against Liverpool (even a draw would do us, remember), the boys will be so fired up against Sunderland and Rooney might be back for the game as well. Just don't rush him back too early, Fergie. We need him fit for the World Cup.

Edit: Going by today's table, Liverpool aren't going to get fourth - that'll work in your favour. Sir Alex has been planting the mind games seeds in Liverpool's heads though by appealing to their sense of pride. He's a master at this sort of thing...

Last edited:
There are couple of my friends and my own younger brother who is a Liverpool fan and they are all supporting for Chelsea. But I feel, if Rafa is going to leave Liverpool at the end of the season then why not leave on a high. Destroying Chelsea's title hopes wont be a bad thing. But what worries me is players' fatigue. Liverpool player 120 minutes on Thursday only to lose the game. They are already without Torres and now they have over over-rely on Gerrard who has been in his bad form this season. I am hoping that Chelsea turn out to be that side that lost 2-1 at Spurs, Wigan and Villa rather than the one that won 7-1 against Villa or 7-0 against Stoke.

Man United supporters for the second time ever in the Premier League will be cheering for our arch rivals Liverpool.

I think that's our best chance. If a fully focused team turn up, they'll beat Liverpool and then we'll have to rely on Wigan to do something at Stamford Bridge. :laugh

However, as you said, you have been very inconsistent away from home - a different team at times. What you did to Stoke, Spurs so easily could've done to you.

Of course: worst case scenario would be you winning and us losing in which case, you'll be champions tomorrow. However, if you do slip up against Liverpool (even a draw would do us, remember), the boys will be so fired up against Sunderland and Rooney might be back for the game as well. Just don't rush him back too early, Fergie. We need him fit for the World Cup.

Edit: Going by today's table, Liverpool aren't going to get fourth - that'll work in your favour. Sir Alex has been planting the mind games seeds in Liverpool's heads though by appealing to their sense of pride. He's a master at this sort of thing...

Can't argue with that. Spurs should have won more on that day. I certainly can't wait for the match and at the same, I'm not too sure whether I dare to watch it or not. :laugh

There are couple of my friends and my own younger brother who is a Liverpool fan and they are all supporting for Chelsea. But I feel, if Rafa is going to leave Liverpool at the end of the season then why not leave on a high. Destroying Chelsea's title hopes wont be a bad thing. But what worries me is players' fatigue. Liverpool player 120 minutes on Thursday only to lose the game. They are already without Torres and now they have over over-rely on Gerrard who has been in his bad form this season. I am hoping that Chelsea turn out to be that side that lost 2-1 at Spurs, Wigan and Villa rather than the one that won 7-1 against Villa or 7-0 against Stoke.

Man United supporters for the second time ever in the Premier League will be cheering for our arch rivals Liverpool.

Would Rafa really care about that? He and Alex Ferguson are not the best of friends. I think Rafa will be happy to make Fergie angry. If the same Chelsea that turned up at White Hart Lane turns up for this match, I think I will be better off doing something than going through the same nightmare again!

And just want to correct something, we did not play badly against Villa at Villa Park earlier this season as compared to the other Away losses. We loss that game because of poor defending from corners and did not finish the chances when going one-on-one situation against Friedel. Otherwise, the performance on that day was acceptable.

Also, it will be interesting if history repeats itself again. Liverpool did Man United a favor by beating Blackburn at Anfield about 15 years ago but Man United only able to draw against West Ham. The same thing might happen again considering Sunderland is not an easy place to go and get all 3 points anyway.

P.S. The Man City vs Spurs game should be interesting. Hope Spurs beat Man City and luckily Man City are not the holding the fourth spot at the moment. Otherwise, we might see another boring game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread