English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus, Arsenal relies on attacking full backs. Chelsea does not. He'd do far better at Arsenal.

We don't rely on attacking full backs?! Where on earth do you think we got our attacking width from in the last few seasons when we didn't play with an out and out winger?!! :facepalm

Arsenal can go ahead and take him. He can't cross the ball, he slows down attacks and more importantly, he can't defend! His awareness and concentration levels are very very very average. IF you want to get the best out of him, play him at anywhere across the back four but RB. Kept Messi quiet when being played at LB and CB...

And oh, he wouldn't have started in the Champions League final had Ivanovic not been suspended for it.

Clearly every team relies on attacking full backs:p. Chelsea don't to the to the same extent Arsenal do though, that is what I meant to say, Wenger wants us having the whole bloody team attacking at times.

Yes, Ivanovic was unavailable due to suspension, I know. The fact is, he did a decent job in the game. If need be, he can be called upon to do a decent job whenever needed. The same can't be said about an inexperienced kid like Jenkinson. In no way will Bosingwa ever be first choice for us, Sagna is far better in every way.

Again, we are not comparing Bosingwa to a world class right back here. We are comparing him with Carl Jenkinson. We don't rely on crosses, for years we've had RVP up top who is poor in the air. Now perhaps, that may change with the arrival of Giroud who is great in the air, but still, he is no Chamakh that can only score with his head. The best we've gotten in the past is the occasional low cross that was good for a goal. Santos can't defend either, it isn't the end of the world. Barring Arshavin, all our wingers track back well. It is a definite weakness, but again, he is an improvement over Jenkinson.

Now you try and tell me he won't be a good player as second choice on a short-term contract as a free agent.

Good game yesterday for Liverpool. Youngsters really stepped up. Shelvey bossed the midfield and looked a lot more confident on the ball than he usually does. Suso was highly impressive with his vision, range of passing, and skill. Morgan's finishing and instinct has been talked about a lot and so he proved it yesterday. Sterling looked great. Very direct player who has no fear, great pace, dribbling, and decision making. He's only 17! Cole and Aquilani played decently as well. There could be a few very good young players breaking through this season. Exciting times.

Last edited:
lol you're getting excited based on one pre-season game where you drew against a canadian side.

it's no wonder that fans of other teams laugh when liverpool struggle

lol you're getting excited based on one pre-season game where you drew against a canadian side.

it's no wonder that fans of other teams laugh when liverpool struggle

I'm not excited by the result, nor did I say I was. I am excited by some of the players that got a go. I was actually disappointed by the fact that we had so much possession but lacked penetration. Brendan Rodgers said as much.

I didn't say you were excited by the result. I said you were excited after the game. which is what you said.

Teams don't generally get off to flyers in pre-season games, especially when there's just been a big tournament because the core of the squad is generally missing. Hell, City lost to some random Arab team and they're the Premier League Champions! United haven't found it easy to get results so far either. However, it is encouraging that Rodgers is willing to give the academy players a chance.

we had so much possession but lacked penetration.

Good old Liverpool.

The same will happen in the real season IMO. This alone is why regardless of the quality you possess, I just don't see you getting close to a decent Europa League or fourth spot. The foundations are there though, maybe next season.

I agree that pre-season is a good way to gauge the ability of players, plus it gives them confidence leading into the new season. Good on you guys if you can find replacements for Downing and Adam from within the club.

Good old Liverpool.

The same will happen in the real season IMO. This alone is why regardless of the quality you possess, I just don't see you getting close to a decent Europa League or fourth spot. The foundations are there though, maybe next season.

Well, to be honest, that penetration will come with time as Rodgers spends more time with the squad and more importantly, gets the bigger players back training.

Teams don't generally get off to flyers in pre-season games, especially when there's just been a big tournament because the core of the squad is generally missing. Hell, City lost to some random Arab team and they're the Premier League Champions! United haven't found it easy to get results so far either. However, it is encouraging that Rodgers is willing to give the academy players a chance.

true. but one pre-season game isn't anywhere near enough to get excited over players.

I mean Anichebe has been on fire for us pre-season from our games, and was even taking set pieces against motherwell.

I'm far from excited by this.

Well, to be honest, that penetration will come with time as Rodgers spends more time with the squad and more importantly, gets the bigger players back training.

He still needs a good finisher.

I don't know why he didn't just go for Ba's release clause instead of Borini.

Bebe saved our blushes against some team I've never heard of before - maybe there's hope for the lad yet...

IF he was good enough to be a second choice RB, we would have kept him. :rolleyes

Good point, didn't consider his wages fully. Must be very high. Probably rules him out then.

Just don't want to be starting the season with Jenkinson at RB... Maybe Coquelin can play there...

Bebe sets up the goal for Kagawa as United narrowly beat Shanghai. Maybe pressure is the main reason why he hasn't been successful so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread