English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I would really mind if we can get Arshavin in as he will add a different dimension to our play because of his technical abilities. However, on the flip side of things, getting another player who becomes 30 year old later this year is not really a wise move considering we already have a bunch of 30s in our team.

Damn im surprised Arshavin is that old. I always thought he was somewhere between 25-27, ah well.

But even so i reckon Chelsea can get a few good years out of him. You guys bought Ballack when he was 29/30 as well.

Yeh Arshavin was a late bloomer. I find it amazing how quickly he's been targetted this season. He hasn't been great, far from his performances of previous seasons but he's still got a good number of assists though (don't know exact figure). He relies heavily on his pace and dribbling and that's going to deteriorate as he gets older, can't see that many good years left in him though.

Great win and a solid performance from the team. Drogba seemed like his old self again and scored a stunning goal too. Anyway, all the front 3 scored and Ramires got his first goal in English football makes the night even sweeter. This win will definitely give more confidence to the team and hope that carries on in the upcoming games. :)

----------

Also, this whole negotiation about signing David Luiz from Benfica is driving me nuts as it keeps on going back and forth. However, I just saw that the deal might be concluded today and I certainly hope so too as there only days left in the transfer window!

----------

Damn im surprised Arshavin is that old. I always thought he was somewhere between 25-27, ah well.

But even so i reckon Chelsea can get a few good years out of him. You guys bought Ballack when he was 29/30 as well.

True. Ballack still did a decent job for us even though he tends to go missing in games sometimes.

Andy Gray has been sacked by Sky Sports. Good riddance, came out with a load of bollocks the majority of the time. Surely Richard Keys has to follow?

Andy Gray has been sacked by Sky Sports. Good riddance, came out with a load of bollocks the majority of the time. Surely Richard Keys has to follow?

'I am in full support of Andy Gray what he said was in private and was his buisness not the publics. It is completely unfair that tv shows such as loose woman are allowed to be blatently sexist towards men week in week out on live tv on a widely watched tv channel teaching young girls that is is okay to be sexist towards men. LovearantLAD'

Amen.

Well, what a night that was! I heard on the BBC that it was 2-0 to Blackpool and thought that was it - I was shocked when I saw that scoreline. But this has been Man Utd's trademark down the years, although it hasn't been in evidence much this season. Rooney and Berbatov have completely reversed roles - with Rooney struggling and Berba banging in the goals and Hernandez is rapidly becoming the new Ole - lethal finisher, not too tall, lightning quick and a real 'Super Sub'! As for Giggsy - well, what can you say. The perfect role model for any youngster out there who wants to have a crack at being a pro footballer - ditto Scholes.

As for Andy Gray, I can see your point, Ollie. Maybe it's because Sky Football has a much wider audience than Loose Women, or maybe it is double standards - I don't know.

Anyway, I have nothing against Andy Gray but there's a quote in Fifa 11 that annoys me every time I hear it, when the commentators are blathering on about 'going to work, being fortunate to watch the games and doing their best to enjoy them' - not any more, Mr Gray! Not any more!!

He'll probably get snapped up by the BBC...

'I am in full support of Andy Gray what he said was in private and was his buisness not the publics. It is completely unfair that tv shows such as loose woman are allowed to be blatently sexist towards men week in week out on live tv on a widely watched tv channel teaching young girls that is is okay to be sexist towards men. LovearantLAD'

Amen.

Maybe it's just because I don't like Andy Gray at all.

Sky Sports isn't supposed to be anything like loose women though (which although i don't watch, seems like a jokey show). It's watched by younger audiences and it supposedly promotes all these good things. It wasn't even a tongue in cheek comment either - both him and keys were clearly being sexist and in this day and age isn't acceptable. End of the day, in the role he's in, he can't say things like that.

"Personally I'd have sacked him after he said Leo Messi wouldn't cut it at Stoke."

Amen to that.

As for the actual football..

1st half Blackpool took advantage of the awful Gibson in midfield. Completely overran midfield battle (clearly missed carrick) and well in control 1st half. The change after half time made the difference, Utd were much better at controlling the ball, and took advantage of the awful Blackpool defending.

Anyway, I have nothing against Andy Gray but there's a quote in Fifa 11 that annoys me every time I hear it, when the commentators are blathering on about 'going to work, being fortunate to watch the games and doing their best to enjoy them' - not any more, Mr Gray! Not any more!!

The commentary in FIFA games are already crap to begin with anyway.

----------

As for the actual football..

1st half Blackpool took advantage of the awful Gibson in midfield. Completely overran midfield battle (clearly missed carrick) and well in control 1st half. The change after half time made the difference, Utd were much better at controlling the ball, and took advantage of the awful Blackpool defending.

Seriously though, what can Gibson offers to this Man United midfield? The only thing that he seems to keep on doing is shooting from distance. Other than his some spectacular long range goals, I'm not really sure what to make of his contribution to the team.

Last edited:
Seriously though, what can Gibson offer to this Man United midfield? The only thing that he seems to keep on doing is shooting from distance. Other than his some spectacular long range goals, I'm not really sure what to make of his contribution to the team.
He's a decent passer but it's unlikely he'll become a regular for us. At the moment, he's just there as a fresh pair of legs. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sold at the end of the season.

He's a decent passer but it's unlikely he'll become a regular for us. At the moment, he's just there as a fresh pair of legs. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sold at the end of the season.

Man United would probably be better off with a creative midfielder with a better passing range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread