English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Redknapp's tenure was an interesting one. He did some good things but he also did some terrible things. Levy is a very smart business man and he knew that Redknapp was not the man they needed in the long term.

He had the benefit of coming into take over a team that had finished 4th and 5th in recent seasons, but who were having a poor start. The press just loved to sell it as a manager taking a team from 18th to 5th. The reality is the ground work was in place already under Jol. Under Harry, we always looked like we were managed by someone who never quite believed we could beat the big clubs.

Pardew on the other hand, geninely took a recently promoted side from the Championship and finished midtable to 5th in the Prem. A remarkable achievement for a manager I really didn't rate beforehand.

I just really want to see Gio Dos Santos getting some proper game time now that Harry's gone. Far better than Lennon (though that's not saying much).

I just really want to see Gio Dos Santos getting some proper game time now that Harry's gone. Far better than Lennon (though that's not saying much).

I really don't understand what's happened to Lennon - remember him in the 2006 WC vs Portugal? They were terrified of him. Now, he's a shadow of that player.

Yes. He has put in some good performances, which is to be expected of a top player, but still not nearly consistent.

To me, he is Walcott, but worse, and I don't really rate Walcott much at all. Nothing going on really in between the ears usually, just pace. A sprinter who can kick a ball. Very inconsistent.

Rarely do quality defences get scared of him, but I think every team needs a player like him to play at times, either a great dribbler of the ball or a pace merchant. Considering just how bad some of the full backs are these days, it can really cause a defence problems. Can really help at times, just look at some of the performances guys like Walcott and Ben Arfa have put in. But the fact is, Gio Dos Santos still has the ability to be a world class player (or at least he did), so he should be ahead of Lennon. No-one has seen him play, so can't be certain how he's progressed, but things like his goal for Mexico a few weeks ago are what he is capable of. Plus he fits Tottenham's target of attractive football very well. Lennon is still a decent option, especially against the teams with slower and badly positioned full backs, but against a team like Man City with someone as fast as Clichy he is useless, Dos Santos is much better.

Lennon is just over-hyped for his speed, like you all say.

He's lost his crossing ability a bit, and has neglected working on his dribbling I guess during his early days.

Can some mod change the title to EPL thread 2012/2013? Feels outdated every time I click on the thread. :p

Yes, do that. On a side note, we must have a lot of Everton fans within, 21 votes. :eek:

Clearly barmyarmy's been creating multiple accounts. :spy

Or just hover to the edit poll options and be a boss? :p easier than double accs

----------

Well.

Giovani dos Santos to finalise Tottenham Hotspur exit - ESPN Soccernet

I had actually forgot that he's Spurs property, so don't blame him.

Louis Saha got better play time before being released than santos so it must suck to be waiting week by week not knowing if you're good to play or good to go out even on loan....etc. Pienaar actually did a nice thing by going back to everton.

Last edited:
I don't see why he should leave now that Harry is gone, it was only Harry that didn't like him, not Spurs.

Oh well, it makes Spurs a lot weaker losing him. Seems to have tailed off after having a lot of potential as a youngster, a la Joaquin, but I'm sure he can recover. Atletico or Sevilla would be good anyway, then he will move to a bigger club in a few years. He's that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread