English Football Thread 2012/2013

Who will win the 2012/13 Premier League?

• Manchester City

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Manchester Utd

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spurs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Everton

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit it was against a pretty poor side that didn't know how to defend (a high line that Suarez incessantly penetrated), but Liverpool put in a splendid performance tonight. Totally dominated the game and as BR pointed out after the match, with a new manager, improvements/changes are being made very fast. For example, last week, Gomel had about 20 shots and today just one or two. Downing was alright for once, but Borini and Suarez were incredible. Both of them are real pests and with Suarez's skill and Borini's positional sense and eye for goal, it should be a good partnership. Great interchange of positions and understanding that was very impressive for two players that were playing together for the first time. Gerrard and Suarez also showed their telepathic connection once again. Shelvey was calm and composed at the back and had a huge role to play in the first two goals from deep. Lucas still looks a little afraid to go into a tackle which is understandable as he's only just come back but he's running well and he had a good game.

Joe Allen was in the crowd today and as BR said, the fees have been agreed and it looks as if it's almost done.

Last edited:
Gerrard in truth can really link with anybody but a midfielder.......

----------

Also, I guess its time to change the poll.

I'll admit it was against a pretty poor side that didn't know how to defend (a high line that Suarez incessantly penetrated), but Liverpool put in a splendid performance tonight. Totally dominated the game and as BR pointed out after the match, with a new manager, improvements/changes are being made very fast. For example, last week, Gomel had about 20 shots and today just one or two. Downing was alright for once, but Borini and Suarez were incredible. Both of them are real pests and with Suarez's skill and Borini's positional sense and eye for goal, it should be a good partnership. Great interchange of positions and understanding that was very impressive for two players that were playing together for the first time. Gerrard and Suarez also showed their telepathic connection once again. Shelvey was calm and composed at the back and had a huge role to play in the first two goals from deep. Lucas still looks a little afraid to go into a tackle which is understandable as he's only just come back but he's running well and he had a good game.

Joe Allen was in the crowd today and as BR said, the fees have been agreed and it looks as if it's almost done.

Didn't see the game, but interested to hear you say young English player Shelvey impressed in deep mid-field role.

Didn't see the game, but interested to hear you say young English player Shelvey impressed in deep mid-field role.

He does have a certain amount of raw talent. He is a bit rash in the tackle, his shooting is powerful but usually off target, but he does have some vision, and a fair bit of strength and speed. Still very raw and rough around the edges, but another loan could do him well. He came back from his last loan spell from Blackpool a better player. It is interesting to see that Rodgers seems to prefer him to both Adam and Henderson though.

Felt so good to finally see a Liverpool XI without the likes of Carroll, Adam and Spearing (Adam & Spearing did arrive as late second half subs though). Suarez was world class, Borini very impressive as well, even Downing looked alright(!), but Shelvey to me was pretty average. Was caught out of possession too many times for my liking and his tackles were pretty rash too. I'd loan him again tbh.

Just hope Dagger stays. Gerrard's interview really didn't help that cause though - "Danny's future at Anfield is out of his hands." :(

City looked pretty impressive today

Chelsea didn't look great tbh, good for Torres to get a goal and I thought Hazard look lively,

But can see a season of negative football this year from us, hazard and Oscar will be good signings but to change our style to suit them will take time,

Early days I suppose,, :(

Liverpool vs Leverkusen friendly- first half was a dominant performance from Liverpool. Good passing, pressing, organization and all round very fluid football. Carroll, Henderson, Adam, and Spearing come on in the 2nd half. Well, you know the rest. This was Roders' plan B for when Carroll has to play and it didn't look very good. While Carroll himself had a very good half, I just don't see it working under Rodgers. Very little ball possession, the ball isn't kept on the ground enough, slow and jerky movements, rash and last minute tackles- it was in complete contrast to the first half.

Chelsea needs a back-up striker. Borini could've done the job, but he ain't here for you.

Chelsea didn't look great tbh, good for Torres to get a goal and I thought Hazard look lively,

But can see a season of negative football this year from us, hazard and Oscar will be good signings but to change our style to suit them will take time,

How can a manager change your style when they'll be given 5 months and if they haven't changed it and won everything, will be fired? Roman is taking Chelsea down a dangerous path where it won't be long before no one will want the job and players will only sign for stupid money.

Would love a front line 3 comprising of Sterling, Borini and Suarez next weekend against West Brom. Sterling easily my MOTM against Leverkusen today.

Anyway, can't quite recall the previous time a side that won the Community Shield won the Premiership in the same season. United came closest to breaking that hoodoo last season, before "AGUERRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOO!!!" happened. :p

Hearing that City may be play 3-4-3/3-5-2 this season. Would love to see that.

Harry played something similar for Spurs in one game, it worked really well... then he never tried it again :rolleyes

It was a decent effort with 10 men but there was more rubbish defending once again. And Kevin Friend was absolutely awful yesterday. Totally inept and inconsistent refereeing! City made so many crude and robust challenges especially on Hazard but hardly got a card. We made 1-2 and we got one.

Have no complains with Ivanovic's sending off but just a minute or two before that, Savic should have been sent off for a 2nd yellow after he impeded Torres!

Chelsea needs a back-up striker. Borini could've done the job, but he ain't here for you.

OH NO! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!

Anyway, can't quite recall the previous time a side that won the Community Shield won the Premiership in the same season. United came closest to breaking that hoodoo last season, before "AGUERRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOO!!!" happened. :p

Errr, it's only like 2 seasons ago - 2010/11 season.

Harry played something similar for Spurs in one game, it worked really well... then he never tried it again :rolleyes

He played that in the 2nd half against Stoke at the Britannia last season. Worked well then. Completely battered Stoke.

Yep, even though we didn't get any luck that day, we were absolutely rampant. Walker and Bale are incredibly natural wing-backs. Still, it's a formation very few people are really prepared to play due to the potential to get exposed in behind out wide.

@Jason: Yep you're right. Presumed the 2010-11 Community Shield winners to be Chelsea for some reason. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread