English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC Sport - Andy Carroll: West Ham agree loan fee with Liverpool

Hmm, got to say, I was beginning to think it wouldn't happen.

From an English perspective, i'm a bit disappointed he isn't getting a chance under Rogers, given his good end of season form.

Carroll for me has been unfairly labelled a old fashion long-ball striker like Crouch, that can't fit into Rogers passing style that he will implement at Liverpool.

The guy has more to his game than that and he showed it at Newcastle.

Daniel Sturridge is likely to suffer the same fate at Chelsea, given the amount of players they have signed and if RVP goes to United, Welbeck could also have the same problem.

So essentially the Premier League is hurting the chances of English talent getting a chance at the big clubs. They are constantly loaned off from team to team, which is becoming a disturbing trend.

The players hurt themselves by not seeking more first team opportunities. Joe Hart worked hard to earn his City number one spot by gaining first team action. So to that end I'm actually happy that Carroll is going to go to a team where he will be the focal point of their attack.

Many of the world's top players cut their cloth at clubs that give them first team action. It's amazing how many players at the top clubs who don't make it due to missing out on their prime development years.

----------

Essentially, they don't all have to seek moves to the top clubs early on for the big wages. They could move to clubs that will make them their star player and look to really excel.

From an English perspective, i'm a bit disappointed he isn't getting a chance under Rogers, given his good end of season form.

Carroll for me has been unfairly labelled a old fashion long-ball striker like Crouch, that can't fit into Rogers passing style that he will implement at Liverpool.

The guy has more to his game than that and he showed it at Newcastle.

Daniel Sturridge is likely to suffer the same fate at Chelsea, given the amount of players they have signed and if RVP goes to United, Welbeck could also have the same problem.

So essentially the Premier League is hurting the chances of English talent getting a chance at the big clubs. They are constantly loaned off from team to team, which is becoming a disturbing trend.

Yep, gotta agree with that. I can really see Cleverley (damn spelling!) having a breakthrough season with Utd though.

The players hurt themselves by not seeking more first team opportunities. Joe Hart worked hard to earn his City number one spot by gaining first team action. So to that end I'm actually happy that Carroll is going to go to a team where he will be the focal point of their attack.

Many of the world's top players cut their cloth at clubs that give them first team action. It's amazing how many players at the top clubs who don't make it due to missing out on their prime development years.

----------

Essentially, they don't all have to seek moves to the top clubs early on for the big wages. They could move to clubs that will make them their star player and look to really excel.

Yea that's true. But in England in recent years almost every star young English player who gets a chance at a big club, initially has been sent down a lower club before he is entrusted at a major club of England.

Some make it like Wilshire and Hart. But i do feel in Spain, Italy, Germany an young Andy Carroll type player from those countries would get a longer chance to shine in those countries big clubs.

It all comes down back to to notion that, young English talent isn't trusted in the modern premier league big club unless they are SUPER impressive like a Gerrard, Rooney or Wilshire. The foreigner is always the preferred choice.

----------

Yep, gotta agree with that. I can really see Cleverley (damn spelling!) having a breakthrough season with Utd though.

Ye i got faith in young Tom for sure.

Also Crouch was unfairly labelled a long-ball striker. His strengths have always been his ability to bring a ball down with his feet. His heading is highly mediocre.

So, the parasites within our club are now going to sell 10% of it - but is the money raised going to finance the debt? No! A large chunk of it is going straight into their kerplucking pockets!

Sky Sports said the news was likely to infuriate Man Utd fans - DAMN BLOODY RIGHT I'M INFURIATED! :mad

Now they're carving the damn club up - still backing them, Sir Alex? :facepalm

Could it actually be harder to get rid of the Glazers?

Yes. "Anti-takeover provisions in our organizational documents and Cayman Islands law may discourage or prevent a change of control, even if an acquisition would be beneficial to our shareholders, which could depress the price of our shares and prevent attempts by our shareholders to replace or remove our current management," United state in the prospectus. This is a change in their constitution and, in addition, it allows the Glazers to issue more shares - which would dilute the holding of anyone else who buys them now.

Oh, what joy.
The fans want reduced debt, yes, partly because debt, and its repayments, is eating up United's profit (they have an adjusted EBITDA of ?305.1 million for the last three financial years when full figures are available, but net finance costs of ?277.1 million in the same time). But the Glazers had indicated they would use all the funds raised from a flotation to reduce the debt.

So they're liars as well as everything else. We all know they're now actually going to pocket around half of the money raised. :mad

Last edited:
Really warming up to Joe Allen's speculated transfer to Liverpool now. He just bosses games and almost never misplaces a pass. So calm and composed on the ball. Would be a great addition irrespective of his price tag, I feel.

Last edited:
Really warming up to Joe Allen's speculated transfer to Liverpool now. He just bosses games and almost never misplaces a pass. So calm and composed on the ball. Would be a great addition irrespective of his price tag, I feel.

Yup, I've been thinking that as well. One of the best midfielders in Europe last season believe it or not based on stats (can't be that reliable though since Leon Britton had the highest successful pass rate in Europe:p), and Rodgers knows exactly how to use him to the best of his ability. Very good signing if it means less reliance on the other failed transfers. He's also very young so has the potential to be a top class player for Liverpool for many seasons.

Only concern is just one season of top flight experience, and 13 m is at least double what he is worth.

I think our owners are pretty much ready to splash the cash on any player, provided their wage demands are low, which happens to be the case with Joe Allen. He earns only 70k/week, compared to Aquilani's 120k and (Adam + Spearing)'s 110k.

Allen is definitely talented (was outstanding against Uruguay yesterday along with Bellers), but like Don says, his price tag is almost double for what he's actually worth.

Oh and he's a lifelong fan of Man Utd as well. :p

I think our owners are pretty much ready to splash the cash on any player, provided their wage demands are low, which happens to be the case with Joe Allen. He earns only 70k/week, compared to Aquilani's 120k and (Adam + Spearing)'s 110k.

Allen is definitely talented (was outstanding against Uruguay yesterday along with Bellers), but like Don says, his price tag is almost double for what he's actually worth.

Oh and he's a lifelong fan of Man Utd as well. :p

Surely a deal breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread