English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched Premier League for 7 1/2 straight hours yesterday. :lol

Some players were in charitable mood yesterday giving free goals away to the opposition with the Fulham vs West Ham game being the main one.

----------

Me to! Man Utd have played about 1 game in 3 weeks! Not only is it ruining my fantasy sides but I have a fivefold bet on the Boxing Day fixtures which could win me 20 quid.

Won anything? :)

Berbatov strikes twice to give Manchester United a deserved win.

Won anything?

ste lied to me, thought I would get the same odds even though a couple of the games were called off (Liverpool & Everton) so left me with Tottenham, Man United and Celtic to win. Which of course they all did and banked myself ?7.93.

Will put another one on tomorrow's football.

Only saw the Spurs - Villa game yesterday. Spurs' second goal was absolutely sublime. Counter attacking football at its best.

Looking forward to today's game.

ste lied to me, thought I would get the same odds even though a couple of the games were called off (Liverpool & Everton) so left me with Tottenham, Man United and Celtic to win. Which of course they all did and banked myself ?7.93.

Will put another one on tomorrow's football.

The Celtic game was perhaps slightly fortunate considering they scored two very very late goals. Anyway, congrats and good luck with the next one. :)

----------

Only saw the Spurs - Villa game yesterday. Spurs' second goal was absolutely sublime. Counter attacking football at its best.

Yeah and Aston Villa now are not the same team as they used to be under Martin O'Neill which is slightly alarming.

Yep, already put my best on for tomorrow both fourfold this time and the only variation being one of the results. ?2 on Man United, Everton, Tottenham and Man City and then ?2 on Man Utd, Everton, Newcastle and Man City. I couldn't call the Tottenham vs Newcastle so had a punt on both :p.

Chelsea were absolutely terrible but Wenger got it 100% right.

Starting off with Chelsea, defensively shambolic. The Terry-Ivanovic parternship was awful. Way too much space between the two and positionally can not work together. Ivanovic is not a centre back. On the attack, they produced nothing. They lacked a "spark". Anelka would've certainly helped, his link up play is excellent.

Wenger made all the right decisions though. First off with Walcott who was absolutely brilliant. He pinned back Cole all game and nullified his threat, whilst also contributing with a goal and an assist. Then Diaby on for Walcott was what they needed in the centre, adding another combative player. However taking Walcott off meant that Cole was freed and was able to have an affect on the game. Wenger then brought on Rosicky though whose positioning is very good and was able to hold back Cole again.

Putting so much emphasis on the stopping of one player may seem strange, and looking into things to deeply, but Cole has been the most dangerous player Arsenal have faced when playing Chelsea in recent times. Drogba has scored the goals, but he finishes what he's given, and he's only given things when the likes of Cole provide it.

What Ancelotti did brilliantly last season was adjust his tactics to suit his most in form players. Chelsea played a diamond, christmas tree, then a 4-3-3 at different stages in the season depending on how well everyone was playing. Currently, they have a complete lack of cohesion in attack and aren't able to create chances. Defensively they've been awful as well but that isn't to do with tactics much - just the individual players playing badly.

Malouda is in pretty poor form, and Kalou is expendable. Chelsea should revert back to a diamond formation - at least temporarily. Drogba is being isolated on his own at the moment, and having Anelka alongside would be good because he links up the play - something Drogba doesn't do. The first team players that Chelsea have would suit the diamond midfield, but that's the problem. It's only the first team players, and playing the 4 main centre midfielders would mean that the bench would be even weaker.

Just our luck that the Stamford Bridge game got postponed - the way Chelsea are playing and the way we're playing, we might well have taken them apart!

Last edited:
Judging by the awful display at the Emirates, we looked more like the Arsenal who struggled to win against the big teams and they played like the Chelsea against Arsenal in recent meetings. We only had one shot on target and that was the goal! :facepalm

I cannot quite believe the way we gave those two goals. Absolutely pathetic! Why on earth they kept passing the ball between the two center backs really baffles me! :mad

At this rate, we might as well forget about retaining the title and focus on cup competitions. In fact, I can even see us losing to Bolton tomorrow and drop to sixth!

----------

Chelsea were absolutely terrible but Wenger got it 100% right.

Starting off with Chelsea, defensively shambolic. The Terry-Ivanovic parternship was awful. Way too much space between the two and positionally can not work together. Ivanovic is not a centre back. On the attack, they produced nothing. They lacked a "spark". Anelka would've certainly helped, his link up play is excellent.

Considering how poor Anelka played recently, I'm not even sure whether he would make any difference if he plays.

Wenger made all the right decisions though. First off with Walcott who was absolutely brilliant. He pinned back Cole all game and nullified his threat, whilst also contributing with a goal and an assist. Then Diaby on for Walcott was what they needed in the centre, adding another combative player. However taking Walcott off meant that Cole was freed and was able to have an affect on the game. Wenger then brought on Rosicky though whose positioning is very good and was able to hold back Cole again.

Putting so much emphasis on the stopping of one player may seem strange, and looking into things to deeply, but Cole has been the most dangerous player Arsenal have faced when playing Chelsea in recent times. Drogba has scored the goals, but he finishes what he's given, and he's only given things when the likes of Cole provide it.

I agree there. For once, Arsene Wenger got it right as 3 of the last 5 goals(excluding the game yesterday) we scored against them came from Ashley Cole. Playing Djourou was perhaps a good move too considering Drogba wasn't really effective.

What Ancelotti did brilliantly last season was adjust his tactics to suit his most in form players. Chelsea played a diamond, christmas tree, then a 4-3-3 at different stages in the season depending on how well everyone was playing. Currently, they have a complete lack of cohesion in attack and aren't able to create chances. Defensively they've been awful as well but that isn't to do with tactics much - just the individual players playing badly.

Malouda is in pretty poor form, and Kalou is expendable. Chelsea should revert back to a diamond formation - at least temporarily. Drogba is being isolated on his own at the moment, and having Anelka alongside would be good because he links up the play - something Drogba doesn't do. The first team players that Chelsea have would suit the diamond midfield, but that's the problem. It's only the first team players, and playing the 4 main centre midfielders would mean that the bench would be even weaker.

We switched to 4-3-3 last season was mainly because the diamond formation have been found out and some players were ineffective in it. E.g Lampard. And I don't think playing the diamond formation would make the bench any weaker because I think Ancelotti will probably play Mikel, Essien, Lampard and Malouda in the diamond. Those four players would start anyway even if go with the 4-3-3. As for Kalou, he is just far too inconsistent and unreliable!

Last edited:
Transfer Rumours:
Edin Dzeko=Man City, Liverpool(no way)
Pepe Reina=Man United
Hatem Ben Arfa=Liverpool
Nicolas Bendter=Aston Villa
Romelu Lukaku=Man United
Roque Santa Cruz=Lazio
Eden Hazard=Man United
Steve Defour=Man United, lolz 4th.
Sulley Muntari=Liverpool
Joe Cole=West Ham United
Ashley Young=Hotspurs, Man United
Gary Cahill=Chelsea
Jean Makoun=Hotspurs
Per Mertesacker=Arsenal
Shaun Wright-Philliphs=NewCastle United(Loan)
Carlos Vela=Espanyol
Connor Wickham=Arsenal
Wayne Bridge=West Ham United
Jonathan Woodgate=West Ham United
David Beckham=Blackburn Rovers
Robin van Persie=Inter Milan, what?:eek:
Daniele De Rossi=Man United(will it happen?)
Chris Brunt=Liverpool
Nani=Inter Milan
Ciaran Clark=Arsenal
Marek Hamsik=Liverpool

Remember, these are just Transfer rumours and might or might not occur.

The only 'transfer' I want to see this summer (Winter for you Northern lads) is Rafa Benitez ---> Liverpool.

Although, Hamsik <3 I'd feel bad for taking him from Napoli though. They're only three points off the Scudetto at the winter break! Forza Napoli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread