English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either that or Suarez is bought to partner Torres upfront. Anyway, it's better to prepare for possibilities that we won't be bringing anyone in this transfer window. :facepalm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

Torres hands in transfer request...

I hate being right its a right bitch :D :D

Ambramovic is very keen on Torres, and apparently asked his world cup sources and they said Torres wanted to leave Liverpool in summer. There are reported bad relations between Torres and others members of the side/staff. These relations were just assumed to be cleared up when Hodgson left, but maybe not so now.

However, Ancelotti not sure on him. Could be another Shevchenko...

Suarez for Torres swap is a massive step down. Suarez just isn't that good, and never will be. In summer a move for Rossi maybe?

I don't blame Torres for wanting to leave. Hodgson sacked after 6 months, temp. manager in charge, they're not in a good league position (although improving), being honest there's only 1 talented youngster for Liverpool and that's Pacheco. There's no long term plan in place, and in the short term they're failing as well. People talk about honouring contracts, but Liverpool would've stated their targets and ambitions beforehand, which they've obviously failed to meet.

As for Chelsea, I think Torres is a poor option. He's injury prone, won't be taken straight away by the fans, isn't Ancelotti's choice, and will expect to start straight away. When you look around the leagues you have the likes of Rossi, Cavani tearing up the leagues and would be much cheaper.

Liverpool rejects it and Torres stays with Liverpool even with the new bid.

So, why bother too much about it?

He wants to leave, which means if chelsea offer the right money which i reckon they will its a done deal, players call the shots,

As for Chelsea, I think Torres is a poor option. He's injury prone, won't be taken straight away by the fans, isn't Ancelotti's choice, and will expect to start straight away. When you look around the leagues you have the likes of Rossi, Cavani tearing up the leagues and would be much cheaper.

That is the problem IF we do get him and the fact that we are spending so much on him makes it even more depressing if he turns out to be another Shevchenko.

Furthermore, I'm struggling to see how he fits into the way we play. I don't think Ancelotti will start playing 3 strikers. So that would probably mean him rotating the strikers.

Also, what is really pathetic is that we look to have so much money to spend on Torres and yet we can't even afford to pay Benfica the full amount in one shot for David Luiz. :facepalm

----------

He wants to leave, which means if chelsea offer the right money which i reckon they will its a done deal, players call the shots,

We shall see. For all you know, it might even be another Rooney saga in the end.

Another fixture to play. :facepalm But we were fortunate to draw the game anyway. A decent performance in the first half was followed up by a poor one in the second half. Oh well...

Blues offer ?40m + Sturridge but Reds want ?50m + Anelka. I think this is very astute from Liverpool as we want an immediate replacement for Torres and not someone who can perhaps deliver in 2-3 years. Anelka is a proven goalscorer so it's good thinking from Liverpool. I will be very sad to see him go but I'm already resigned to the fact that if the deal isn't completed now (which is most likely as so little time is remaining) he will leave in the summer.

EXCLUSIVE: Liverpool Negotiating With Chelsea Over ?50m Fernando Torres Bid But Want Nicolas Anelka Included In Deal Instead Of Daniel Sturridge - Goal.com

Blues offer ?40m + Sturridge but Reds want ?50m + Anelka. I think this is very astute from Liverpool as we want an immediate replacement for Torres and not someone who can perhaps deliver in 2-3 years. Anelka is a proven goalscorer so it's good thinking from Liverpool. I will be very sad to see him go but I'm already resigned to the fact that if the deal isn't completed now (which is most likely as so little time is remaining) he will leave in the summer.

EXCLUSIVE: Liverpool Negotiating With Chelsea Over ?50m Fernando Torres Bid But Want Nicolas Anelka Included In Deal Instead Of Daniel Sturridge - Goal.com

Goal.com is not really a trustworthy website. And if even its true, how many years left is Anelka going to play in England anyway? He did say not too long ago that he wants to play in the MLS. Besides that, he has pretty much blow hot and cold this season. Either way, I wouldn't want to see us letting any player go as part of the deal.

Last edited:
Some ridiculous figures being bandied about for Torres, given that the far superior Villa joined Barcelona for ?34m.

Good to see we are not lying down and accepting a ?35m bid. We're trying to get the most out of this deal as possible. Nice change.

Though, I do like Sturridge....

Any power you guys had in negotiations were stumped when Torres handed in his transfer request.

What exactly are Spurs doing?

... and a fourth. Horrific defending.

Last edited:
Didn't watch the first half and not bothering to watch the game now either. But I did watch the highlights. Spurs's defending was just utterly awful. They just made it so easy for Fulham and if they do not learn from this, expect another trashing at the San Siro soon enough.

----------

A couple of interesting 5th Round FA Cup ties.

Fulham or Tottenham v Bolton or Wigan
Man Utd v Crawley
Everton or Chelsea v Reading
Leyton Orient v Arsenal
Birmingham City v Sheff Wed
Stoke City v Brighton
Notts County or Man City v Aston Villa
West Ham v Burnley

Man United's match against Crawley is arguably the easiest one of all but can also be potentially a tricky one if Sir Alex decides to change his team completely.

So, we got Reading at home if we Everton. At least it's at the Bridge but won't be easy as Reading have been reasonably good in the FA Cup recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread