English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A potential good game turned out to be an average one. The sending off of Boyata really changed the game and not to mention, Mancini's team selection was rather bewildering and so is his tactics. His post match comment was even more bewildering. :facepalm

Hernandez has been taking tips from the girl from 'The Exorcist', with her 360 degree swivel head - what a goal that was. :D

Turning point of the season right there, I reckon.

Hernandez is the new best thing at United. Nani was roughed up and marked completely out of the game, every time he got the ball there were at least 3 people on him in an instance.

They played an incredibly cheap and dirty game, it's a shame to call them a football team really. As much as I don't agree with a lot of what the CAF said, I agreed with that.

Hernandez has been taking tips from the girl from 'The Exorcist', with her 360 degree swivel head - what a goal that was. :D

Turning point of the season right there, I reckon.

His second was more important, if far less impressive.

A tough fought win away from home is pretty much what united needed. If anything scoring late after conceding will benefit them more than if they strolled to a 3-0 win.

Didn't play well today but grind out a crucial and precious 3 points today. A draw or even a defeat would have been damaging considering both Arsenal and Manchester United won. So we are still 5 points ahead going into next week's big game against Liverpool.

Last edited:
Didn't play well today but grind out a crucial and precious 3 points today. A draw or even a defeat would have been damaging considering both Arsenal and Manchester United won. So we are still 5 points ahead going into next week's big game against Liverpool.

I can't believe you squeezed a win out of that one - you shouldn't even have got a point with the chances Blackburn had. Still, that's Chelsea all over right now - they have a winning mentality that carries them through games where they're not at their best. Hope you play like that when you come to Old Trafford. ;)

Regarding Liverpool, you'll roll them over I reckon - they're a joke right now.

I can't believe you squeezed a win out of that one - you shouldn't even have got a point with the chances Blackburn had. Still, that's Chelsea all over right now - they have a winning mentality that carries them through games where they're not at their best. Hope you play like that when you come to Old Trafford. ;)

Regarding Liverpool, you'll roll them over I reckon - they're a joke right now.

I don't deny that but even Manchester United used to squeezed out wins when they did not deserve to win. As for the match against Liverpool, I would be slightly cautious going into the match.

I don't deny that but even Manchester United used to squeezed out wins when they did not deserve to win. As for the match against Liverpool, I would be slightly cautious going into the match.

Absolutely, it's the way champions play. We did it and now you're doing it. At least we've started to return to it now, after the Stoke result.

Knew this was probably going to happen and it did. Again, we did not play well in the first half and fell behind to two Torres's goal(again!). The second goal came at a bad time and from there, I was happy to settle for a draw. In the second half, we played much better and how on earth we did not score with some of the chances we had was bewildering. Essien was badly missed today.

Having said that, Liverpool were the better team especially in the first half and just about deserved their victory. As for Chelsea, we haven't been playing well in recent weeks and even last week's win against Blackburn was rather fortunate perhaps. We really need to step up our game especially with crazy matches coming up in December. Not hitting the panic button yet(why need to?) but we need to react to this defeat on Wednesday against Fulham. Won't be easy but we must win it considering Manchester United and Arsenal have tough fixtures to deal with away from home.

Perhaps the only good thing we can take is that Arsenal lost at home(again!). And oh, Torres's second goal was brilliant. Anyway, can't wait for the Manchester derby. :D

Last edited:
To go from a high pressing Benitez side, to a positionally disciplined 2 banks of four Hodgson side was going to take time, and they seem to be working better as a unit now.

It was a solid defensive display from Liverpool, with some real spark from Torres. Deploying Maxi and Meireles in wide areas was a good idea from Hodgson. Defensively they became narrow and tight, while in offence they had much more creativity. Torres' movement out to wide areas certainly helped the link up play.

Any Man Utd fans who rememeber when Leeds beat them?

Yes, so you caught us on a bad day and knocked us out of the Cup. Your point? :rolleyes

Super weekend for us: Arsenal and Chelsea both losing - now the gap is down to two points - and even better than that, we're rediscovering our ability to score the late, late goals. :D

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Knew this was probably going to happen and it did. Again, we did not play well in the first half and fell behind to two Torres's goal(again!). The second goal came at a bad time and from there, I was happy to settle for a draw. In the second half, we played much better and how on earth we did not score with some of the chances we had was bewildering. Essien was badly missed today.

Having said that, Liverpool were the better team especially in the first half and just about deserved their victory. As for Chelsea, we haven't been playing well in recent weeks and even last week's win against Blackburn was rather fortunate perhaps. We really need to step up our game especially with crazy matches coming up in December. Not hitting the panic button yet(why need to?) but we need to react to this defeat on Wednesday against Fulham. Won't be easy but we must win it considering Manchester United and Arsenal have tough fixtures to deal with away from home.

Perhaps the only good thing we can take is the Arsenal lost at home(again!). And oh, Torres's second goal was brilliant. Can't wait for the Manchester derby though. :D

I think it'll be a good time to play them - they lost three on the bounce before this weekend, didn't they?

You were right about Liverpool then - right to be cautious.

I think that Chelsea are seriously missing Lampard. Zhirkov, Ramires and Essien are all fantastic players but they don't offer what Lampard does. His amazing ability to drop deep from attacks and yet at the same time offer driving runs into the box is crucial to the way they play.

As for being cautious about Liverpool, if it wasn't for two spectacular moments by Torres, I'm sure Hodgson would've once again got a lot of stick for being too negative. They can't rely on the flair of Torres or Gerrard every week, and that is the problem with how they play. When you play so deep and narrow, it's difficult to get players forward without completely ruining their shape and therefore Torres is left isolated, and they can't form chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread